From: John H Meyers on
On 6/28/2010 3:09 PM:

>> Installed 6.2 [rather than 7.1] over 5.2 ...
> I tried 7.1 on my laptop. Didn't care for it.

When I upgraded 6.2.5.6 to 7.1.0.9 and changed one setting
(to suppress the new "Recent" menu), I found it impossible
to distinguish the latter from the former,
except that a few small but very useful improvements
(and hardening against crashes) had been made, as well as bug fixes.

The only thing about which I've ever heard controversy,
that 7.1 is not the best version in every way,
is some complaint about IMAP, which I don't use extensively
and have never been able to reproduce,
plus one issue with address book on Windows 98
(which caused version 7's "system requirements"
to be updated to drop support for Windows 98, even though
we once had perfectly satisfied users of E7 on Win98,
back when we had any Win98 users at all).

From: jj on
On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 17:09:21 -0500, John H Meyers
<jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:

>On 6/28/2010 3:09 PM:
>
>>> Installed 6.2 [rather than 7.1] over 5.2 ...
>> I tried 7.1 on my laptop. Didn't care for it.
>
>When I upgraded 6.2.5.6 to 7.1.0.9 and changed one setting
>(to suppress the new "Recent" menu), I found it impossible
>to distinguish the latter from the former,
>except that a few small but very useful improvements
>(and hardening against crashes) had been made, as well as bug fixes.

I'm using 6.2.3.4, can't recall it ever crashing. What bug fixes are
we talking? I'm not aware of any recurring bugs in 6.2.3.4, but that
may be because I don't use the buggy features.
From: John H Meyers on
On 6/29/2010 2:18 PM:

> I'm using 6.2.3.4

That's at least the first version that has a complete settings interface,
capable of working with all ISPs (especially with SMTP port 587).

> What bug fixes are we talking?

Most updates are described in the cumulative "Release Notes"
http://www.eudora.com/download/eudora/windows/7.1/RelNotes.txt

Note how many times the word "Fixed" appears ;-)

Someone who seems to know a great deal says that
crashes due to large "In" or "Out" mailboxes (or Windows memory issues?
Or unexpected abrupt shutdowns?) were made much less likely,
perhaps in only the last version.

> I'm not aware of any recurring bugs in 6.2.3.4, but that
> may be because I don't use the buggy features.

The idea behind "insurance" is that you have to take out a policy
before any accident ever happens ;-)

The parents of a young friend of mine got him the very brand of car
which fared best during crash tests -- even though he had never yet
(and still hasn't) actually had a crash. Were they wise or foolish?

From: Jim Thompson on
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 23:36:02 -0700, Dennis Lee Bieber
<wlfraed(a)ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 17:38:27 -0500, John H Meyers
><jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> declaimed the following in
>comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows:
>
>> The parents of a young friend of mine got him the very brand of car
>> which fared best during crash tests -- even though he had never yet
>> (and still hasn't) actually had a crash. Were they wise or foolish?
>
> Depends upon what the tests prove? After all, I suspect an H1 Hummer
>(the original, based on the military hum-vee) is going to be much safer
>for the occupant, even if it lacked airbags, when running into a highly
>rated creation with crumple zone, front/side/top air-bags, etc. (which
>the H1 would probably climb right over -- I specified the H1 for a
>reason -- the central ground clearance is taller than some subcompact
>engine intakes)
>
> The safest vehicles, in a collision, for a high school grad are not
>these small, low-cost, design-your-own boxes (like the Scion xB, Honda
>Fit, etc.) but expensive, great big, land yachts with less the the most
>sporting performance. Just in simple inertia the deceleration forces of
>a collision will be proportionately less for them.

Yep. All four of my children were required to drive an old chunky
1970 Ford Torino for one year before I would buy them a new compact
car ;-)

They turned 16 in 1978, 1980, 1986, and 1988.

After the last kid drove it, I sold it to a technician working for me,
who promptly ran his own kids thru the same rigor :-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Obama: A reincarnation of Nixon, narcissistically posing in
politically-correct black-face, but with fewer scruples.