From: Jeff Strickland on

"James D. Andrews" <jamesdandrews(a)att.net> wrote in message
> I'm a little confused about selecting Windows for the system I'm building.
>
> I'm coming across a version Windows # for System Builders.
>
> What difference is there between this and the Retail version?
> Do I go with this for the comp I'm building, or should I stear clear of it
> and stick to the Retail version?
>
> Thanks

The difference with the builder's version and the retail version is, you
can't call for help to setup the builder version.

As a builder, they assume you know what you are doing and won't be calling
for help, so they discount the value of the help that they won't be
providing. Since they have discounted the value of the help you don't need,
they won't help you.

From: James D. Andrews on

"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "James D. Andrews" <jamesdandrews(a)att.net> wrote in message
>> I'm a little confused about selecting Windows for the system I'm
>> building.
>>
>> I'm coming across a version Windows # for System Builders.
>>
>> What difference is there between this and the Retail version?
>> Do I go with this for the comp I'm building, or should I stear clear of
>> it and stick to the Retail version?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> The difference with the builder's version and the retail version is, you
> can't call for help to setup the builder version.
>
> As a builder, they assume you know what you are doing and won't be calling
> for help, so they discount the value of the help that they won't be
> providing. Since they have discounted the value of the help you don't
> need, they won't help you.

Gotcha! Thanks!

From: James D. Andrews on

> "JD" <No.Reply(a)Sorry.com> wrote in message
>> On 08/05/2010 8:47 PM, James D. Andrews wrote:
>>> Somewhat, JD. thanks.
>>> I guess the question now is what is meant by Microsoft support? Are we
>>> talking about calling MS about problems, or something else?
>>>

>> Anything other than problems with the serial number would be Technical
>> Support, there is a 3rd option for windows 7:
>>
>> Win 7 Upgrade, just checked my suppler and win 7 home premium upgrade is
>> cheaper than OEM home premium, this would give you best of both with it
>> being cheaper and it should have support as its intended for home users,
>> however you will have to do some messing about by installing a previous
>> version of windows, dont worry about drivers or activating it as you're
>> going to be scrubbing it anyway, win 7 CUSTOM INSTALL, Delete old
>> partitions and clear the drive.
>>
>> JD
>
> Upgrades are always cheaper than full versions. To use an Upgrade, one
> must have a qualified base installed first. Or, at least have access to
> the CD of the qualified base
>
> I hate to be a naysayer, but if one asks questions like this they should
> stick to the full version.

Without a spare previous OS, I'll probably not be able to use an Upgrade
version (since I doubt it supports upgrading from an old 98 disk).

And in your last paragraph above, you pegged it for me. Pay the extra bucks
and get the retail version.

Thanks

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2