From: James D. Andrews on
I'm a little confused about selecting Windows for the system I'm building.

I'm coming across a version Windows # for System Builders.

What difference is there between this and the Retail version?
Do I go with this for the comp I'm building, or should I stear clear of it
and stick to the Retail version?

Thanks

From: JD on
On 07/05/2010 8:18 PM, James D. Andrews wrote:
> I'm a little confused about selecting Windows for the system I'm building.
>
> I'm coming across a version Windows # for System Builders.
>
> What difference is there between this and the Retail version?
> Do I go with this for the comp I'm building, or should I stear clear of it
> and stick to the Retail version?
>
> Thanks
>

> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news(a)netfront.net ---

OEM version is for system builders, Cheaper, no support from Microsoft
only valid on one PC for one use.

Retail version, Costs more, Supported by Microsoft, Can be installed on
any machine you own (only once tho) so if you build a new machine you
can legally delete it from the old machine and Install it on the new
machine.

Microsoft has changed the OEM license for windows 7, you are now
supposed to use the OEM version on the condition you are SELLING the PC
however this is near imposable to enforce or monitor.

if you are technically minded and can fix your own problems go for OEM,
if you upgrade a lot (mobo and cpu specifically as these will count as a
new PC) or need technical support get retail.

hope that helps
JD

From: James D. Andrews on

"JD" <No.Reply(a)Sorry.com> wrote in message
> On 07/05/2010 8:18 PM, James D. Andrews wrote:
>> I'm a little confused about selecting Windows for the system I'm
>> building.
>>
>> I'm coming across a version Windows # for System Builders.
>>
>> What difference is there between this and the Retail version?
>> Do I go with this for the comp I'm building, or should I stear clear of
>> it
>> and stick to the Retail version?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news(a)netfront.net ---
>
> OEM version is for system builders, Cheaper, no support from Microsoft
> only valid on one PC for one use.
>
> Retail version, Costs more, Supported by Microsoft, Can be installed on
> any machine you own (only once tho) so if you build a new machine you can
> legally delete it from the old machine and Install it on the new machine.
>
> Microsoft has changed the OEM license for windows 7, you are now supposed
> to use the OEM version on the condition you are SELLING the PC however
> this is near imposable to enforce or monitor.
>
> if you are technically minded and can fix your own problems go for OEM, if
> you upgrade a lot (mobo and cpu specifically as these will count as a new
> PC) or need technical support get retail.
>
> hope that helps
> JD

Somewhat, JD. thanks.
I guess the question now is what is meant by Microsoft support? Are we
talking about calling MS about problems, or something else?

From: JD on
On 08/05/2010 8:47 PM, James D. Andrews wrote:
> Somewhat, JD. thanks.
> I guess the question now is what is meant by Microsoft support? Are we
> talking about calling MS about problems, or something else?

Anything other than problems with the serial number would be Technical
Support, there is a 3rd option for windows 7:

Win 7 Upgrade, just checked my suppler and win 7 home premium upgrade is
cheaper than OEM home premium, this would give you best of both with it
being cheaper and it should have support as its intended for home users,
however you will have to do some messing about by installing a previous
version of windows, dont worry about drivers or activating it as your
going to be scrubbing it anyway, win 7 CUSTOM INSTALL, Delete old
partitions and clear the drive.

JD
From: Jeff Strickland on

> On 08/05/2010 8:47 PM, James D. Andrews wrote:
>> Somewhat, JD. thanks.
>> I guess the question now is what is meant by Microsoft support? Are we
>> talking about calling MS about problems, or something else?
>>

> Anything other than problems with the serial number would be Technical
> Support, there is a 3rd option for windows 7:
>
> Win 7 Upgrade, just checked my suppler and win 7 home premium upgrade is
> cheaper than OEM home premium, this would give you best of both with it
> being cheaper and it should have support as its intended for home users,
> however you will have to do some messing about by installing a previous
> version of windows, dont worry about drivers or activating it as you're
> going to be scrubbing it anyway, win 7 CUSTOM INSTALL, Delete old
> partitions and clear the drive.
>
> JD

Upgrades are always cheaper than full versions. To use an Upgrade, one must
have a qualified base installed first. Or, at least have access to the CD of
the qualified base

I hate to be a naysayer, but if one asks questions like this they should
stick to the full version.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Mybook - error 51