From: Aaron on
BACKGROUND:
I have 42 full time employess at my organization and 121 devices (85 fat
clients & 36 thin clients).
I am purchasing a new Windows 2008 server, running Exchange Standard to
replace an existing 2003 Exchange standard server.
I have an additional Windows 2003 server, running terminal services.

CURRENT LICENSES (FULL TIME EMPLOYEES):
45 Windows 2008 user CALS
45 Exchange 2010 user CALS
40 Windows 2008 TS user CALS

QUESTION:
We hire a variable number of extra part time staff throughout the year to do
computer work. Some may use a thin clients and some may use a fat client.
What type of CALS (user or device) and how many should I purchase?
From: Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] on
Liscensing questions are best answered by the licensing team at the distributor
or my MS themselves. Nothing you see here should be relied upon, as the
rules are arcane and difficult.

I suggest you contact your distributor or contact the MS licensing office
for more info about product license FOR FREE. Licensing Office can be reached
at 1-800-426-9400 (select option 4), Monday through Friday, 6:00 A.M. to
6:00 P.M. (PST). Worldwide customers can use the Guide to Worldwide Microsoft
Licensing Sites

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/index/worldwide.mspx to find contact information
in their locations.

-Larry

-Please post the resolution to your issue so others may benefit.

-Get Your SBS Health Check at www.sbsbpa.com

From: Leythos on
In article <94CC522C-BE10-4194-8ECC-964BE93E6331(a)microsoft.com>,
Aaron(a)discussions.microsoft.com says...
> We hire a variable number of extra part time staff throughout the year to do
> computer work. Some may use a thin clients and some may use a fat client.
> What type of CALS (user or device) and how many should I purchase?

Device cals allow more than one user to use a single computer (device).

If you have a Station (Thin Client) that 4 people use, a device cal
works best, but, if those same 4 people also remotely access the server
from home, via RD, well, you would need to consider that their computers
are not licensed (unless you also bought device cals for them).

If you buy a User cal, the user can connect from any system and be
licensed.

Licensing can be confusing, consult a vendor that understands it
properly.

Trust yourself.