From: Ben Myers on
DaveJohnson12(a)nomail. wrote:
> [...]
>>> I think I might wait until I have copied my data from the drive before running HDAT2.

>>> I tried Nero 6. It worked. Some of the OEM versions only allow you to use Nero Express
>>> which has fewer features.
>>>
>>> Thanks for all the detailed information.
>>>
>>> I tried booting from the Seatools boot CD.
>>>
>>> There was some information about FreeDOS then there was some kind of an error. It said:
>>>
>>> getFATblock failed: 0x000000E8
>>> Interrupt divide by zero, stack:
>>> 03C0 0000
>>> and some more 4 character sequences. It looks like an error in the Seatools program but
>>> I'm not sure.
>>>
>>> I think I will try running Seatools for Windows from the a new hard disk that I ordered
>>> once I get Windows installed on it. Then I will try HDAT2. Thank you.
>>>
>> I have two versions of Seatools for DOS. One has a Windows-like GUI
>> interface and the other is text-only with mouse support. Sometimes one
>> works. Sometimes the other. Neither Seagate nor Western Digital has
>> its act completely together with hard drive diagnostics.
>
> Oh I see. It's possible that the GUI thing is causing the problem. I should have realized
> that because I read something about it on their site. I'll try the text version.
>
>> I only run the WD Data Lifeguard diagnostic from floppy, because a CD
>> with their ISO simply does not work. When I reported the problem to WD,
>> their tech support told me I had a bad download, that my system's BIOS
>> was the problem, and made every excuse possible. I told the idiots that
>> I downloaded it several times and tried it, and that their diagnostic CD
>> fails on every system I ever used it on, including Intel-brand
>> motherboards. WD customer support needs to learn how to deal with real
>> live customers.
>
> I don't think WD's customer support people work for WD. I had to get them to escalate my
> call yesterday to level 2 in order to talk to someone who could accurately answer my
> question. They connected me to someone in the US at their corporate headquarters.
>
>> You might even run HDAT2 from bootable CD even before you switch drives.
>> It will give you a good indication of the overall health of the drive
>> and how much time it may have left. Seagate manages to mung up some of
>> the SMART values (as do other drive manufacturers), but you'll recognize
>> them because the values are so outrageous. SMART is supposed to be an
>> industry standard. HA! Someone should inform the drive manufacturers.
>>
>> ... Ben Myers
>
> The only reason I'm thinking about waiting until I copy my data before using HDAT2 is I
> don't know much about the software and there might be some small risk of messing up the
> hard disk worse than it is. I won't be using the hard disk again until I copy data from
> it. Just in case it is about to fail completely I think I might also wait until I copy my
> data before trying the text version of Seatools. Thanks for all your help.

As with any troublesome hard drive, the risk is that it will spin up
this time, but never again. And nobody can quantify the risk. I guess
I agree that you need to play safe here... Ben
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> No the newest chipset I have in my old computers is the Intel 440 BX. ;-)
> :-)

Hey, if they're useful, why not? I'm sitting next to an HP Vectra VL Pentium
II/450 that's humming away nicely on Windows 2000.

And I recently built something out of a Pentium Pro-based Vectra VA Series
6/200. Something that, as it turned out, could do more than hold its own
against an Apple Time C[r]apsule:

http://greyghost.mooo.com/timecapsule-vs-freenas/

Good luck! I hope you get things up and going again.

William