From: BillBled on
Tony,
Yes, flashing the BIOS was after the Avast upgrade and part of my attempt to
repair. Also, I have another identical machine (I've actually built 3 of
these the exact same way) and I have removed the hard drive out of the
problem machine and put it in the other one, which boots fine with its own
normal hard drive. When I install the problem HD into it, it acts the exact
same way - no boot. So I am pretty sure that something has happened to the
hard drive itself. It's not a problem on the motherboard or with SATA cables
or CMOS batteries or resets. If it was, then when I moved the HD to the other
machine, the behaviour would be different. It isn't. It's identical. No boot,
and when I do actually get into Safe Mode, it stops at the same place
(biosinfo.inf).

And speaking on that, I thought that the file biosinfo.inf might be a
problem. So I copied it from the twin machine back to the damaged one. Still
no difference. Exact same result - no boot, etc.

I really think something is wrong in the boot files that was corrupted when
the Avast update was done. I do not believe it is any sort of hardware issue,
since when I move the HD to the twin machine (which runs fine) I get the same
results.
Thanks,
--Bill

From: Dominic Payer on
This sounds like a disk hardware failure that coincided with the Avast
update.

Download and run the disk manufacturer's test utility. That will tell you
what is wrong with the disk.

From: John Barnes on
The last listed item is the last one that successfully loaded, not the
problem one. You could try installing a good system into your problem
machine. That you say you cannot get to recovery console or boot the XP
install cd has nothing to do with anything past the BIOS. The install cd
goes past the license agreement (and recovery console) with no HD, as when
you haven't installed necessary SATA drivers. You should therefore try to do
your repairs from one of the other machines where you can access the boot
files, fixmbr and fixboot.

From: BillBled on
Hi Dominic,
OK - I hear you. But....I can run the "damaged" disk on the good computer
and I can see all of the data on the disk. It just won't boot the operating
system on its own. But I will download and run the Seagate diagnostics when I
get home tonight around 10pm (it's 8:37am EST here now).
Thanks,
Bill

From: BillBled on
Hi John,
Thanks for replying.
I do have complete access to the drive when it is running on my other
computer, which is also a x64 box. My limitation is that I'm trying to figure
out (or be told) what utilitiies I can use within the x64 environment, since
that is 100% what I am dealing with. I didn't think that all of the normal XP
(32bit) tools would work in the x64 realm.

I'm going to run the HD diagnostics from Seagate, but do you have any
specific diagnostics that come to mind with respect to the x64 O/S? I ran
chkdsk /f last night and it said it fixed some things - but still no boot
when I tried the drive by itself.

I realize I can just format the drive, and reload x64 and go from there, but
that's not really the point. I'm trying to understand what went wrong and
repair it.
Thanks for everyone's help and ideas!
-Bill