From: BillBled on
Final Update - 4 Nov 07 at 9:10pm EST

First off, thank you all (and I do mean all) very much for the help and
advice. I finally gave up and blew the partition away, remade a new
partition, reformatted and reloaded and everything is fine now. There were no
hardware problems anywhere on the box.

Some specifics:
1- I was getting nowhere in getting the drive to boot on its original box.
It would not boot on my hardware identical box either, so I knew the problem
was either a hard drive failure or a Win x64 software failure of some sort.
The drive passed all of the Seagate drive tests just fine, so I crossed hard
drive failure off the list.
2- I pulled all of the data off of the bad drive (thank God I could get to
all of the data just fine) and copied it all over to my good drive.
3- Then, with the bad drive still running on my good, bootable x64 computer,
I go into Computer Management - Disk Management and delete the partition on
the bad drive. Now it is just "unpartitioned space".
4- I then take the "unpartitioned" drive over to the "bad" computer. NOW
(with the partition gone), it will boot to the x64 CD just fine. I launch the
x64 setup program, make the new partition and format it and install x64 and
all is good.

I just got back from delivering the computer to it's owner.

It is really frustrating because I never was able to figure out what went
wrong in the software to keep the drive from booting. But with the tests that
I did, and the fact that once I blew the partition away and re-loaded and
reformatted and everything was fine - I have to assume the hardware was not
at fault.
Thanks again to everyone for their help. I just wanted to update you all on
the final outcome and not leave this thread hanging.
--Bill