From: Sean Lin on
Here is their solution. I have done it and it did correct the problem of the
update failing to
install.

Step 1: Download Microsoft Windows Installer CleanUp utility
====================================
1. Visit:
LINK
2. Save the file to your computer.
3. Right click "msicuu2.exe", click "Run as administrator" and follow the
wizard to install this tool on your computer.

Step 2: Remove .NET Framework
========================
1. Click Start ->All Programs->Windows Installer Clean Up, click Allow.
2. See if you can find .Net Framework software. If so, remove them.
After that, please restart the computer and perform the following
suggestions to reinstall .NET framework 1.1 and the updates for it.

Step 3: Install .NET Framework 1.1 Redistributable Package and related updates
1. Please download the Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable
Package from the following link and save it to the C drive (C:\)

1) Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package
LINK

2) Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
LINK

3) Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1
(KB928366)
LINK

4) .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 SYSTEM.WEB.DLL and MSCOREE.DLL Security
Update for Windows Vista (KB929729)
LINK

From: thegremlin on
My system would not let me install program. Error message came saying the
program was being closed. Any suggestions?

From: Chris on
Does not work still getting error code 643 trying to install Security Update
for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1 (KB886903) seems
cant fix it anyone know how? Should have stayed with my mac!

Download size: 1.5 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to
compromise your Windows-based system running the Microsoft .NET Framework and
gain access to restricted data. You can help protect your computer by
installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may
have to restart your computer.

More information:

Help and Support:

From: Dan on
Thanks for the research Sean. Reinstall of the .NET Framework and Service
Pack 1 was a solution for me on this issue.

From: Jim Roberts on
I have XP Home SP2 and have tried to download .NET Framework via windows
update and from the dowload page but which ever version I try I get error
duing installation. Since I am installing for the first time there is no old
version as in the solutions of MS. All other updates work. I have followed
this and other threads and the articles of MS knowledge database, but none of
them produce a solution.
Please can you find a final solution to this unending problem.
--
Jim Roberts
If there are 3 options take the one needing most faith