From: FromTheRafters on
"David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> George Orwell <nobody(a)mixmaster.it> wrote:
>
>>Some of you have been shilling AV products here for years.
>>Heaven forbid Microsoft become virus resistant for fear that
>>you would all commit suicide like a bunch of lemmings.
>
> One of the latest infections is served up by Linux web servers
> exploiting a
> Javascript flaw in Adobe Acrobat. So, it's not just Windows.

Care to post a link to an article about the vulnerability that you are
referring to?

Anyway, Linux can't be blamed for malware that runs within another
environment hosted by the Linux environment - unless the malware depends
upon exploiting a vulnerability in the OS itself.

From: David Kaye on
"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.nony.mous(a)example.invalid> wrote:

>Please explain why you think this is a Linux problem or vulnerability?

Because the website was hosted on a Linux machine and the infection came from
a visit to that site?

From: Beauregard T. Shagnasty on
David Kaye wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.nony.mous(a)example.invalid> wrote:
>> Please explain why you think this is a Linux problem or
>> vulnerability?
>
> Because the website was hosted on a Linux machine and the infection
> came from a visit to that site?

I am still curious as to why you think a PDF file infected with a
Windows OS exploit would lead you to believe Linux was at fault. I did
ask you what you would think if the web hosting software was Microsoft
IIS on a Windows server, but you didn't respond.

In the normal world, web hosts don't care a whit what files are served
up by their web site customers.

In other words, the operating system and web hosting software of a web
host has nothing to do with the files that webmasters place there for
your downloading pleasure. Shouldn't that be clear?

Think of this also: I'm using Linux here at home. Someone sends me an
email with an infected file attached. It does nothing to my Linux
computer, because it can't. I, perhaps acting irresponsibly, forward
this email to all my friends - who use Windows - and they open the
attachment and infect themselves. Is Linux at fault?

Do you still have a link to that site/page?

--
-bts
From: David Kaye on
"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.nony.mous(a)example.invalid> wrote:

>I am still curious as to why you think a PDF file infected with a
>Windows OS exploit would lead you to believe Linux was at fault.

I already answered that question.

>I did
>ask you what you would think if the web hosting software was Microsoft
>IIS on a Windows server, but you didn't respond.

I don't respond to each and every comment by everyone, especially someone who
hides behind a pseudonym. Feel lucky that you got a response from me at all.

From: Beauregard T. Shagnasty on
David Kaye wrote:

> I don't respond to each and every comment by everyone, especially
> someone who hides behind a pseudonym. Feel lucky that you got a
> response from me at all.

Ha! You already did. You think "George Orwell" is the poster's name you
responded to?

And still: Linux on that server is not responsible for you getting
yourself infected. I guess now you're not going to bother to tell us the
link to the page...

--
-bts
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last