From: Thomas on
Wow this Jeff character is a big help, 1 suggestion Jeff, READ. What are you 12 years old?

Jeff Boyce wrote:

LynnPerchance have you based your report directly on the table?
18-Jul-08

Lynn

Perchance have you based your report directly on the table?

Try this ... create a query against that table. In the selection criterion
for the [Comment] field, put:
Not Null (Access changes this to "Is Not Null")

Add any other fields you want to have show in your report.

Run the query ... if you still get "blanks", you probably have zero-length
strings, too. Change your selection criterion to:
Is Not Null and <> ""

When the query is returning only those you want to see, base your report on
the query.

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Office/Access MVP

"Lynn" <Lynn(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

On Friday, July 18, 2008 11:15 AM
Lyn wrote:

Suppress if blank
Is there a way to suppress a field if it is blank? If so, how?

On Friday, July 18, 2008 11:45 AM
Jeff Boyce wrote:

Define "blank"... No, really!
Define "blank"... No, really!

Blank might mean you can't see what was stored in the field.

Blank might mean that there's a zero-length string ("") stored in the field.

Blank might mean that "nothing" has ever been stored in the field (i.e.,
Null).

Which one(s) are you asking about?

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Office/Access MVP

"Lynn" <Lynn(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

On Friday, July 18, 2008 12:20 PM
Lyn wrote:

Nothing has ever been stored in the field ...
Nothing has ever been stored in the field ... There is a comments field in my
report. Some records have a comment entered & some don't. I want to
suppress the comments that are blank. Hope this helps:)

"Jeff Boyce" wrote:

On Friday, July 18, 2008 2:01 PM
Jeff Boyce wrote:

LynnYou will want to double-check.
Lynn

You will want to double-check. Someone could have entered a comment and
then hit <Esc> or highlighted it and <Del>. I'm pretty sure at least the
latter will result in a zero-length string because there HAS been something
in the field.

You posted in a reports newsgroup, so I'll assume you're trying to do this
in a report. I'm still a little fuzzy, though...

If you have nothing in the field, what is it that you are trying to supress?

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Office/Access MVP

"Lynn" <Lynn(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

On Friday, July 18, 2008 2:37 PM
Lyn wrote:

In my database, there is a table that stores survey results.
In my database, there is a table that stores survey results. One of the
fields in this table is a Comment field. Not everyone that fills out the
survey enters a comment, therefore, this field will be "blank" for some of
the records but not for others. I am creating a report that will display
all the survey comments so I have added the Comment field to the details
section of my report. The result, however, is a bunch of white space on the
report (representing all the records where no comment was entered). I would
like to suppress this white space. Any suggestions? Thanks!

"Jeff Boyce" wrote:

On Friday, July 18, 2008 3:01 PM
Jeff Boyce wrote:

LynnPerchance have you based your report directly on the table?
Lynn

Perchance have you based your report directly on the table?

Try this ... create a query against that table. In the selection criterion
for the [Comment] field, put:
Not Null (Access changes this to "Is Not Null")

Add any other fields you want to have show in your report.

Run the query ... if you still get "blanks", you probably have zero-length
strings, too. Change your selection criterion to:
Is Not Null and <> ""

When the query is returning only those you want to see, base your report on
the query.

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Office/Access MVP

"Lynn" <Lynn(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

On Monday, July 21, 2008 4:53 PM
Dave wrote:

Check out the CanShrink and CanGrow properties.
Check out the CanShrink and CanGrow properties. I think a combination of
these will give you what you want... a comments field that's only as high as
it needs to be to contain the data that was entered, and is skipped if
nothing is entered.

SharePoint Video Library Template Available For Download
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/223c6e57-f81f-44b3-ab05-5995f2b0ab63/sharepoint-video-library.aspx
From: Douglas J. Steele on
Do you7 have a specific complaint with Jeff's answer?

And, for that matter, why are you complaining (giving Lynn posted the
question)?

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

From: PieterLinden via AccessMonster.com on
Douglas J. Steele wrote:
>Do you7 have a specific complaint with Jeff's answer?
>
>And, for that matter, why are you complaining (giving Lynn posted the
>question)?
>
>> Wow this Jeff character is a big help, 1 suggestion Jeff, READ. What are
>> you 12 years old?
>[quoted text clipped - 136 lines]
>> SharePoint Video Library Template Available For Download
>> http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/223c6e57-f81f-44b3-ab05-5995f2b0ab63/sharepoint-video-library.aspx

Is it Steve in disguise?

From: Jeff Boyce on
Why would he be upset with me?...<g>

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

From: Jeff Boyce on
Thomas

I'm always open to learning something new. Is there anything in particular
I missed?

(and no, I may act like a 12 year old, but I have a few more years on me
than that ... oh wait, was that an ad hominem attack?!)

Jeff B.