From: Opinicus on
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 02:16:52 -0400, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
<PABearMVP(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> And Start | Run | WINVER | [OK]...?

It says (I'm translating from Turkish here)

<quote>
Microsoft (R) Windows
Version 5.1 (Build number 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.100216-1514 : Service Pack
3)
Copyright (C) 2007 Microsoft Corporation

This product is licensed to the individual and organization below
under the terms of the End-User's Licence Agreement

XP_Pro
Microsoft Windows XP
</quote>

If I recall correctly the SFC utility doesn't work under XP Home, does
it? It works on the machine now.

Muchly weird.

Is no one else reporting this?

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com
From: Tom Willett on
It's a miracle! Contact the Vatican.

From: john bornholt on
I have the reverse problem. I used Windows Update and installed this month's
security updates today. I rebooted my XP Professional PC and it has come up
as XP Home Edition..... This PC was originally bought with XP Home and I
upgraded it a couple of years ago to XP Professional. I have checked the
properties as suggested in earlier post in this thread and they confirm that
it is now XP Home Edition.

How do I roll back to yesterdays' configuration? I could then install each
of the 9 updates individually and see which is causing the problem.

John

From: Opinicus on
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 08:14:33 -0500, "Shenan Stanley"
<newshelper(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> After seeing the responses you made elsewhere in the conversation, the
> conclusion is pretty simple. The installation media/sticker on the outside
> of the machine does not represent the OS that has *always* been installed on
> said system (you are mistaken about what was installed on there all this
> time and now that you finally check...) and/or you are leaving out some
> other details.

As I said, I built the machine myself from off-the-shelf components
several years ago using a a legal and previously unused (I broke the
seal myself) Home XP disk. Activation was not a problem nor have any
updates ever been. I just checked the "Verification" utility on
microsoft.com and it says the installation is genuine.

> - Was the machine ever brought anywhere for repairs?
> - Anything ever cause anyone to install the OS over?
> It is unfortunate, but not unheard of, that some repair shops have been
> known to use illegitimate copies of the OS to install machines.

It looks as if something like that's the explanation. The machine went
in for cleaning and some minor repairs about a year ago. According to
systeminfo, the "original install date" is "14.02.2009, 08:38:43",
which is about the time the machine was in the shop. The machine's
original build date is much older than that.

I think I've got some talking to do with somebody. Strange that I
never noticed the change before however.

Thanks for helping resolve the mystery.

Just for the record:

> What is the set of three numbers following the numbers you have already
> given? (No worries - not like those numbers contain anything important to
> you - no product key, etc.)

55895-640

--
Bob