From: Opinicus on
After last night's updates, my wife's Windows Homeinstallation says
that it's "Professional" on bootup.

No one has done any registry hacks.

What gives? Has MS consolidated all of their XP support?

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com
From: Shenan Stanley on
Opinicus wrote:
> After last night's updates, my wife's Windows Homeinstallation says
> that it's "Professional" on bootup.
>
> No one has done any registry hacks.
>
> What gives? Has MS consolidated all of their XP support?

Please verify the exact edition, version and architecture of
Windows XP you have:

Press and hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and then press the
"Pause/Break" key. Let go of both. This is equivalent in Windows XP to
having right-clicked on the "My Computer" icon and chosen "Properties"
from the menu that appears. When the new window appears - ensure you are
under the "General" tab. Is there *anything* in there to indicate you
have a 64-bit version of Windows XP, like the words, "Windows XP
Professional x64 Edition Version"?

Next we will get the edition and version information...

Start button --> RUN
(no "RUN"? Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard)
--> type in:
winver
--> Click OK.

The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
(Operating System name and edition) while the line starting with the word
"version" will give you the rest of the story.

Post _both_ in response to this message verbatim. No paraphrasing
- instead - ensure character-for-character copying.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Right-click on My Computer & select Properties: What Windows version is
displayed in the resulting General tab (e.g., Windows XP Professional
Service Pack 1)?

From: Opinicus on
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 20:24:29 -0400, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
<PABearMVP(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > After last night's updates, my wife's Windows Homeinstallation says
> > that it's "Professional" on bootup.
> > No one has done any registry hacks.
> > What gives? Has MS consolidated all of their XP support?

> Right-click on My Computer & select Properties: What Windows version is
> displayed in the resulting General tab (e.g., Windows XP Professional
> Service Pack 1)?

It says:

<quote>
Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

XP_Pro
Microsoft Windows XP
55895-and a bunch of other numbers
</quote>

Just to be sure I'm not losing my mind I checked the installation disk
again and it's a bog-standard--and legal--"Windows XP Home Edition OEM
Product". (I put the machine together for her myself.)

I haven't had time to check but I'm wondering if the machine now can
do all the things that XP Pro can but XP Home can't...

Very strange.

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com