From: Daave on
Doum wrote:
> Paul <nospam(a)needed.com> �crivait news:i1u0n6$109$1(a)speranza.aioe.org:
>
> <snip>
>>
>> A slipstreamed WinXP installer CD should solve the problem.
>> Take the WinXP Gold (original) install CD in your hand,
>> and add to it, one of the standalone Service Pack downloads.
>> NLite, can be used to build a new installer CD. You'll need
>> a CD burner, to burn the new installer CD.
>>
>> http://www.nliteos.com/guide/part1.html
>>
>> (Not sure of the details, but there is some reason not to go
>> to SP3 directly.)
>>
> <snip>
>
> If I remember correctly, you cannot install SP3 on a system already
> running a pre-SP1 XP, but it is OK to slipstream SP3 using a XP gold
> installation CD, it will work for a new installation.

You do remember correctly. :-)

To install SP3, the system has to be at at least the SP1 level.

But one may certainly slipstream SP3 to a Gold XP installation CD. See
this page:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp3_cd_final.htm

The only issue is the need to enter the Product Key during installation.

From: (PeteCresswell) on
Per Patok:
>You didn't write what kind of interface you have, but if it is parallel
>IDE ATA/ATAPI,

SATA, new mobo - right out of the box.

Also, one of the drives (the 500) was right out of the box.
--
PeteCresswell
From: (PeteCresswell) on
Per Andy:
>The original, pre-SP1, XP CD is limited to 28-bit LBA (logical block
>address). 2^28 blocks x 512 bytes/block = 137,438,953,412 bytes.
>137,438,953,412 bytes / 1024 bytes/kilobytes = 134,217,728 kilobytes.
>134,217,728 kilobytes / 1024 kilobytes/megabytes = 131,072 megabytes.
>This is where the magical 131,000 megabytes that you see in Windows
>setup comes from.

That makes sense. I was installing from the MSDN disc - which
offers up three versions of XP Pro:

[G] Windows XP Professional - English
[H] Windows XP Professional Checked/Debug Build - English
[I] WIndows XP Professional with SP1a - English

I was using "H" for no particular reason other that it sounded
better being "Checked/Debug"......

I'll give it another shot with "[I]" and report back.

Thanks!!!
--
PeteCresswell
From: (PeteCresswell) on
Per (PeteCresswell):

>I'll give it another shot with "[I]" and report back.

Bingo!....

Thanks again.
--
PeteCresswell