From: (PeteCresswell) on
I've tried installing XP several times now - both with a virgin
Samsung 500-gigger from Samsung, and a tried-and-true WD 250.

In both cases, the XP setup seems tb seeing a disc of only 131+
megs.

First time around, with the 500-gigger, I just went with it. Got
what looked tb a good install, but the system partition was, as
expected, only 127 gigs. However when I went to create a second
partition via MyComputer | Manage | Disk Management was only
seeing 127 - i.e there was not the expected 300+ gigs of
unpartitioned space.

Similar deal with the 250.

Then I took the 500, put it in a USB wrapper, plugged it into
another XP box, and formatted/partitioned it with a 40-gig system
partition and the balance as a data partition.

Put it back in the problem box and XP install still saw 131 gigs
as the total disc space.

Went through the same exercise with the 250, similar results.

What's magic about 131-or-so gigs?

I've also gotten several blue screen w/"A problem has been
detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your
computer. DRIVE_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"

Not every time... just about 1 out of every three attempts.

My gut says "User Error"... but what am I doing wrong?

D865GLCLK Intel 865G Socket 478 mobo.
--
PeteCresswell
From: Patok on
(PeteCresswell) wrote:
> I've tried installing XP several times now - both with a virgin
> Samsung 500-gigger from Samsung, and a tried-and-true WD 250.
>
> In both cases, the XP setup seems tb seeing a disc of only 131+
> megs.
>
> First time around, with the 500-gigger, I just went with it. Got
> what looked tb a good install, but the system partition was, as
> expected, only 127 gigs. However when I went to create a second
> partition via MyComputer | Manage | Disk Management was only
> seeing 127 - i.e there was not the expected 300+ gigs of
> unpartitioned space.
>
> Similar deal with the 250.
>
> Then I took the 500, put it in a USB wrapper, plugged it into
> another XP box, and formatted/partitioned it with a 40-gig system
> partition and the balance as a data partition.
>
> Put it back in the problem box and XP install still saw 131 gigs
> as the total disc space.
>
> Went through the same exercise with the 250, similar results.
>
> What's magic about 131-or-so gigs?

The lack of 48 bits. :) Read about it here:

http://www.48bitlba.com/

You didn't write what kind of interface you have, but if it is parallel
IDE ATA/ATAPI, this is most likely the reason. Or, your controller is
malfunctioning. Does the below error happen with both drives, or just
the one? I have seen it only once, (meaning on one computer, many times)
when the hard drive was beginning to fail, and went away after I
replaced the drive. In case your controller is somehow fried, it could
be responsible for both effects.

> I've also gotten several blue screen w/"A problem has been
> detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your
> computer. DRIVE_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"
>
> Not every time... just about 1 out of every three attempts.
>
> My gut says "User Error"... but what am I doing wrong?
>
> D865GLCLK Intel 865G Socket 478 mobo.

--
You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.
From: Andy on
The original, pre-SP1, XP CD is limited to 28-bit LBA (logical block
address). 2^28 blocks x 512 bytes/block = 137,438,953,412 bytes.
137,438,953,412 bytes / 1024 bytes/kilobytes = 134,217,728 kilobytes.
134,217,728 kilobytes / 1024 kilobytes/megabytes = 131,072 megabytes.
This is where the magical 131,000 megabytes that you see in Windows
setup comes from.

From: Paul on
(PeteCresswell) wrote:
> I've tried installing XP several times now - both with a virgin
> Samsung 500-gigger from Samsung, and a tried-and-true WD 250.
>
> In both cases, the XP setup seems tb seeing a disc of only 131+
> megs.
>
> First time around, with the 500-gigger, I just went with it. Got
> what looked tb a good install, but the system partition was, as
> expected, only 127 gigs. However when I went to create a second
> partition via MyComputer | Manage | Disk Management was only
> seeing 127 - i.e there was not the expected 300+ gigs of
> unpartitioned space.
>
> Similar deal with the 250.
>
> Then I took the 500, put it in a USB wrapper, plugged it into
> another XP box, and formatted/partitioned it with a 40-gig system
> partition and the balance as a data partition.
>
> Put it back in the problem box and XP install still saw 131 gigs
> as the total disc space.
>
> Went through the same exercise with the 250, similar results.
>

> What's magic about 131-or-so gigs?
>
> I've also gotten several blue screen w/"A problem has been
> detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your
> computer. DRIVE_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"
>
> Not every time... just about 1 out of every three attempts.
>
> My gut says "User Error"... but what am I doing wrong?
>
> D865GLCLK Intel 865G Socket 478 mobo.

Your motherboard is modern enough to support 48 bit LBA
at the BIOS level. The cutoff date is around 2003, for a new
design to be guaranteed to support it. I think the 865 comes
after that.

A slipstreamed WinXP installer CD should solve the problem.
Take the WinXP Gold (original) install CD in your hand,
and add to it, one of the standalone Service Pack downloads.
NLite, can be used to build a new installer CD. You'll need
a CD burner, to burn the new installer CD.

http://www.nliteos.com/guide/part1.html

(Not sure of the details, but there is some reason not to go
to SP3 directly.)

http://help.wugnet.com/windows/Slipstreaming-WinXP-SP3-ftopict615895.html

(And then, a refutation of that, here.)

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/145326-integrate-sp2-before-sp3/

This is an example of an SP3 Service Pack download.
WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe 331,805,736 bytes.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en

Support for 48 bit LBA, is mentioned here. WinXP SP1 or higher
is sufficient.

http://web.archive.org/web/20070121085230/http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/tp/137gb.pdf

The difference should be, when you attempt to install with the
slipstreamed SP3 installer CD, the Windows installer should
offer to format the entire 500GB drive for you as C: if you wish.
I've only been through this particular exercise with Win2K,
testing both before slipstream and after, and found that
behavior to be the case. Before slipstreaming in the minimum
Service Pack, I could only make a 137GB C:, while after
slipstreaming Win2K SP4, the whole disk was available to be
made into C:. The same kind of thing should happen with
a sufficiently modern WinXP slipstreamed CD.

Paul
From: Doum on
Paul <nospam(a)needed.com> �crivait news:i1u0n6$109$1(a)speranza.aioe.org:

<snip>

> A slipstreamed WinXP installer CD should solve the problem.
> Take the WinXP Gold (original) install CD in your hand,
> and add to it, one of the standalone Service Pack downloads.
> NLite, can be used to build a new installer CD. You'll need
> a CD burner, to burn the new installer CD.
>
> http://www.nliteos.com/guide/part1.html
>
> (Not sure of the details, but there is some reason not to go
> to SP3 directly.)

<snip>

If I remember correctly, you cannot install SP3 on a system already running
a pre-SP1 XP, but it is OK to slipstream SP3 using a XP gold installation
CD, it will work for a new installation.