From: Doum on
Motort <user(a)domain.invalid> �crivait news:uiWd0GN1KHA.4412
@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl:

> I'm considering buying a Full version Windows XP Professional in
> anticipating an advance to Windows 7. (Have no previous Windows
> products). I don't know if the version has any Service Packs. If it
> doesn't can I still get them, or is support for professional expired?
> As an aside, what version of Windows 7 do I need for a system that
> has never had a Microsoft product? Thanks.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=368
&name=Operating-Systems

Compare the prices on this page and you will see that it's not worth it to
buy XP if you eventually want to get Seven.

XP PRO OEM is $190 and the Seven pro upgrade is $176 for a total of $366.

On the other hand Seven Ultimate FULL is $285, Seven Home Premium FULL $180
and Seven Pro FULL is $269, those FULL packages don't need a previous
version.

On what computer do you want to install this?
From: Bruce Chambers on
Motort wrote:

> If I just landed on this planet, built a new computer with a brand
> spankin' new hard drive (never seen a Microsoft product), which Windows
> 7 edition could I legally install as my OS? (Doesn't require previous
> Windows of any kind). Thanks.

You'll need a Full (*not* upgrade) license for whichever edition best
meets your computing needs, of which you've told us absolutely nothing.

Compare Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/default.aspx

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
From: LD55ZRA on

If you search hard on the net, you will find that you DON't need
any previous version of Office XP or Vista to install Windows 7
using an upgrade DVD of Win7. This is a fact but morons, who
define morality, will tell you otherwise.

If you agree, I can post links to articles I have written about
this subject.

hth

--
THE INFORMATION IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY
KIND. LD55ZRA DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESSED OR

Copyright LD55ZRA 2010.
From: LD55ZRA on

smlunatick wrote:

> Windows 7 Upgrades will still require a "qualifying" previous Windows
> version.

Rubbish; Rubbish; Rubbish; Rubbish; Rubbish; Rubbish; Rubbish;

From: LD55ZRA on

Motort wrote:

> If I just landed on this planet, built a new computer with a brand
> spankin' new hard drive (never seen a Microsoft product), which
> Windows 7 edition could I legally install as my OS? (Doesn't require
> previous Windows of any kind). Thanks.

When you say legally what exactly do you mean by that. Do you
mean to say legality as understood by Microsoft who goes around
pirating somebody's Patent or legality as defined by morons whose
morality is completely twisted?

hth