From: Motort on
I'm considering buying a Full version Windows XP Professional in
anticipating an advance to Windows 7. (Have no previous Windows
products). I don't know if the version has any Service Packs. If it
doesn't can I still get them, or is support for professional expired?
As an aside, what version of Windows 7 do I need for a system that
has never had a Microsoft product? Thanks.
From: smlunatick on
On Apr 5, 4:07 pm, Motort <u...(a)domain.invalid> wrote:
>         I'm considering buying a Full version Windows XP Professional in
> anticipating an advance to Windows 7. (Have no previous Windows
> products). I don't know if the version has any Service Packs. If it
> doesn't can I still get them, or is support for professional expired?
>         As an aside, what version of Windows 7 do I need for a system that
> has never had a Microsoft product? Thanks.

Why would you want to buy Windows XP just to replace it with Windows
7? Windows 7 Upgrade will not upgrade from XP. It will create a
"custom" fresh install.
From: Motort on
smlunatick wrote:
> On Apr 5, 4:07 pm, Motort <u...(a)domain.invalid> wrote:
>> I'm considering buying a Full version Windows XP Professional in
>> anticipating an advance to Windows 7. (Have no previous Windows
>> products). I don't know if the version has any Service Packs. If it
>> doesn't can I still get them, or is support for professional expired?
>> As an aside, what version of Windows 7 do I need for a system that
>> has never had a Microsoft product? Thanks.
>
> Why would you want to buy Windows XP just to replace it with Windows
> 7? Windows 7 Upgrade will not upgrade from XP. It will create a
> "custom" fresh install.

So, then I wouldn't have to provide proof of any previous windows
products? I'm considering Windows Home Premium Full. Is that all I'd
need? Thanks.
From: smlunatick on
On Apr 5, 4:28 pm, Motort <u...(a)domain.invalid> wrote:
> smlunatick wrote:
> > On Apr 5, 4:07 pm, Motort <u...(a)domain.invalid> wrote:
> >>         I'm considering buying a Full version Windows XP Professional in
> >> anticipating an advance to Windows 7. (Have no previous Windows
> >> products). I don't know if the version has any Service Packs. If it
> >> doesn't can I still get them, or is support for professional expired?
> >>         As an aside, what version of Windows 7 do I need for a system that
> >> has never had a Microsoft product? Thanks.
>
> > Why would you want to buy Windows XP just to replace it with Windows
> > 7?  Windows 7 Upgrade will not upgrade from XP.  It will create a
> > "custom" fresh install.
>
>         So, then I wouldn't have to provide proof of any previous windows
> products? I'm considering Windows Home Premium Full. Is that all I'd
> need? Thanks.

Windows 7 Upgrades will still require a "qualifying" previous Windows
version. Windows XP will qualify but the Upgrade will require to have
availably partition disk space to create the newer Windows 7
installation:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Upgrading to Windows 7: frequently asked questions
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/upgrading-to-windows-7-frequently-asked-questions