From: Roger Mills on
On 14/06/2010 11:12, John Whitworth wrote:

> "Roger Mills" <watt.tyler(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> I have an XP Virtual Machine running under Windows 7 Professional
>> "Windows Virtual PC" so that I can run some 'legacy' applications
>> which won't work in Win 7.
>>
>> In the virtual machine, Windows Explorer shows a local disk (C:) and
>> also all the disks on the host machine - and allows me to copy files
>> back and forth.
>>
>> Most of the applications running in the virtual machine are quite
>> happy to read and write data files on the host machine.
>>
>> However Word 2000[1] (and Excel 2000) are not. If I try to open a file
>> from the host machine in Word, it just hangs - and CPU usage goes to
>> 100% On the other hand, if I copy a file from the host machine to the
>> local disk, it then opens quite happily in Word.
>
> I assume that Office 2000 is patched to the hilt? All Service Packs
> applied?
>
> JW

No, I just installed it on the virtual machine from an original CD. Is
that likely to be significant?
--
Cheers,
Roger
From: John Whitworth on

> On 14/06/2010 11:12, John Whitworth wrote:
>>

>> "Roger Mills" <watt.tyler(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I have an XP Virtual Machine running under Windows 7 Professional
>>> "Windows Virtual PC" so that I can run some 'legacy' applications
>>> which won't work in Win 7.
>>>
>>> In the virtual machine, Windows Explorer shows a local disk (C:) and
>>> also all the disks on the host machine - and allows me to copy files
>>> back and forth.
>>>
>>> Most of the applications running in the virtual machine are quite
>>> happy to read and write data files on the host machine.
>>>
>>> However Word 2000[1] (and Excel 2000) are not. If I try to open a file
>>> from the host machine in Word, it just hangs - and CPU usage goes to
>>> 100% On the other hand, if I copy a file from the host machine to the
>>> local disk, it then opens quite happily in Word.
>>
>> I assume that Office 2000 is patched to the hilt? All Service Packs
>> applied?
>>
>> JW
>

> No, I just installed it on the virtual machine from an original CD. Is
> that likely to be significant?
> --
> Cheers,
> Roger

Haven't a clue to be honest - but I'd certainly try at least getting SP1, 2
and 3 on there.

From: Bob Eager on
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 13:57:00 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

>> I assume that Office 2000 is patched to the hilt? All Service Packs
>> applied?
>
> No, I just installed it on the virtual machine from an original CD. Is
> that likely to be significant?

The virtual machine, as supplied, is also far from up to date. Worth
applying the XP fixes too.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

From: Roger Mills on
On 14/06/2010 13:23, Adrian C wrote:
> On 14/06/2010 10:13, Roger Mills wrote:
>>

> They are probably trying to create and write a temp file in the same
> folder as the opened file, and not succeeding. Normally the opening
> application should then state "read only mode" and open the file, but
> there might be subtle things afloat stopping it.

That implies that the virtual machine has read access but not write
access to files on the host machine. But other applications running on
the virtual machine can write to the host quite happily - so I still
don't understand why Word should be any different.

> Try setting an audit policy in Windows 7 and then check out 7's event log.
>
> Maybe host folders are accessed in WinXP as Win7's adminstrative file
> shares.
>
> http://microsoftblog.globalknowledge.com/2010/05/04/detailed-file-share-auditing-allows-you-to-monitor-access-to-windows-7-file-shares/

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have a look.
--
Cheers,
Roger
From: Roger Mills on
On 14/06/2010 11:47, Huge wrote:

> In the same way that what is likely
> happening is that MS don't want you to be able to do what the OP wants - they
> want you to buy another copy of Office for the host machine.

No, that's not the issue. I've actually got Office 2007 on the host and
Office 2000 on the virtual machine. The issue is that of trying to get
Word 2000 on the virtual machine to be able to access *data* files (i.e.
documents) stored on the host.
--
Cheers,
Roger