From: Roger Mills on
I have an XP Virtual Machine running under Windows 7 Professional
"Windows Virtual PC" so that I can run some 'legacy' applications which
won't work in Win 7.

In the virtual machine, Windows Explorer shows a local disk (C:) and
also all the disks on the host machine - and allows me to copy files
back and forth.

Most of the applications running in the virtual machine are quite happy
to read and write data files on the host machine.

However Word 2000[1] (and Excel 2000) are not. If I try to open a file
from the host machine in Word, it just hangs - and CPU usage goes to
100% On the other hand, if I copy a file from the host machine to the
local disk, it then opens quite happily in Word.

It's presumably got something to do with sharing and file privileges
etc., but why should Word (and other Office 2000 applications) behave
differently from (say) Quicken in this respect? Any ideas?

[1] In case you're wondering why I'm running Word in a virtual machine,
I need to use a particular pseudo printer driver (Jaws - for creating
PDF files) which won't work in Win7, and I need to open Word files in
order to 'print' them. (Yes, there are other PDF converters which *will*
run in Win7 - but I haven't yet found one with the same security options
as Jaws).
--
Cheers,
Roger
From: Toby on

"Roger Mills" <watt.tyler(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> I have an XP Virtual Machine running under Windows 7 Professional "Windows
> Virtual PC" so that I can run some 'legacy' applications which won't work
> in Win 7.
>
> In the virtual machine, Windows Explorer shows a local disk (C:) and also
> all the disks on the host machine - and allows me to copy files back and
> forth.
>
> Most of the applications running in the virtual machine are quite happy to
> read and write data files on the host machine.
>
> However Word 2000[1] (and Excel 2000) are not. If I try to open a file
> from the host machine in Word, it just hangs - and CPU usage goes to 100%
> On the other hand, if I copy a file from the host machine to the local
> disk, it then opens quite happily in Word.
>
> It's presumably got something to do with sharing and file privileges etc.,
> but why should Word (and other Office 2000 applications) behave
> differently from (say) Quicken in this respect? Any ideas?
>

> [1] In case you're wondering why I'm running Word in a virtual machine, I
> need to use a particular pseudo printer driver (Jaws - for creating PDF
> files) which won't work in Win7, and I need to open Word files in order to
> 'print' them. (Yes, there are other PDF converters which *will* run in
> Win7 - but I haven't yet found one with the same security options as
> Jaws).
> --
> Cheers,
> Roger
> ____________
> Please reply to Newsgroup. Whilst email address is valid, it is seldom
> checked.

Have you tried Primo PDF - it allows a password on open, and a separate
password for protection that includes printing restrictions (No printing,
high res or low res), various change restrictions & disabling copying to
clipboard.

It's free too

Toby...

From: John Whitworth on

"Huge" <Huge(a)nowhere.much.invalid> wrote in message
> On 2010-06-14, Roger Mills <watt.tyler(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It's presumably got something to do with sharing and file privileges
>> etc., but why should Word (and other Office 2000 applications) behave
>> differently from (say) Quicken in this respect? Any ideas?
>
> Because Microsoft are incompetent scum?

Useful...give yourself a pat on the back.

From: John Whitworth on

"Roger Mills" <watt.tyler(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> I have an XP Virtual Machine running under Windows 7 Professional "Windows
> Virtual PC" so that I can run some 'legacy' applications which won't work
> in Win 7.
>
> In the virtual machine, Windows Explorer shows a local disk (C:) and also
> all the disks on the host machine - and allows me to copy files back and
> forth.
>
> Most of the applications running in the virtual machine are quite happy to
> read and write data files on the host machine.
>
> However Word 2000[1] (and Excel 2000) are not. If I try to open a file
> from the host machine in Word, it just hangs - and CPU usage goes to 100%
> On the other hand, if I copy a file from the host machine to the local
> disk, it then opens quite happily in Word.

I assume that Office 2000 is patched to the hilt? All Service Packs applied?

JW

From: dennis on

"Roger Mills" <watt.tyler(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> I have an XP Virtual Machine running under Windows 7 Professional "Windows
> Virtual PC" so that I can run some 'legacy' applications which won't work
> in Win 7.
>
> In the virtual machine, Windows Explorer shows a local disk (C:) and also
> all the disks on the host machine - and allows me to copy files back and
> forth.
>
> Most of the applications running in the virtual machine are quite happy to
> read and write data files on the host machine.
>
> However Word 2000[1] (and Excel 2000) are not. If I try to open a file
> from the host machine in Word, it just hangs - and CPU usage goes to 100%
> On the other hand, if I copy a file from the host machine to the local
> disk, it then opens quite happily in Word.
>
> It's presumably got something to do with sharing and file privileges etc.,
> but why should Word (and other Office 2000 applications) behave
> differently from (say) Quicken in this respect? Any ideas?
>

> [1] In case you're wondering why I'm running Word in a virtual machine, I
> need to use a particular pseudo printer driver (Jaws - for creating PDF
> files) which won't work in Win7, and I need to open Word files in order to
> 'print' them. (Yes, there are other PDF converters which *will* run in
> Win7 - but I haven't yet found one with the same security options as
> Jaws).

Don't use word 2000.
Try M$ word viewer if you don't need to make changes.
OO if you do.
Or have a look at the free office 2010 essentials that should be released
about now.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: Yes, do Go Away And NEVER Come Back!
Next: Reset BIOS