From: John Whitworth on

"dave" <davenpat(a)btopenowrld.com> wrote in message
> On 14/06/2010 11:09, John Whitworth wrote:
>>

>> "Huge" <Huge(a)nowhere.much.invalid> wrote in message

>>> Because Microsoft are incompetent scum?
>>
>> Useful...give yourself a pat on the back.
>
> But he hit the nail right on the head though.

He didn't really, did he? He just came out with the usual "I really do not
have a clue about computers or software development - lets blame everything
on Microsoft" argument. The nail sits with a file handling issue, which
shows it's ugly head when using virtualisation - something which didn't
exist in that form in 1999/2000 (Connectix Virtual PC 4 came about in 2001).

From: Bob Eager on
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 17:41:12 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

> Are you sure you don't mean Word 2007? AFAIK, all versions of word from
> 97 through 2003 used the same format - but 2007 defaults to docx format.
> nevertheless, it's a trivial matter to tell it to save in 97-2003 format
> - then everyone should be able to receive it.

More to the point, there's an easy to install add-on for 2003 that allows
it to handle the 2007 formats...

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

From: geoff on
In message <hv526m$vkv$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, BillW50
<BillW50(a)aol.kom> writes
>In news:87mfmsF676U7(a)mid.individual.net,
>Huge typed on 14 Jun 2010 10:47:57 GMT:
>> On 2010-06-14, John Whitworth
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> "Huge" <Huge(a)nowhere.much.invalid> wrote in message

>>> Useful...
>>
>> Really? It wasn't intended to be. In the same way that what is likely
>> happening is that MS don't want you to be able to do what the OP
>> wants - they want you to buy another copy of Office for the host
>> machine. Although this is only a guess, based on years of experience
>> of watching people empty
>> their wallets into Bill Gates bank account.
>>
>>> give yourself a pat on the back.
>>
>> Thanks, but there's no need.
>
>Really? I bought MS Office 97 and MS Office 2000 and I stopped there. I
>had to upgrade from MSO 97 because it had too many bugs that MSO 2000
>fixed. I felt no reason to get the later versions as MS Office 2000
>works just fine for me.
>
>I do regret buying two copies of Windows 7 that still sit up on the
>shelf unopened. As I was running two copies of Windows 7 Ultimate RC for
>about a year and I was unimpressed with it.

Better send one to me then

--
geoff
From: Roger Mills on
On 14/06/2010 19:05, John Whitworth wrote:

> The nail sits with a file handling
> issue, which shows it's ugly head when using virtualisation - something
> which didn't exist in that form in 1999/2000 (Connectix Virtual PC 4
> came about in 2001).

True. having said that, though, some applications (such as Quicken) -
which were also developed before virtualisation was around - *don't*
have a file handling issue. Strange!
--
Cheers,
Roger
From: BillW50 on
In news:87nluiFc6lU1(a)mid.individual.net,
Roger Mills typed on Mon, 14 Jun 2010 22:40:34 +0100:
> On 14/06/2010 19:05, John Whitworth wrote:
>>
>> The nail sits with a file handling
>> issue, which shows it's ugly head when using virtualisation -
>> something which didn't exist in that form in 1999/2000 (Connectix
>> Virtual PC 4 came about in 2001).
>
> True. having said that, though, some applications (such as Quicken) -
> which were also developed before virtualisation was around - *don't*
> have a file handling issue. Strange!

Well my experience with Word 97/2000, I must say Word puts temporary
files in some really weird places. Not a problem normally, but under
virtualization I can see this as a possible problem. I don't know, how
does the later versions of Word handle it? Does it handle it
differently?

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Windows XP SP3

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: Yes, do Go Away And NEVER Come Back!
Next: Reset BIOS