From: BillW50 on
In news:eN5ntnVr7oFMFwAy(a)demon.co.uk,
geoff typed on Mon, 14 Jun 2010 21:19:55 +0100:
>> I do regret buying two copies of Windows 7 that still sit up on the
>> shelf unopened. As I was running two copies of Windows 7 Ultimate RC
>> for about a year and I was unimpressed with it.
>
> Better send one to me then

Really? You like Windows 7? After using it for about a year, I saw it
only capable of running 95% of what I want to do vs. Windows XP which
runs 100% of what I want. And Windows 7 eats up lots of CPU time just
while you are doing nothing. Windows XP when you are doing nothing, the
CPU is actually at or near idle. And running something that is very CPU
intensive like games, always runs slower under Windows 7 than it does
under Windows XP. So I don't see Windows 7 as any big deal and I can see
why some want to downgrade their Vista and Windows 7 machines. And I
don't blame them one bit. ;-)

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Windows XP SP3

From: Bill on
In message <87n02kF11dU1(a)mid.individual.net>, Roger Mills
<watt.tyler(a)gmail.com> writes
>On 14/06/2010 15:09, Bill wrote:
>

>> Oooh, have you got Quicken installed and registered and in the UK?
>> Someone I was trying to help had it running perfectly on XPMode, but hit
>> a succession of immovable Quicken nonsenses when trying to get it
>> registered.
>> As far as I remember, she found that the UK registration site is no
>> more, Intuit UK said get lost, the Americans refused access and then
>> wouldn't deal with anyone outside their borders when she rang.
>
>For me, registration isn't an issue - I've still got the original
>Registration Number, and simply keyed that in when asked, with no need
>to contact Intuit. I'm still using the free upgrade to Quicken 98 which
>made it millennium compliant!
>
>I've actually installed it on *both* the Win 7 host and the XP Virtual
>machine. For most purposes - for managing my personal finances - it
>works perfectly ok under Win 7. However, I also manage the finances of
>a voluntary organisation which needs to issue the occasional invoice
>and - for some inexplicable reason - the invoice function doesn't work
>in Win 7!
>
>Incidentally, that's not the only program whose behaviour is different
>between XP and Win 7. I have a program which scans music scores and
>performs a sort of OCR on them to produce computer-readable music
>notation. Under Win 7, everything come up in GERMAN - with no choice of
>lanuage. Run the same program under XP, and it defaults to English -
>with an option to use German instead. Explain that if you will!

That's interesting. I was fairly sure that her version had a serial
number that then took something from inside the machine, produced
another number that had to be checked in with Intuit to give the real
registration.
I've just checked with her and she says she gave up, and her accountant
produced a later version that didn't have to be registered. So all is
right with the world..
--
Bill
From: geoff on
In message <hv69p7$b0e$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, BillW50
<BillW50(a)aol.kom> writes
>In news:eN5ntnVr7oFMFwAy(a)demon.co.uk,
>geoff typed on Mon, 14 Jun 2010 21:19:55 +0100:
>>> I do regret buying two copies of Windows 7 that still sit up on the
>>> shelf unopened. As I was running two copies of Windows 7 Ultimate RC
>>> for about a year and I was unimpressed with it.
>>
>> Better send one to me then
>
>Really? You like Windows 7? After using it for about a year, I saw it
>only capable of running 95% of what I want to do vs. Windows XP which
>runs 100% of what I want. And Windows 7 eats up lots of CPU time just
>while you are doing nothing. Windows XP when you are doing nothing, the
>CPU is actually at or near idle. And running something that is very CPU
>intensive like games, always runs slower under Windows 7 than it does
>under Windows XP. So I don't see Windows 7 as any big deal and I can see
>why some want to downgrade their Vista and Windows 7 machines. And I
>don't blame them one bit. ;-)

Wouldn't touch for my work machines, but, using VM , having bought a new
webcam, etc, it sort of works well enough

even turnpike is almost OK

but I agree

XP is rockandroll

--
geoff
From: dennis on

"BillW50" <BillW50(a)aol.kom> wrote in message
> In news:eN5ntnVr7oFMFwAy(a)demon.co.uk,
> geoff typed on Mon, 14 Jun 2010 21:19:55 +0100:
>>> I do regret buying two copies of Windows 7 that still sit up on the
>>> shelf unopened. As I was running two copies of Windows 7 Ultimate RC
>>> for about a year and I was unimpressed with it.
>>
>> Better send one to me then
>
> Really? You like Windows 7? After using it for about a year, I saw it only
> capable of running 95% of what I want to do vs. Windows XP which runs 100%
> of what I want. And Windows 7 eats up lots of CPU time just while you are
> doing nothing. Windows XP when you are doing nothing, the CPU is actually
> at or near idle. And running something that is very CPU intensive like
> games, always runs slower under Windows 7 than it does under Windows XP.
> So I don't see Windows 7 as any big deal and I can see why some want to
> downgrade their Vista and Windows 7 machines. And I don't blame them one
> bit. ;-)

Are you sure you actually have looked at windows 7?
None of what you say is true for me or anyone else I know with windows 7.
You can send me the other win7 if you don't want it. ;-)

From: Doctor Drivel on

"geoff" <troll(a)uk-diy.org> wrote in message

> XP is rockandroll

Maxie, your showmanship is emerging once again. Fantastic. What a man! Do
you play a vuvuzela on stage in your Paddy Band with your turned down
wellies on? Unbelievable. Such originality to this man. Fantastic indeed.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: Yes, do Go Away And NEVER Come Back!
Next: Reset BIOS