From: Gerry Cornell on
Khan

What make and model is your computer? When and in what country was the
computer purchased? Was it purchased by you new?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From: khan on
Gerry,

It is HP Compaq, nx5000 (notebook). It was purchased from UAE (Dubai) and in
2004. Yes I purchased it new, with warranties and all. (The warranty perios
is over though).

It was working alright till last month when I went through the maintenance.
Early this month everything else went ok except it doesnt boots normally
after CHKDSK.
--
khan

From: Gerry Cornell on
Khan

You are in a complicated Warranty situation. HP will have given their
own Warranties on the product. However, the parts manufacturer may have
given longer warranties. On some hard drives Toshiba give a 3 years
warranty. The complication is complicated further as you bought the
computer / hard drive in one country and now live in another. BTW in
which country are you living?

Some hard drive manufacturers offer an on-line service for testing but
so far as I was able to ascertain earlier Toshiba do not offer this
service. I have to stress that we do not know that the hard drive is
faulty but I do think you need to know whether the hard drive is still
covered by warranty and upon what basis HP / Toshiba might test it.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From: khan on
Gerry,

I live in Pakistan and I think I can check if the hard drive is still
covered by the gurantee and how (and if) HP/Toshiba will test it.

But to tell you the truth, I still dont get it how and what makes u feel
suspicious about the physical status of the hard drive?

Can you tell me a way to read what is written on the screen, which stays for
a fraction of a second before system reboots. I think it would make things
easier for you and me. I tried scroll lock, pause, break... It doesnt stops
and goes away just showing something is written in blue on a black screen.

--
khan

From: Gerry Cornell on
Check that you have a boot disk or Windows XP CD in the event of any
problems.

Disable automatic restart on system failure. This should
help by allowing time to write down the STOP code properly. Right click
on the My Computer icon on the Desktop and select Properties, Advanced,
StartUp and Recovery, System Failure and uncheck box before
Automatically Restart.

Enable automatic restart on system failure after you have captured /
copied and pasted the message in a further post here.

At page 61 of the Maintenance Manual there is reference to Self Testing
the Hard Drive as an Option of the Tools Menu. I am not sure whether
this is a Third Party or Microsoft provided Tool.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Gerry,
>
> I live in Pakistan and I think I can check if the hard drive is still
> covered by the gurantee and how (and if) HP/Toshiba will test it.
>
> But to tell you the truth, I still dont get it how and what makes u
> feel
> suspicious about the physical status of the hard drive?
>
> Can you tell me a way to read what is written on the screen, which
> stays for
> a fraction of a second before system reboots. I think it would make
> things
> easier for you and me. I tried scroll lock, pause, break... It doesnt
> stops
> and goes away just showing something is written in blue on a black
> screen.
>
> --
> khan
>

> "Gerry Cornell" wrote:
>
>> Khan
>>
>> You are in a complicated Warranty situation. HP will have given their
>> own Warranties on the product. However, the parts manufacturer may
>> have
>> given longer warranties. On some hard drives Toshiba give a 3 years
>> warranty. The complication is complicated further as you bought the
>> computer / hard drive in one country and now live in another. BTW in
>> which country are you living?
>>
>> Some hard drive manufacturers offer an on-line service for testing
>> but
>> so far as I was able to ascertain earlier Toshiba do not offer this
>> service. I have to stress that we do not know that the hard drive is
>> faulty but I do think you need to know whether the hard drive is
>> still
>> covered by warranty and upon what basis HP / Toshiba might test it.
>>
>> --
>>

>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Gerry
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> FCA
>>
>> Using invalid email address
>>
>> Stourport, Worcs, England
>> Enquire, plan and execute.
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> Please tell the newsgroup how any
>> suggested solution worked for you.
>>
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>

>> "khan" <khan(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Gerry,
>> >
>> > It is HP Compaq, nx5000 (notebook). It was purchased from UAE
>> > (Dubai)
>> > and in
>> > 2004. Yes I purchased it new, with warranties and all. (The
>> > warranty
>> > perios
>> > is over though).
>> >
>> > It was working alright till last month when I went through the
>> > maintenance.
>> > Early this month everything else went ok except it doesnt boots
>> > normally
>> > after CHKDSK.
>> > --
>> > khan