From: khan on
Hi all,

I posted this request 5 days back; it seems no one in the world has a
solution to this problem. Anyone there who could please help me with this?

"I am using XP home (SP-2), kaspersky (antivirus) and MS Antispyware. HP
nx5000, 30GB, (2 partitions, both NTFS). When I run CHKDSK /f on drive 'C'
the chkdsk runs ok and reports no problems; but when it reboots (a page is
displayed with some text, which stays for fraction of a second) it goes to
the options page "Safe Mode, last good known......". If I select "Start
Windows Normally" it starts CHKDSK again and comes back on this page, if I
select "last good config..... " it boots ok.

XP starts normally if I dont run CHKDSK /f. I have disabled both the
softwares
and tried again but result is same. I even tried selective startup,
disabling all starting programs from "msconfig". The disk is checked and
reports no errors from 'tools', 'scan for and attempt recovery of bad
sectors'. SFC /scannow reports no errors either.

When I used WIN XP-e cd to boot and then ran CHKDSK /f, the drive is checked
and system boots normally.

Thanking in anticipation"

--
khan
From: Gerry Cornell on
Select Start, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Disk
Management. What is in the Status Column for Volume C?

Another suggestion.You might do well to download and install Everest
Home Edition. This
freeware programme is excellent for getting information about your
computer:
http://www.lavalys.hu/index.php

In Everest select Storage, Windows Storage and you will see details of
drives. Place the cursor on your hard drive and post the Device
Description for your Hard Drive.

There could also be Error Reports in Event Viewer (System tab ). Please
post copies.

You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, Administrative Tools,
Event Viewer. When researching the meaning of the error, information
regarding Event ID, Source and Description are important.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427&Product=winxp

A tip for posting copies of Error Reports! Run Event Viewer and double
click on the error you want to copy. In the window, which appears is a
button resembling two pages. Double click the button and close Event
Viewer. Now start your message (email) and do a paste into the body of
the message. This will paste the info from the Event Viewer Error Report
complete with links into the message. Make sure this is the first paste
after exiting from
Event Viewer.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From: khan on
Gerry, thanks for replying... The status for volume 'C' in Disk Management
says "Healthy (system)".

There are MANY error and warning messages in 'Event Viewer'. I am pasting
three error messages and one warning message. There is one 'error' message
which is persistant and is shown many times (Error message 2); I think it
started coming when I downloaded a trial version of "System Mechanic" from
"iolo.com". I have uninstalled this software. I am pasting only the messages
that I thought would be of help for you. Hope these will help you make out
what the problem is...

ERROR MESSAGE 1;

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7026
Date: 13/11/2005
Time: 11:52:15
User: N/A
Computer: YOUR-DC5953H4CK
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
MFX

ERROR MESSAGE 2;

Event Type: Error
Event Source: IoloFilter
Event Category: None
Event ID: 3
Date: 03/11/2005
Time: 22:31:36
User: N/A
Computer: YOUR-DC5953H4CK
The description for Event ID ( 3 ) in Source ( IoloFilter ) cannot be found.
The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message
DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use
the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for
details. The following information is part of the event: , IoloMountVolume
Post failure.
Data:
0000: 00 00 04 00 02 00 5e 00 ......^.
0008: 00 00 00 00 03 00 10 e0 .......à
0010: 00 00 00 00 13 00 00 c0 .......À
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0028: 00 00 00 00 ....

ERROR MESSAGE 3;

Event Type: Error
Event Source: sr
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1
Date: 12/11/2005
Time: 22:16:02
User: N/A
Computer: YOUR-DC5953H4CK
The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error '0xC0000001'
while processing the file '' on the volume 'HarddiskVolume1'. It has stopped
monitoring the volume.

Data:
0000: 04 00 00 00 04 00 4e 00 ......N.
0008: 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 c0 .......À
0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

WARNING MESSAGE;

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: BTHUSB
Event Category: None
Event ID: 18
Date: 04/11/2005
Time: 11:58:03
User: N/A
Computer: YOUR-DC5953H4CK
Windows cannot store Bluetooth link keys on the local transceiver because it
cannot determine whether proper security is enabled for the device.

Data:
0000: 00 00 08 00 01 00 56 00 ......V.
0008: 00 00 00 00 12 00 05 80 .......€
0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0028: e0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 à.......

Thanks again.

--
khan

From: Gerry Cornell on
Khan

Error 1

It's not absolutely but research leads computer games popular with the
Chinese. It could well be a registry entry left over after uninstalling
the game.

Error 2

As you say a left over from uninstalling Registry Mechanic.

Error 3

There are a number of reports mentioning this error but no fixes.
However, it is interesting that references a hard drive and your problem
following chkdsk.

Error 4
I do not think it is relevant to resolving the problem with your
startup.

I think that the reference in Disk management to the hard drive being
healthy may be concealing an underlying problem. Given the consequences
if your hard drive fails it could be important to test your hard drive.
Can you download Everest as I suggested and post details of your hard
drive.

I have another suggestion to make regarding Error 1 and Error 2. I
would download and install cCleaner
http://www.ccleaner.com/ccdownload.asp
http://www.ccleaner.com/

Once you have installed cCleaner create a new System Restore point.
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/createrp.html

Next start cCleaner and select the Issues tab and check all boxes.
Select scan and then check all boxes before the Issues identified and
click on Fix. If anything subsequently seems wrong you can always you
use the System Restore point to put the Registry back to what it was
before running cCleaner. Otherwise you need to proceed slowly with
cCleaner. Try out bits at a time to see how it works and what it does.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From: khan on
Gerry, I downloaded, installed and ran ccleaner. It fixed some problems
(wonder what?) but the system started ok. The actual problem wasnt solved. I
have installed the suggested program 'Everest (home edition)' and it shows
the following in "storage, windows storage". I am posting 3 reports, which
one you wanted to see, I dont know . Hope this helps.

--------[ Windows Storage
]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ TOSHIBA MK3021GAS ]

Device Properties:
Driver Description TOSHIBA MK3021GAS
Driver Date 01/07/2001
Driver Version 5.1.2535.0
Driver Provider Microsoft
INF File disk.inf

Disk Device Physical Info:
Manufacturer Toshiba
Hard Disk Name MK-3021GAS
Form Factor 2.5"
Formatted Capacity 30.01 GB
Disks 1
Recording Surfaces 2
Physical Dimensions 100 x 69.85 x 9.5 mm
Max. Weight 96 g
Average Rotational Latency 7.14 ms
Rotational Speed 4200 RPM
Max. Internal Data Rate 298 Mbit/s
Average Seek 12 ms
Track-To-Track Seek 2 ms
Full Seek 22 ms
Interface Ultra-ATA/100
Buffer-to-Host Data Rate 100 MB/s
Buffer Size 2 MB
Spin-Up Time 4 sec

--------[ Physical Drives
]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ Drive #1 - TOSHIBA MK3021GAS (27 GB) ]

#1 (Active) NTFS C: 0 MB
16751 MB
#2 NTFS D: 16751 MB
11864 MB

--------[ Logical Drives

C: Local Disk NTFS 16751 MB 11504 MB 5247 MB 31 % 1AD2-E616
D: Local Disk NTFS 11864 MB 4748 MB 7115 MB 60 % ABBF-6D31
E: Optical Drive

Thanks again.
--
khan