From: khan on
Gerry,

I have already tested the HDD (through 'self testing' of BIOS). It reported
no errors.

I am keeping the start up (bootable) CD handy, provided with the system. But
I would prefer to remove all hardware and software one by one and perform
CHKDSK after each removal or uninstall, to look for my culprit. If I am able
to find it i will inform you posting a message for you to help anyone else in
future or any other reader who also has same problem. Otherwise I WILL HAVE
TO TAKE THE SOUR PILL AND GO FOR FORMAT. I will run 'ccleaner' and 'registry
mechanic' after each removal or uninstall. It will take LOT of time, but I
dont want to give up to a machine that easily. If you have a better
suggestion I would like to opt for that too.

Thanks for the tip for reading the message on the 'stop screen' of CHKDSK.
The message reads something like this;

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent
damage to your computer.

SESSION5_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

If this is first time you have seen this stop error screen, restart your
computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If
this is new installation ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any
windows updates.

If problem continues, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or
software. Disable BIOS memory option such as caching or shadowing.

Restart in safe mode by
............................................................etc etc

Technical Information

***stop:0X00000071 0X00000000, 0X00000000, 0X00000000, 0X00000000"

I will wait for your suggestion(s) before proceeding with the uninstall of
drivers and softwares on my machine.

Thanks
--
khan

From: Gerry Cornell on
Khan

That Stop Error Message is very helpful but it does leave a number
avenues to explore.

The particular Stop message is part of a Group of Stop messages, which
might indicate a problem with outdated firmware, corrupted system
files, or an incompatible HAL type. The error is occurring during a boot
phase when interrupts are enabled and the remaining Windows executive
components, including device drivers, are initialised. In addition, the
remaining CPUs in multiprocessor systems are initialised.

You might try System Restore:
How to restore the operating system to a previous state in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084/

Pick a Restore Point dated immediately before you think the problem
started. Please note you will lose good changes made since that date and
will need to redo them. List them before restoring so you have the
necessary information to carry them out.

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#WhatsRestored
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/healthy.html

I have been testing HD Tune. (freeware). Download and run it see and see
what it turns up.
http://www.hdtune.com/

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From: khan on
Gerry,

I think we fixed the problem. It was Kaspersky (antivirus) not allowing the
system to proceed with normal boot after the chkdsk with /F switch.

Restoring the system to a back date: I had written above that I installed
"System Mechanic" trial version downloaded from www.iolo.com, what this
program did was it deleted all my "restore points" before the date it was
installed. I only noticed this when I tried to run chkdsk on Nov. 1st. The
first thing I tried was to restore the system to a back date but there were
no restore points.

I had downloaded couple of updates for sofwares and drivers in the past
month, I uninstalled all the programs whose updates were installed and had to
uninstall the devices whose updated drivers were installed. Nothing helped. I
removed kaspersky (KAV) and ran chkdsk again. The system booted perfect; no
problems, no stop screens, no startup options. To be sure KAV was the
culprit, I again installed it on my system and ran chkdsk with /F switch
again. To my surprise the system boots normal this time. I downloaded the
updates of the KAV and again run chkdsk twice, the system seemed to be
booting normal. I dont get it. ONE more thing; After I installed KAV (had not
downloaded updates, yet) XP stopped responding on the main screen after
booting up and bringing all icons on DT and system tray. Had to switch off
the system manually. It could be because of ccleaner, as I ran it from
"Clean" without unchecking any options.

I think before I re-install the programs I have uninstalled I should wait
for couple of days and check the behavior of KAV and XP. I still havent
written off "a physical problem with the HDD"... Now that the system seems to
be operating normal I used CHKDSK command with /R and /X switches it didnt
report any problems and rebooted ok too.

Anyway, Gerry, THANKS a LOT for all the help and effort you did to help me
out.

Cheers,

khan

From: Gerry Cornell on
Khan

Let's hope the problems are ended.

This link makes a point:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#AfterRestoring

a.. Any type of application that requires regular updates, such as virus
and spyware applications may need to have there definitions updated.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/4441182.stm

We shall see next time <g>.

Take care.

--

Regards.

Gerry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> [...]
>> boot
>> phase when interrupts are enabled and the remaining Windows executive
>> components, including device drivers, are initialised. In addition,
>> the
>> remaining CPUs in multiprocessor systems are initialised.
>>
>> You might try System Restore:
>> How to restore the operating system to a previous state in Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084/
>>
>> Pick a Restore Point dated immediately before you think the problem
>> started. Please note you will lose good changes made since that date
>> and
>> will need to redo them. List them before restoring so you have the
>> necessary information to carry them out.
>>
>> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#WhatsRestored
>> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/healthy.html
>>
>> I have been testing HD Tune. (freeware). Download and run it see and

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: "Personal Cache"
Next: System performance