From: Nick on

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 04:22:45 GMT, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "Brian K"
<remove_this(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>This is probably nothing to do with your present problem but I've noticed in
>my last two Dells that when the nVidia drivers load on startup, the fan
>slows down. If you uninstall the nVidia drivers the fan doesn't slow and
>running Windows is noisy. Fixed by reinstalling the drivers.

I have an ATI board, and updated the drivers (from the ATI website) right
after the computer arrived.

One computer years ago came with an nVidia board and I was happy with it,
but since then I've always had ATI boards because they were the top-of-the
line offering at the time I was buying a new computer. With the recent
posts in this newsgroup about nVidia overheating issues, I saw no reason not
to go with ATI for this new computer.

Frankly, now I think this fans speed-up in BIOS isn't really a problem, just
a bit of paranoia on my part: is my new baby sick?????

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl(a)pobox.com>

1. The statement below is false.
2. The statement above is true.
From: Nick on

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 10:19:12 -0400, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Daddy
<daddy(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:

>When I was doing my research, the only real complaint that people had
>about the XPS 8100 was that the fan would speed up, just for a second or
>so, and then drop down to regular speed. This would happen roughly once
>per minute. It happened even while in the BIOS, so overheating was ruled
>out as a cause.
>
>It turned out that there was a problem with the heat sink/fan assembly
>for the processor; once this assembly was replaced everything went back
>to normal (with very few exceptions.)

I've had the CPU gadget on my Desktop for the last few days, and when the
CPU stays above 10% for several seconds the fan speeds up a little; haven't
noticed any fan speed-ups when the CPU is just idling.

One time the computer got really loud: when I checked Task Manager all eight
logical cores were at 100%. It's not that loud in the BIOS.

As I said in my previous post, I think this is probably just paranoia on my
part. But it certainly has turned into an interesting discussion.

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl(a)pobox.com>

For those who have trouble remembering the words for the song '99 Bottles of
Beer on the Wall', somewhere on the Internet there's a page with the
complete lyrics: all 100 verses!

How on earth did humanity ever survive before we invented the Internet?
From: Nick on

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 11:59:59 -0400, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Tony Harding
<tharding(a)newsguy.com> wrote:

>On 03/20/10 03:08, Nick wrote:
>>
>> I've noticed this before, but was too busy to pay much attention.
>>
>> When I hit F2 and go into the BIOS setup on my XPS 9000, the fan at the back
>> of the computer revs up; noticeably faster and louder than most of the time
>> when I'm in Windows, and it doesn't slow back down until I exit setup and
>> the computer starts the rest of the boot sequence.

>Mine does not. The fan comes on audibly when I first power up, but does
>not speed up if I go into the BIOS (via F2).

In case we're comparing apples and oranges here, which CPU do you have? Mine
is the I7-960 (3.2GHz), which probably runs hotter than the slower speed
versions.

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl(a)pobox.com>

.... And it was written in fiery pixels: FREE UNLIMITED ACCESS FOR ALL!!
From: Cmplx80 on
Nick wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 04:22:45 GMT, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "Brian K"
> <remove_this(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This is probably nothing to do with your present problem but I've noticed in
>> my last two Dells that when the nVidia drivers load on startup, the fan
>> slows down. If you uninstall the nVidia drivers the fan doesn't slow and
>> running Windows is noisy. Fixed by reinstalling the drivers.
>
> I have an ATI board, and updated the drivers (from the ATI website) right
> after the computer arrived.
>
> One computer years ago came with an nVidia board and I was happy with it,
> but since then I've always had ATI boards because they were the top-of-the
> line offering at the time I was buying a new computer. With the recent
> posts in this newsgroup about nVidia overheating issues, I saw no reason not
> to go with ATI for this new computer.
>
> Frankly, now I think this fans speed-up in BIOS isn't really a problem, just
> a bit of paranoia on my part: is my new baby sick?????

A couple of more stabs at this:

In your original post, you stated that "the fan at the back of the
computer" revs up. This would be the power supply fan. Is it really
the ps fan speeding up or is there just an increase in fan noise that
*could* be from tne internal fan?

Did you install any "power down" software when you installed the UPS?

Frank
From: Nick on

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 12:43:22 -0500, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Cmplx80
<Cmplx80(a)Karma.com> wrote:

>In your original post, you stated that "the fan at the back of the
>computer" revs up. This would be the power supply fan. Is it really
>the ps fan speeding up or is there just an increase in fan noise that
>*could* be from tne internal fan?

Well, when I investigated before, I was just reaching behind the computer
and feeling a lot more warm air coming out of the power supply fan area at
the same time I heard a fan speeding up.

After reading your post, I pulled the tower out where I could get closer and
listen to the fans better.

Turns out the noise is actually the CPU fan, which pulls air in through the
center rear grill on the left side of the computer. The power supply fan
(and the chassis fan below it), are blowing more air out because the CPU fan
is pulling more air in.

Also, the LED's on the front of the UPS indicate a slight increase in load
while in the BIOS setup, and the load and the fan speed both drop back to
normal a few seconds after the 'Starting Windows' screen comes up.

So I think my vote is for my original theory: some power management function
in Windows isn't active before Windows starts up, so there's nothing to tell
the CPU it's not busy and doesn't need to run at full speed. So the CPU
runs at max speed, draws more current, gets warmer, and the CPU fan revs up
to deal with the heat.

>Did you install any "power down" software when you installed the UPS?

Yes, but that doesn't do anything unless there's a long enough power outage
to deplete the battery.

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl(a)pobox.com>

Nick's First Law of Computer Virus Complaints:

Just because your computer is acting strangely or one of your programs
doesn't work right, this does NOT mean that your computer has a virus.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: Making a .m3u file (playlist)
Next: help??