From: Tony Harding on
On 03/25/10 12:52, Nick wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 11:59:59 -0400, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Tony Harding
> <tharding(a)newsguy.com> wrote:
>
>> On 03/20/10 03:08, Nick wrote:
>>>
>>> I've noticed this before, but was too busy to pay much attention.
>>>
>>> When I hit F2 and go into the BIOS setup on my XPS 9000, the fan at the back
>>> of the computer revs up; noticeably faster and louder than most of the time
>>> when I'm in Windows, and it doesn't slow back down until I exit setup and
>>> the computer starts the rest of the boot sequence.
>
>> Mine does not. The fan comes on audibly when I first power up, but does
>> not speed up if I go into the BIOS (via F2).
>
> In case we're comparing apples and oranges here,

Huh, how do you know what we're comparing other than XPS 9000s?

? which CPU do you have? Mine
> is the I7-960 (3.2GHz), which probably runs hotter than the slower speed
> versions.

Yeah, probably. I have the i7 975 Extreme Edition processor (and 12 GB
of DDR3 memory, a GTX275 Nvidia card, 4 internal HDDs, Blu Ray ROM/DVD
burner, etc.).
From: Tony Harding on
On 03/25/10 12:39, Nick wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 10:19:12 -0400, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, Daddy
> <daddy(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> When I was doing my research, the only real complaint that people had
>> about the XPS 8100 was that the fan would speed up, just for a second or
>> so, and then drop down to regular speed. This would happen roughly once
>> per minute. It happened even while in the BIOS, so overheating was ruled
>> out as a cause.
>>
>> It turned out that there was a problem with the heat sink/fan assembly
>> for the processor; once this assembly was replaced everything went back
>> to normal (with very few exceptions.)
>
> I've had the CPU gadget on my Desktop for the last few days, and when the
> CPU stays above 10% for several seconds the fan speeds up a little; haven't
> noticed any fan speed-ups when the CPU is just idling.
>
> One time the computer got really loud: when I checked Task Manager all eight
> logical cores were at 100%. It's not that loud in the BIOS.
>
> As I said in my previous post, I think this is probably just paranoia on my
> part. But it certainly has turned into an interesting discussion.
>
> --
> Nick<mailto:tanstaafl(a)pobox.com>
>
> For those who have trouble remembering the words for the song '99 Bottles of
> Beer on the Wall', somewhere on the Internet there's a page with the
> complete lyrics: all 100 verses!
>
> How on earth did humanity ever survive before we invented the Internet?

We were smarter & tougher, with much better memories, too! :)

From: Dddudley on
On 3/27/2010 6:10 AM, Tony Harding wrote:
> On 03/25/10 12:39, Nick wrote:

[snip]

>> How on earth did humanity ever survive before we invented the Internet?

Humans didn't invent the internet, Al Gore did! ;)

From: Tony Harding on
On 03/27/10 10:01, Dddudley wrote:
> On 3/27/2010 6:10 AM, Tony Harding wrote:
>> On 03/25/10 12:39, Nick wrote:
>>>

> [snip]
>

>>> How on earth did humanity ever survive before we invented the Internet?
>
> Humans didn't invent the internet, Al Gore did! ;)

Really? News to me. Bet Tommy Lee Jones didn't know this --- suppose he
did???
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: Making a .m3u file (playlist)