From: Gary Baldi on
On Dec 29, 4:59 pm, Ben Myers <ben_my...(a)charter.net> wrote:

> Unfortunately, Dell and others integrate the Windows software install
> into the whole factory assembly process.  Installing the same software
> every time, even if buggy, will continue until somebody intervenes with
> an updated version... Ben Myers- Hide quoted text -

See my other post about the same DVD containing Win7 activating on one
Dell but not another.

Looks like someone's let a Dell Win7 DVD loose that doesn't dot all
the i's and cross all the t's.....

I only hope we're not going down the DellHell route that Dell embarked
on a few years ago...........
From: Nick on

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 11:13:39 -0500, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "Tom Lake"
<tlake(a)twcny.rr.com> wrote:

>"Larry Hermann" <lhermann(a)nospam.com> wrote in message
>> I received an XPS 9000 equipped with Windows 7 (64) and the nVidia GT 220 video card on
>> December 1st. From time to time the computer would freeze; the screen would go black,
>> then recover and produce a message saying that the video card had registered an error
>> but recovered. From past experience, I knew that Dell was often sloppy in updating
>> drivers for their peripherals and went to the nVidia website to see if the drivers had
>> been updated. It turns out that the drivers shipped by Dell with the the GT 220 are over
>> six months old, predating the release of Windows 7, and there have been a whole series
>> of updates since then, the latest a Microsoft certified driver released in November.
>
>I never rely on the drivers that come with a pre-built computer. I just bought
>a 9000 with a GTS 240 in it. I couldn't run Bejeweled 2 and 3-D Vision was jerky.
> I visited the Nvidia site, got the latest driver and am happy now. My 3-D Vision
>and all games including Bejeweled 2 run fine.

My current Dell came with an ATI card and my previous one came with an
nVidia card.

In both cases, the driver supplied by Dell was a stripped-down version: it
worked fine (as far as I could tell), but was missing most of the control
panel options for changing the settings. For a non-gamer, most of the
missing settings really wouldn't matter, but at the time I was still playing
a lot of games and not being able to tweak things was really frustrating.

Both times, I downloaded the latest drivers from the nVidia/ATI site and
they worked fine and included all the settings options.

I also ran into this once, a long time ago, (I don't do this anymore) when I
downloaded a video driver from Windows Update: the new driver worked fine,
but I lost the ability to tweak a lot of the video card's settings. Again,
getting the driver from the card manufacturer's web site worked fine.

On a side note: one of my previous computers (Dell or Micron) came with a
Creative sound card, but updating with the drivers from Creative's site or
from Windows Update caused problems. Turned out the card was an OEM version
and I had to use the drivers from the computer manufacturer's web site. The
OEM card's features were slightly different from the ones on the standard
version from Creative, and that made enough difference to prevent the
Creative drivers from working correctly.

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl(a)pobox.com>

"The best laid schemes o' mice an' men Gang aft agley." Robert Burns
From: Nick on

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 18:58:49 -0800, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "Larry
Hermann" <lhermann(a)nospam.com> wrote:

>I received an XPS 9000 equipped with Windows 7 (64) and the nVidia GT 220
>video card on December 1st. From time to time the computer would freeze; the
>screen would go black, then recover and produce a message saying that the
>video card had registered an error but recovered. From past experience, I
>knew that Dell was often sloppy in updating drivers for their peripherals
>and went to the nVidia website to see if the drivers had been updated. It
>turns out that the drivers shipped by Dell with the the GT 220 are over six
>months old, predating the release of Windows 7, and there have been a whole
>series of updates since then, the latest a Microsoft certified driver
>released in November.

I plan on buying an XPS 9000 sometime in the next month or so, and this is
nice to know about.

When I buy a new computer, I usually go through and check for updates to
drivers, etc. eventually, but now I know to update the video drivers quickly
and not put it off until I get a round tuit.

Thanks for the heads up!

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl(a)pobox.com>

"Natural laws have no pity." R.A.H.
From: WSZsr on
I would say that virtually all of the video and audio cards dell ships are
OEM versions of the retail version.

From: MJMIII on
Not if you're building a non stock Dell. Last year I ordered my XPS630i
with a Radeon 4800 series, and that's the first thing I checked when I got
it. The card is the real ATI deal.

--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.