From: Jason Thibodeau on
Is it possible to get a detailed report out of XST, listing the gates it
has optimized out of a design? XST is removing some gates that I
specifically put into a design, and I want to prevent this. I can use
the XST constraints file, but I'd like to see exactly what it is doing.

Googling hasn't turned up much, yet.

Thanks
--
Jason Thibodeau
From: David Wiltshire on
On Mar 26, 6:06 am, Jason Thibodeau <jason.p.thibod...(a)gmail.com>
wrote:
> Is it possible to get a detailed report out of XST, listing the gates it
> has optimized out of a design? XST is removing some gates that I
> specifically put into a design, and I want to prevent this. I can use
> the XST constraints file, but I'd like to see exactly what it is doing.
>
> Googling hasn't turned up much, yet.
>
> Thanks
> --
> Jason Thibodeau

Not that I'm experienced but whenever I've seen a similar question
(missing logic) it's been optomised out because you haven't connected
the output to anything. Try connecting it to a pin out (even if
that's not where you want it eventually) and see if it turns up.

Dave
From: Jason Thibodeau on
On 03/25/2010 11:24 PM, David Wiltshire wrote:
> On Mar 26, 6:06 am, Jason Thibodeau<jason.p.thibod...(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Is it possible to get a detailed report out of XST, listing the gates it
>> has optimized out of a design? XST is removing some gates that I
>> specifically put into a design, and I want to prevent this. I can use
>> the XST constraints file, but I'd like to see exactly what it is doing.
>>
>> Googling hasn't turned up much, yet.
>>
>> Thanks
>> --
>> Jason Thibodeau
>
> Not that I'm experienced but whenever I've seen a similar question
> (missing logic) it's been optomised out because you haven't connected
> the output to anything. Try connecting it to a pin out (even if
> that's not where you want it eventually) and see if it turns up.
>
> Dave

Yes, I ran across that and I connected the output. Only the last gate in
the design is being synthesized. All the other gates, which connect to
it, are being optimized out.

--
Jason Thibodeau
From: Jason Thibodeau on
On 03/26/2010 12:00 PM, Jason Thibodeau wrote:
> On 03/25/2010 11:24 PM, David Wiltshire wrote:
>> On Mar 26, 6:06 am, Jason Thibodeau<jason.p.thibod...(a)gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Is it possible to get a detailed report out of XST, listing the gates it
>>> has optimized out of a design? XST is removing some gates that I
>>> specifically put into a design, and I want to prevent this. I can use
>>> the XST constraints file, but I'd like to see exactly what it is doing.
>>>
>>> Googling hasn't turned up much, yet.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> --
>>> Jason Thibodeau
>>
>> Not that I'm experienced but whenever I've seen a similar question
>> (missing logic) it's been optomised out because you haven't connected
>> the output to anything. Try connecting it to a pin out (even if
>> that's not where you want it eventually) and see if it turns up.
>>
>> Dave
>
> Yes, I ran across that and I connected the output. Only the last gate in
> the design is being synthesized. All the other gates, which connect to
> it, are being optimized out.

I'd like to bump this. Any word on how Ic an stop it from optimizing my
required logic away? Why wouldn't Xilinx just allow me to turn off
optimization?

--
Jason Thibodeau
From: whygee on
Jason Thibodeau wrote:
> I'd like to bump this. Any word on how Ic an stop it from optimizing my
> required logic away? Why wouldn't Xilinx just allow me to turn off
> optimization?

If you use VHDL, there are some "pragma" or "attribute"s
("set_dont_touch" or "keep" ?) that specify that a net must be kept.
It worked for me on Actel/Synplify but I don't remember the syntax.
I suppose that the same exists in Verilog.

A quick googling told me (unchecked) :
http://www.xilinx.com/itp/xilinx8/books/data/docs/xst/xst0059_8.html
www.altera.com/literature/hb/qts/qts_qii51008.pdf
and more, but I couldn't spend much time on this.

HTH
yg
--
http://ygdes.com / http://yasep.org