From: petela on
I've been thinking about a different interface cable to the 1541 (and
other serial devices) for some time. Using the X1541 et al has been
troublesome for me. And others I think have a love/hate relationship
with them as well. Right now I have an old Pentium-100 with FreeDOS I
use for all my X1541 needs, but it is a pain to move back and forth
between that machine and my main box. Especially when transferring
data.

I'm an embedded software engineer by trade, so I'm quite comfortable
writing PIC/AVR/8051/etc code, and have been considering some of the
newer (and cheap!) USB microcontrollers out there. So I've started
working on a project to do the USB<-->CBM cable. As part of my
background search, there is reference to the XU1541 cable, but all the
links I have found are broken. Does this cable still exist? Are
there archives of the work that was done?

I saw some discussion of integrating the XU1541 into OpenCBM. I've
downloaded OpenCBM, and it appears to be a toolset plus a low-level
driver. I haven't explored it much, but it appears to bit-bang the
parallel port via the X1541 (et al) cable.

Not to stir up the USB vs parallel port debate, I wanted to announce
my own work on a USB cable. I have created a website and blog (my
first ever, so don't expect much) documenting my ideas and the
project. I'm open to ideas, and help. Check out my blog at
http://mudplace.org/?cat=u1541 for more information.

I think the biggest barrier to the USB version of the cable is cost.
X1541 cables are very inexpensive and easy to make. A USB solution
requires several more dollars (probably close to $30 in parts in small
quantity purchases). However, I think a USB solution could be much
cleaner in terms of ease of use, offloading the bit-banging to a
microcontroller, and compatibility with newer machines.

Anyways, if anybody is interested, I'd be glad to hear from them.

Pete
From: Paul Förster on
Pete,

> I've been thinking about a different interface cable to the 1541 (and
> other serial devices) for some time. Using the X1541 et al has been
> troublesome for me.
[..]
> Not to stir up the USB vs parallel port debate, I wanted to announce
> my own work on a USB cable.
[..]
> A USB solution requires several more dollars (probably close to $30
> in parts in small quantity purchases).

.... if you'd really put this into a real thing then I'd buy one. 30
bucks is not that much.

I don't want the parallel port anymore. No, I don't want to stir up the
discussions about pros and cons either but fact is, less and less
machines have one. I for one have only on PC (old laptop) left that has
a parallel port. That's why I don't want it. It works fine, but for how
long? I changed its hard disk once and put a 2 GB disk into it. But
what about today's sizes? Can it handle at least a fraction of them, i.
e. can I plug in a modern disk at all? You see my worry. This old
laptop will inevitably die one day and then I don't have a computer
with parallel port anymore... Hence, looking for alternatives. And USB
would definitely be a great alternative.
--
cul8er

Paul
paul.foerster(a)gmx.net

From: Simon Scott on
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 23:07:21 -0800, petela wrote:

> Anyways, if anybody is interested, I'd be glad to hear from them.

Consider me interested :D
From: redrumloa on
Ignore any noise, options are good. And yes, legacy devices like
parallel ports are getting scarce. My recent motherboard has a built
in floppy adapter, but it doesn't even work! All legacy devices are
going bye-bye :-/
From: Jim Brain on
petela(a)mudplace.org wrote:
> I'm an embedded software engineer by trade, so I'm quite comfortable
> writing PIC/AVR/8051/etc code, and have been considering some of the
> newer (and cheap!) USB microcontrollers out there. So I've started
> working on a project to do the USB<-->CBM cable. As part of my
> background search, there is reference to the XU1541 cable, but all the
> links I have found are broken. Does this cable still exist? Are
> there archives of the work that was done?
It does exist, but political infighting or something made the original
author grow uninterested in the project. At the beginning of the year,
he asked to have all the links to his site removed and he removed the page: