From: Harry Potter on
I would like somebody to do what Apple did with the IIgs and make a
C64/128-compatible 16-bit computer. It would have the following
features:

* A version of the 65816 processor
* 16-bit graphics/sound
* hardware-based 1571 burst mode
* compatibility with CMD drives and CBM devices
* modular 8-bit and 16-bit BASICs
* in-ROM compression and text editing
* RGB monitor
* math coprocessor
* character and bitmapped graphics modes and sprites

What do you think? Good idea, or not?
From: Tom Lake on

"Harry Potter" <maspethrose7(a)aol.com> wrote in message
>I would like somebody to do what Apple did with the IIgs and make a
> C64/128-compatible 16-bit computer. It would have the following
> features:
>
> * A version of the 65816 processor
> * 16-bit graphics/sound
> * hardware-based 1571 burst mode
> * compatibility with CMD drives and CBM devices
> * modular 8-bit and 16-bit BASICs
> * in-ROM compression and text editing
> * RGB monitor
> * math coprocessor
> * character and bitmapped graphics modes and sprites
>
> What do you think? Good idea, or not?

While I'd like to see that, too, it would take a lot of volunteer
work since the commercial appeal would be extremely limited.
I don't think you'll ever see it actually happen.

Tom Lake

From: Joe Forster/STA on
This sounds like another core for the Commodore One.
From: christianlott1 on
IMO a more practical question would be - if you were to create a
computer right now simply in the 'spirit' of your C64, what would it
be/do?

some people will say 6510/C02/816 or the Propeller, or the 8bit Rabbit
or the ez80. some people will say compatability, others wouldn't think
comapability matters.

instead of wishing for a computer that would take years to build - why
not start with something simple that could be put together with a
minimal amount of fuss for a small amount of money? something 'for the
masses not the classes' :)

for my part i'm trying to find a graphics solution for this wireless
16bit msp430 ti gave me. i have a Royal Alpha 2001 electric typewriter
i'd like to use as it's keyboard and printer. the typewriter has a 12
line bus connecting the keyboard to the print mech i'd need to put the
processor between.

for me this is something practical and cool that i think i could
figure out within the next year, and if i can't/don't - i'll still
have learned a lot.

i think the wave of the future is tiny embedded computers - dirt cheap
terminals - with only moderate graphics capability (maybe with just a
character generator) interfaced to secure databases. this is my
target.

if i can find dirt cheap/simple graphics solution with greater
capabilities - even better - but the single chip graphics solution is
important - unless you'd run the whole computer off a cheap $5
graphics card (like the dual head matrox card i'm using now).

(gp)gpu may also be made into a stand alone system.

so, sure - it's a good idea, but when could you have it ready? and for
how much? and would you have fun doing it - enough fun so that when
it's finally completed and only two people buy it you're not crying
about all your time wasted?

From: retrocomtoday on
C128 + SuperCPU 128 + MMU + RGB monitor anyone?

Regards,

Shaun.