From: David Murray on
> What do you think? Good idea, or not?

It would have been cool in 1987.. but not today. It would have as
many users as the Commodore One (all 3 of them) and about zero
software.
From: Eric on
On Apr 11, 1:09 pm, christianlott1 <christianlo...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> for my part i'm trying to find a graphics solution for this wireless
> 16bit msp430 ti gave me.

I love msp430's but that particular set of boards is terrible. The
quality of workmanship sucks and the range is incredibly short. Do
yourself a favor and replace it with an Atmel RZRaven kit. Much higher
quality, open source friendly, and the removes have LCD screens.

Eric
From: Mark McDougall on
Harry Potter wrote:

> I would like somebody to do what Apple did with the IIgs and make a
> C64/128-compatible 16-bit computer. It would have the following
> features:
>
> * A version of the 65816 processor
> * 16-bit graphics/sound
> * hardware-based 1571 burst mode
> * compatibility with CMD drives and CBM devices
> * modular 8-bit and 16-bit BASICs
> * in-ROM compression and text editing
> * RGB monitor
> * math coprocessor
> * character and bitmapped graphics modes and sprites
>
> What do you think? Good idea, or not?

I subscribe to a reasonable variety of different retro newsgroups, mailing
lists and forums for a range of machines and I can tell you that - without
exception - every group has a similar idea/proposal put forward by someone
like yourself.

Don't get me wrong - I think it's a cool idea - but I've yet to see anything
get off the ground, bar the C-one of course, and that's currently
floundering at best.

There are numerous FPGA-based implementations of a host of retro micros
available now, and they're by far the best candidates for receiving a
make-over - yet no-one has bothered. And software emulators are even more
suited (and accessible) as prototype platforms - again, nothing.

IMHO the biggest barrier to success is the lack of software support - no-one
is interested in a machine that has no software, regardless of its origins
or its coolness factor. A shiny new 16-bit Commodore BASIC prompt is only
interesting when you first see it at a retro get-together...

Regards,

From: Sam Gillett on

"Joe Forster/STA" wrote ...

> This sounds like another core for the Commodore One.

And, that sounds like about the only way it will ever happen. :-)
--
Best regards,

Sam Gillett

Change is inevitable,
except from vending machines!

From: BruceMcF on
On Apr 11, 8:14 pm, Mark McDougall <msmcd...(a)no.spam.iinet> wrote:
> IMHO the biggest barrier to success is the lack of software support - no-one
> is interested in a machine that has no software, regardless of its origins
> or its coolness factor. A shiny new 16-bit Commodore BASIC prompt is only
> interesting when you first see it at a retro get-together...

I see no point in a 65816 BASIC ... its still BASIC.

If you have a 65816 soft core, you have a 6502 by default ... but you
need some reason for the 65816. Maybe it runs ELKS, but inside a
joystick that hooks up to a television through an AV jack ... if ELKS
targets a 1MB address space processor with 64K banks on 16 byte
boundaries, surely it can target a 16MB address space processor with
64K banks on 256 byte boundaries!

How to get a Chinese (or Malaysian or ...) manufacturer interested in
making it? SNES is the only lure I could see, but SNES+C64 with a SD
Flash ram socket.

So, C64+SuperCPU+SNES+Contiki+ELKS. Make sure it includes enough of a
soft core CIA to be able to run an SPI bus at 1/4 the system bus,
which in SuperCPU mode would be 5Mb/s or better than 512KB/s.

And at least the start of a code base.