From: christianlott1 on
On Apr 16, 3:04 pm, BruceMcF <agil...(a)netscape.net> wrote:
> So it'd be great for a higher speed peripheral bus ... lots of
> microcontroller oriented peripherals, 100kbit/s is a bus that the C64
> could keep up with, especially if there was a bridge microcontroller
> in between, there'd be standard I2C support modules for the mainstream
> FPGA's ...
>
> ... but not for a mainboard bus.

so i guess that's a 'no' to my question whether the C64's internal bus
could be replaced with a fast serial bus?

> On what system? NCL looks like a good system, but I'd not want to use
> it on anything less than a 65816, and maybe not that ... well
> developed libraries often have common resource assumptions spread all
> through the system, since there's no pressing need to run on a system
> that cannot support the code that the module normally calls or that
> normally class the module.

on a PC system, using the 8 bit as client OR simply not using the full
NCL capabilities - a small subset of the libraries and language.

> A CP/M-86 with GSX for a CGA display, or CP/M Plus with a GSX for the
> C128 VIC screen seems like something that an emulator could run, to
> get an idea of what cross-platform code could be written to that API.
> And having an API that was a comfortable fit for an 8-bit would be
> handy if playing around with VIC-II+ display modes.

A hardware implementation of common graphic functions - GSX-HW?

I'd just like to see hw scrolling - and horizontal bit position
addressing rather than character cell divide by eight bit map
addressing.

From: christianlott1 on

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOS_Technology_6545
From: BruceMcF on
On Apr 16, 4:40 pm, christianlott1 <christianlo...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> so i guess that's a 'no' to my question whether the C64's internal bus
> could be replaced with a fast serial bus?

It probably could be, but I2C is not really a fast serial bus ...
faster than IEC or most RS232 modems, but not fast compared to Serial
ATA.

> A hardware implementation of common graphic functions - GSX-HW?

That would definitely speed things up for an 8-bit running free-
standing.

> I'd just like to see hw scrolling - and horizontal bit position
> addressing rather than character cell divide by eight bit map
> addressing.

Yeah, I was thinking about hw scrolling. Does it have to be diagonal?
Horizontal or vertical would be more straightforward. It seems that if
the VIC++ is reading the bitmap in at one time, it could store that in
an internal bitmap, and have a second bitmap that it starts reading on
an edge, running across, to do the scroll. Given an 8 pixel border all
the way around, and it can read data in a byte at a time, replacing
the bitmap data that is scrolling away, and wrapping around in
hardware.

And yeah, it seems like it would be easier with a direct row/col pixel
addressing as opposed to 8x8 character-rom addressing.
From: christianlott1 on
On Apr 16, 5:10 pm, BruceMcF <agil...(a)netscape.net> wrote:
> On Apr 16, 4:40 pm, christianlott1 <christianlo...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > so i guess that's a 'no' to my question whether the C64's internal bus
> > could be replaced with a fast serial bus?
>
> It probably could be, but I2C is not really a fast serial bus ...
> faster than IEC or most RS232 modems, but not fast compared to Serial
> ATA.
>
> > A hardware implementation of common graphic functions - GSX-HW?
>
> That would definitely speed things up for an 8-bit running free-
> standing.
>
> > I'd just like to see hw scrolling - and horizontal bit position
> > addressing rather than character cell divide by eight bit map
> > addressing.
>
> Yeah, I was thinking about hw scrolling. Does it have to be diagonal?
> Horizontal or vertical would be more straightforward. It seems that if
> the VIC++ is reading the bitmap in at one time, it could store that in
> an internal bitmap, and have a second bitmap that it starts reading on
> an edge, running across, to do the scroll. Given an 8 pixel border all
> the way around, and it can read data in a byte at a time, replacing
> the bitmap data that is scrolling away, and wrapping around in
> hardware.
>
> And yeah, it seems like it would be easier with a direct row/col pixel
> addressing as opposed to 8x8 character-rom addressing.

someone's going to need to know how big the fpga is and what type.

something that will fit this vga controller maybe?
http://www.opencores.org/projects.cgi/web/vga_lcd/overview
From: BruceMcF on
On Apr 16, 9:33 pm, christianlott1 <christianlo...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> someone's going to need to know how big the fpga is and what type.

If its done, then it'll be as big as the FPGA in the chip-fpga board
is, and that type. I guess its now time for the Xilinx vs Altera pie
fight, but I'm on the sidelines.