From: Martin Gregorie on
When I login to one specific user via ssh I'm getting the "Last Login"
message as usual, but just recently its been followed by a long pause
and the message:

/usr/bin/xauth: timeout in locking authority file /home/website/.Xauthority

Logging in to a different user via ssh doesn't show the pause but I do
see a long pause when I use su to become root from this apparently
unaffected user.

This started to happen yesterday after I got unexpectedly dropped out of
an ssh session while debugging a gawk script under the user that now
shows the timeout. Initially I was unable to log in again, but after a
reboot I can login again, but only slowly thanks to the timeout. I've
rebooted the laptop I run ssh sessions from as well, but that hasn't helped.

A related problem is that I can't run gftp within an ssh login to the
affected user. gftp fails to run (the GUI doesn't appear) and it almost
immediately shows the message:

The application 'gftp-gtk' lost its connection to the display
localhost:11.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.

I upgraded from FC4 (which never did this) to FC5 two weeks ago, did a
full package update after installing FC5 and again last week, which
picked up kernel 2.6.17-1. After getting the lock timeout I've just done
another full package update but the problem remains.

Obviously, there's a stuck flag somewhere in the X authorization system,
but where should I look for it and how can I clear it?

TIA
Martin

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: Martin Gregorie on
Martin Gregorie wrote:

> Obviously, there's a stuck flag somewhere in the X authorization system,
> but where should I look for it and how can I clear it?

I've just tried using the "xauth -b" option, which is claimed to break
locks on .Xauthority files. I've run it from root and from the locked-up
user. From root it apparently works but does nothing to clear the
timeout. Within the user it just times out on the lock. Duh!

Any suggestions welcome.

Also, where do the following files come from. Could they have any
bearing on this problem?

..esd_auth
..ICEauthority

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: Nix on
On Tue, 04 Jul 2006, Martin Gregorie moaned:
> Martin Gregorie wrote:
>> Obviously, there's a stuck flag somewhere in the X authorization
>> system, but where should I look for it and how can I clear it?

The problem is rather that when a heap of SSH sessions all fire up at
once, they all run xauth simultaneously, and xauth's locking blocks
most of them from adding their authentication tokens.

> I've just tried using the "xauth -b" option, which is claimed to break
> locks on .Xauthority files. I've run it from root and from the
> locked-up user. From root it apparently works but does nothing to
> clear the timeout. Within the user it just times out on the lock. Duh!

Rebuild openssh with --with-xauth pointing to a shell script looking
vaguely like

#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/bin/xauth -i "$@"

(WARNING: this may lead to a corrupted .Xauthority file, if you're
unlucky.)

> Also, where do the following files come from. Could they have any bearing on this problem?
>
> .esd_auth

esound's awful broken authentication system cookie; these get dropped
all over the place, even in / if you start esd systemwide (even if / is
not root's home directory). esound itself is awful and terminally
broken. I recommend fixing it by switching to polypaudio (which has
esound network protocol emulation, so you don't have to recompile
anything and can avoid running the bloody esound daemon for good).

> .ICEauthority

The X Inter-Client Exchange protocol. See the `iceauth' program to
manipulate this file. It uses much of the same code as xauth, but
serves a somewhat different purpose.

A major user of this system is KDE's DCOP interprocess communication
layer.

--
`She *is*, however, one of the few sf authors with a last name ending in O,
which adds some extra appeal to those of us who obsess about things like
From: Martin Gregorie on
Nix wrote:
> On Tue, 04 Jul 2006, Martin Gregorie moaned:
>> Martin Gregorie wrote:
>>> Obviously, there's a stuck flag somewhere in the X authorization
>>> system, but where should I look for it and how can I clear it?
>
> The problem is rather that when a heap of SSH sessions all fire up at
> once, they all run xauth simultaneously, and xauth's locking blocks
> most of them from adding their authentication tokens.

I this case I was the only user. OK, I may have had 2 - 3 ssh sessions
connected to the same user, but the ssh set-up was apparently stable and
working correctly. Then something crashed when I was running a gawk
script and killed that ssh session, dropping me back to the original
machine. At this point I couldn't login to that user. After rebooting
both systems (I'm not sure the local machine needed a reboot) I was able
to login to that user again but now with the pause and Xauthority access
timeout.

The problem still persists despite two reboots and a kernel upgrade.

I'm happy to agree that there is some corruption in the relevant
..Xauthority file or elsewhere. What's the best way to clear it?

Would deleting the .Xauthority file in the affected user help?

> Rebuild openssh with --with-xauth pointing to a shell script looking
> vaguely like
>
> #!/bin/sh
> exec /usr/bin/xauth -i "$@"

I'll bear that in mind if there's no other way to sort the problem out.

>> .esd_auth
>
> esound's awful broken authentication system cookie; these get dropped
> all over the place, even in / if you start esd systemwide (even if / is
> not root's home directory). esound itself is awful and terminally
> broken.

I haven't knowingly run esound or started esd. Does Helix use it?

>> .ICEauthority
>
> The X Inter-Client Exchange protocol. See the `iceauth' program to
> manipulate this file. It uses much of the same code as xauth, but
> serves a somewhat different purpose.
>
> A major user of this system is KDE's DCOP interprocess communication
> layer.

I don't use KDE - just Gnome.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: Nix on
On Sun, 09 Jul 2006, Martin Gregorie gibbered uncontrollably:
> Nix wrote:
>> The problem is rather that when a heap of SSH sessions all fire up at
>> once, they all run xauth simultaneously, and xauth's locking blocks
>> most of them from adding their authentication tokens.
>>
> I this case I was the only user. OK, I may have had 2 - 3 ssh sessions
> connected to the same user, but the ssh set-up was apparently stable
> and working correctly. Then something crashed when I was running a
> gawk script and killed that ssh session, dropping me back to the
> original machine. At this point I couldn't login to that user. After
> rebooting both systems (I'm not sure the local machine needed a
> reboot) I was able to login to that user again but now with the pause
> and Xauthority access timeout.

Strange: I'd expect stale locks to exist only if xauth was killed while
it was running, which is generally the instant after you establish an
SSH connection with X tunnelling.

> The problem still persists despite two reboots and a kernel upgrade.

The lock is a file on disk, so I'd expect it not to budge.

> I'm happy to agree that there is some corruption in the relevant
> .Xauthority file or elsewhere. What's the best way to clear it?

Judging from X11/lib/Xau/AuUnlock.c, the lock file's called
..Xauthority-l. Zap that.

> Would deleting the .Xauthority file in the affected user help?

Perhaps. It would certainly zap your X authentication tokens, as
well, of course, so restarting X would be a good idea.

>>> .esd_auth
>> esound's awful broken authentication system cookie; these get dropped
>> all over the place, even in / if you start esd systemwide (even if / is
>> not root's home directory). esound itself is awful and terminally
>> broken.
>>
> I haven't knowingly run esound or started esd. Does Helix use it?

It's GNOME's sound server. Everyone hates it.

(Everyone hates KDE's sound server too, and everyone also hates NAS.
polypaudio seems to be the least hateful network-capable sound server
around right now.)

>>> .ICEauthority
>> The X Inter-Client Exchange protocol. See the `iceauth' program to
>> manipulate this file. It uses much of the same code as xauth, but
>> serves a somewhat different purpose.
>>
>> A major user of this system is KDE's DCOP interprocess communication
>> layer.
>>
> I don't use KDE - just Gnome.

Other things use it, too, but KDE is an especially heavy user. (Note
that if you've ever started even *one* KDE app, it'll have established
ICE authentication tokens.)

--
`She *is*, however, one of the few sf authors with a last name ending in O,
which adds some extra appeal to those of us who obsess about things like
having a book review of an author for each letter in the alphabet.' -- rra
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: sshd known_hosts query
Next: Open source asm2c