From: Michael Kellett on

"Antti" <antti.lukats(a)googlemail.com> wrote in message
> the X-7 roadmap and all device table are no online,
> and the ARM11 is coming is also all public knowledge, but.. where? in
> what family?
>
> spartan is dead, now is Artix, und Kintex? but where is ARM11?
>
> in BULLSHITIX-8 release?
>
> I wonder. of course its very interesting to see how much mess Xilinx
> is able
> to organize with the 7 series, right now Xilinx online shop list
> exactly 2 devices of Spartan-6ES both going to avnet no stock
> there was initial stock of 45 pieces of Spartan-6 at digikey
> after that was depleted digikey has not received any new s-6 silicon.
>
> so, when comes spartan-6 general availability?
> does it makes to wait?
> or maybe it makes more sense to wait the Artix-7?
> or maybe..look for alternatives?
>

> Antti

I started with Xilinx when 100 logic blocks was the biggest device they
made. I gave up with them a few years ago because of the nonsense you
describe. Vapourware, no stock, no distribution.
I switched to Lattice and that was my best FPGA decision ever - not leading
edge but it just works.

Michael Kellett

From: Jaime Andres Aranguren C. on
"Ed McGettigan" <ed.mcgettigan(a)xilinx.com> wrote in message

I have seen the same and it is just the result of faulty data. I had
flagged this earlier and thought that it was being fixed, but it
appears to have fallen through the cracks somewhere.

> We all remember the Excalibar non-starter.

"That was an Altera product line (NIOS, MIPS, ARM processor+FPGA), not
a Xilinx one."

Hi Ed,

Although it was the competition's announced but missed product, I think it
is worth learning the lessons from others, not necessarily having to
experience it yourself and learning the hard way.

A & X have great products (as well as the other market players), but the
announcements of having future ones in the next smallest node (65, 40, 28nm)
is like a downward spiral, kind of war of who is announcing the biggest,
faster devices, with more and faster interfaces, but at the end if we
engineers are not able to use those beasts due to bad tool support, or
errata, or simply no silicon available, then all that blah, blah is simply
useless.

Regards,

Jaime Aranguren

From: Aaron Holtzman on
On Jun 21, 2:45 pm, Rob Gaddi <rga...(a)technologyhighland.com> wrote:
*snip*
> Right now I'm working on two S6 projects, both of which are absolute
> disasters due to problems with the toolchain.  My DRAM problem from a
> month ago, Xilinx ultimately told me was my problem and they washed
> their hands of it.

Anyone else notice that they seem to have dropped the memory
controller block (MCB) from the X7 product lineup? Not a great vote of
confidence for the current Spartan-6 implementation.

cheers,
aaron
From: John Larkin on
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 13:59:46 -0700 (PDT), Aaron Holtzman
<aholtzma(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On Jun 21, 2:45�pm, Rob Gaddi <rga...(a)technologyhighland.com> wrote:
>*snip*
>> Right now I'm working on two S6 projects, both of which are absolute
>> disasters due to problems with the toolchain. �My DRAM problem from a
>> month ago, Xilinx ultimately told me was my problem and they washed
>> their hands of it.
>
>Anyone else notice that they seem to have dropped the memory
>controller block (MCB) from the X7 product lineup? Not a great vote of
>confidence for the current Spartan-6 implementation.

We have a DDR2 ram interfaced to a S6/45. We can't get it to work.

John

From: Uwe Bonnes on
Ed McGettigan <ed.mcgettigan(a)xilinx.com> wrote:
> I understand your criticisms of the Spartan-6 production availability
> over the last few months. If you check the distributor stocking
> levels over the next 1-2 months you will see rapid improvement in this
> area.

Digikey now lists the full family, also as non-stock, with
e.g. XC6SLX4-2TQG144C-NC expected August 4 at 8.12 Euro at 31 pieces.

--
Uwe Bonnes bon(a)elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de

Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt