From: fpga_toys on

Austin Lesea wrote:
> "XDL and related info being a public use interface to ISE outside of NDA
> restrictions" is clearly prohibited.

Thanks Austin for making this clear. You mentioned that Xilinx
provides
exemptions to university projects. There is significant documentation
be gleaned from various published works which are easily located with
google. Most of these appear to be university sources.

Can we assume that source code, VDL files, papers, and instructional
materials which describe VDL and related interfaces are approved
disclosures by Xilinx that open source can freely use to develop
open source tools in support of Xilinx customers?

John

From: Austin Lesea on
John,

No, you can not assume anything. In fact, I think you (personally)
should talk to our legal department, and reach an agreement.

Austin

From: Austin Lesea on
Jan,

Xilinx restricts the use of the bitstream to only be used with its products.

In that sense, we retain "ownership." I am not a lawyer, so I can't
speak or quote legalize. What I placed in quotes was from a lawyer.

They do not make typos.

I might.

Austin

From: Austin Lesea on
Correction:

See I can make typos...

Austin

> In that sense, we retain "ownership." I am not a lawyer, so I can't
> speak or quote legalize. What I placed in quotes

IN MY PREVIOUS POSTING

From: Ed McGettigan on
Jim Granville wrote:
> Jan Panteltje wrote:
>> On a sunny day (Mon, 30 Jan 2006 09:50:46 -0800) it happened Austin Lesea
>> <austin(a)xilinx.com> wrote in <drljlm$3ls1(a)xco-news.xilinx.com>:
>>

>>> All:
>>>
>>> From our legal group-
>>

>>> Also, the bitstream created by using Xilinx software is owned
>>> by Xilinx can only be used on Xilinx programmable products, for example,
>>> FPGAs.
>
> Hmm, yes, not everyone will agree to that claim...
>

>> This looks like a rather dangerous typo, I presume you wanted to write:
>>
>> "the bitstream format as generated by Xilinx software "
>> You do not claim rights to the content of my bitstream I hope?
>
> Of course they do!
> These are lawyers, they claim all rights possible, until someone
> pushes back. That's how they work.
>
> I _can_ sense an opening here, for the (A) company that claims
> to be "the fastest growing major programmable logic company in 2005"
>
> -jg

The (A) company used these exact same EULA restrictions against Clear Logic
and won.

More details here: http://www.internetcases.com/archives/2005/09/ninth_circuit_a_1.html

Ed
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last