From: Ed McGettigan on
Ed McGettigan wrote:

> The previous link that I cited only discussed a narrow issue that
> was raised to an appellate court. Try this one instead which has
> notes on the on the Software License Agreement. Altera was not
> claiming that they "owned" the bitstream only that use of the
> bitstream was restricted to Altera only devices by the license of
> the software that created it.
>
> http://www.iplawobserver.com/2005/09/using-softwares-output-to-copy-chips.html

One more link that which is the actual ruling made by the US Court of Appeals
for the 9th Circuit:

http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/ca9/newopinions.nsf/01512427B6AF4BF88825707C0076B4A3/$file/0317323.pdf?openelement

The first half discusses the mask claims, the latter half discusses the SW License
claims on pages 17-23. Specifically on the bottom of page 23 the court found:

Altera customers cannot use the software, and
therefore create the bitstreams, without agreeing to the licensing
agreement, including the permitted use restriction. In
essence, a valid contract is a prerequisite to the creation of a
bitstream from Altera software, and the jury could logically
conclude that valid contracts were formed via the Altera
licensing agreements before customers sent bitstreams to
Clear Logic. We therefore affirm the district court?s denial of
judgment (sic) as a matter of law on the final claim.

Maybe we could now move any further legal oriented threads to comp.arch.fpga.legal :-)
and get back to technical issues and discussions. I know at least that this will
be my last post on this thread and the XDL/Open Source License threads.

Ed
--
Xilinx Inc.
From: fpga_toys on

Ed McGettigan wrote:
> Altera customers cannot use the software, and
> therefore create the bitstreams, without agreeing to the licensing
> agreement, including the permitted use restriction. In
> essence, a valid contract is a prerequisite to the creation of a
> bitstream from Altera software, and the jury could logically
> conclude that valid contracts were formed via the Altera
> licensing agreements before customers sent bitstreams to
> Clear Logic. We therefore affirm the district court's denial of
> judgment (sic) as a matter of law on the final claim.
>
> Maybe we could now move any further legal oriented threads to comp.arch.fpga.legal :-)
> and get back to technical issues and discussions. I know at least that this will
> be my last post on this thread and the XDL/Open Source License threads.

Thanks for the clearification Ed, and the small dose of contract law is
good
for everyone to keep them out of the defendants chair and having to
learn
a whole lot more. This statement about the enforcability of an EULA
contract
terms should be a wake up call to those that haven't thought these
issues
thru.

In summary, the EULA contract NDA supercedes all other rights you might
have to similar information in other settings. The confusion this week
over the
concepts of copyright fair use while under NDA, over contridictory
statements
about the open nature of VDL, and other rights issues have all been
useful
to learn and think about so we can protect ourselves and the IP we
agree to
use.

Hopefully it's also been a learning exercise for Xilinx too. The real
economic
value for Xilinx is the sale of it's chips, and at some point open
source access
to the tool chain will greatly benefit the companies sales by expanding
uses
into new markets that the existing tool chain doesn't support.
Certainly easy
access to Xilinx product for personal research by students and
hobbiests is
a market builder that yields long term benefits as those individuals
influence
purchasing decisions for their employers and the companies they own.

From: Eric Smith on
Austin Lesea <austin(a)xilinx.com> writes:
> There is nothing "open source" about any of Xilinx's software.

Then why did the installer made me agree to the GPL and LGPL? I thought
it was because Xilinx's software (ISE Foundation) included some open
source software.

From: Simon Peacock on
Actually.. yes.. if you look at the output files .. you will see it
detecting and replacing counters, comparators, state machines, ram etc.

Simon

From: David Brown on
DJ Delorie wrote:
> [disclaimer: I'm a GCC developer and former Cygwin developer]
>
> One key difference between Cygwin and Xilinx, is that apps built with
> Cygwin also *include* part of cygwin (almost verbatim) in the
> resulting binary. Do bitstreams built by Xilinx tools *include*
> portions of the Xilinx tools in the resulting bitstream? Can Xilinx
> point to a bitstream and say "these 1000 bits are copied from our
> library" ?
>
> A better comparison is comparing Xilinx to GCC. The GCC license
> explicitly states that binaries built *with* GCC are not affected in
> any way by GCC's license.

That is not quite entirely true - binaries build with gcc *are* affected
by gcc's licenses. In particular, patterns of assembly code generated
by gcc are generated verbatim from gcc's source code (or in some cases,
gcc's low-level libraries' source code), and these sections are
therefore directly affected by gcc's licenses and copyrights. There
main license for gcc's source code is GPL, but there are explicitly
stated exceptions to remove all restrictions and copyright assignments
from the generated code, precisely so that you can do as you will with
gcc-generated binaries.

If Xilinx' tools also have such verbatim copying through to the
generated bitstreams, and they do not have such stated exceptions, then
they are in a position (in my interpretation - IANAL) to claim joint
copyright ownership of the bitstream.

> Note that binaries built *from* GCC (derived works) are a different
> story. GCC's runtime libraries have a specific clause that covers
> linking; if you build with GCC, linking doesn't incur the GPL. If you
> build with something else, linking does incur the GPL.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Prev: porting linux on ml403
Next: BPSK modulation on Xilinx FPGA