From: Austin Lesea on
cs,

Going from "using XDL" for some unspecified reason, to "open source" is
a big step. Too big.

There is nothing "open source" about any of Xilinx's software.

Right now, the discussion has been about an ASCII representation of
connections that Xilinx developed as a convenience (replaced an earlier
format).

XDL's use is only restricted by the agreements on the software that
created it, and uses it (that we supply). It also specifically allows
uses (for which it is intended) like someone writes a parser to generate
a nice report from the XDL file (noted in the comments on XDL in our
documentation).

If you chose XDL to use as your intermediate language for your CS111
FPGA, I think it would be a curious choice, but one we would not have
much claim to, as if you had your own tools to create it, and use it,
test it; and you never used our tools, IP, or patents, why would we care?

Austin

From: cs_posting on
Austin Lesea wrote:

> Going from "using XDL" for some unspecified reason, to "open source" is
> a big step. Too big.

For you perhaps, but open source code under a freedom-preserving
license is perhaps the most likely variety of tool that volunteers
might develop. The other alternative, closed software developed by
those who hope to sell seats, and will license what they need from you,
seems more in your comfort zone to date.

> There is nothing "open source" about any of Xilinx's software.

That's not what we're talking about, though I seem to recall some
cygwin-ish files floating around in the install - but let's call that
off topic.

> Right now, the discussion has been about an ASCII representation of
> connections that Xilinx developed as a convenience (replaced an earlier
> format).

Which if half of your comments are to believed is too encumbered to be
of any use outside a private or closed source tool - or if the other
half are to be believed, is available and harmless.

> XDL's use is only restricted by the agreements on the software that
> created it, and uses it (that we supply). It also specifically allows
> uses (for which it is intended) like someone writes a parser to generate
> a nice report from the XDL file (noted in the comments on XDL in our
> documentation).

Yes, but someone else can take that parser and use it as a starting
point for something like reverse engineering. Unless the license terms
_of the parser_ prevent that. But if they do, then parser (despite not
being Xilinx software) is not a free and open tool.

> If you chose XDL to use as your intermediate language for your CS111
> FPGA, I think it would be a curious choice, but one we would not have
> much claim to, as if you had your own tools to create it, and use it,
> test it; and you never used our tools, IP, or patents, why would we care?

If it really talks the same XDL you do, then someone can use it as a
bridge between a new language and your silicon (which you would like)
or between your tools and someone else's silicon. The later would
allegedly be a violation of your license terms, but not of the license
terms of the proposed XDL tool - unless the XDL tool is not a free and
open piece of software.

If the proposed XDL tool is not a free and open piece of software, then
some of the participants in this discussion aren't interested in
writing it. We could have a whole other discussion about why, but the
obvious reason is that it's too big a project to be worthwhile without
input from many sources and the justification of many users.

From: fpga_toys on

Austin Lesea wrote:
> Going from "using XDL" for some unspecified reason, to "open source" is
> a big step. Too big.
>
> There is nothing "open source" about any of Xilinx's software.

This is the companies right, no matter how much we object. There has
to be a business decision that open source is in the companies best
interests ... which is where talking about this and lobbying might be
of use.

> Right now, the discussion has been about an ASCII representation of
> connections that Xilinx developed as a convenience (replaced an earlier
> format).

Until a document shows up on the public web site, with equiv data to
the
XNF specifications ... file format and object definitions, it's a
closed
proprietary standard, that requires violating the ISE EULA NDA to make
public any use of it.

> XDL's use is only restricted by the agreements on the software that
> created it, and uses it (that we supply). It also specifically allows
> uses (for which it is intended) like someone writes a parser to generate
> a nice report from the XDL file (noted in the comments on XDL in our
> documentation).

*IF* there were a public document like the XNF spec, this statement
would
be true. Today it is false, as no one has been able to find such a
public
document yet.

> If you chose XDL to use as your intermediate language for your CS111
> FPGA, I think it would be a curious choice, but one we would not have
> much claim to, as if you had your own tools to create it, and use it,
> test it; and you never used our tools, IP, or patents, why would we care?

With a public XDL format and library objects document, this is exactly
what we hope for.

From: cs_posting on
John Williams wrote:

> What you've now created is a hybrid license, incompatible with the pure
> GPL (ok, so you can't host it on sourceforge, no big deal). If someone
> uses the tool to target an Altera part, then they are breaking the
> conditions of their license and it is therefore immediately revoked.
>
> You would add a viral clause which makes sure that further refinements
> of the tool are also covered by the same dual condition (GPL + Xilinx only).

But what if someone figures out XDL by reverse engineering your tool,
rather than Xilinx's software? How do you prohibit someone from
reverse engineering (ie, reading and taking notes) open code?

From: John Williams on
cs_posting(a)hotmail.com wrote:

> John Williams wrote:
>

>>What you've now created is a hybrid license, incompatible with the pure
>>GPL (ok, so you can't host it on sourceforge, no big deal). If someone
>>uses the tool to target an Altera part, then they are breaking the
>>conditions of their license and it is therefore immediately revoked.
>>
>>You would add a viral clause which makes sure that further refinements
>>of the tool are also covered by the same dual condition (GPL + Xilinx only).
>

> But what if someone figures out XDL by reverse engineering your tool,
> rather than Xilinx's software? How do you prohibit someone from
> reverse engineering (ie, reading and taking notes) open code?

I don't know. Maybe it doesn't matter. The purpose of "though shalt
only target Xilinx parts" is to keep Xilinx off your back. If someone
reads your code and reimplements the XDL parser for Evil, instead of
Good, maybe it's Xilinx problem to pursue, and not yours?

John

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Prev: porting linux on ml403