From: Antti Lukats on
as more and more customers are getting their Sample Packs so I decided to
pre release the standalone programming utility for the board, available for
immediate download

http://xilant.com/component/option,com_remository/Itemid,53/func,fileinfo/id,8/

this has fully working base functionality for FPGA config and Flash
programming.

both for FPGA and Flash there is no need to worry about startup clock
and for flash there is also no need to invoke and promgen or anything

same .BIT files can be used for FPGA and Flash, the startup clock
is automatically fixed to either JTAG of CCLK and the preparation
for flash is also automatic startup clock auto-fix is now also supported
in compressed bitstream (CRC is properly recalculated)

only Cable III is supported for the moment, next releases may have
wider hardware support included

I have tried hard to also test out Xilinx suggested Flash programming for
the
sample pack (EDK, XMD, flashwriter.tcl) - I have failed so far, also
completly
failed have all attempts to use universal scan for the flash programming.

nahitafu is using MITOU JTAG tool for flash programming of the sample pack
but as that tool is not free and has no eval so our Flash programming
utility
for the Sample Pack is the first freely available and proven working
solution
to reflash the strataflash on the Sample Pack board.

the base functionality of the tool is FREE of charge, there is no
registration
required, just download unzip and get start

--
Antti Lukats
http://www.xilant.com

From: Antti Lukats on
[snip]
> nahitafu is using MITOU JTAG tool for flash programming of the sample pack
> but as that tool is not free and has no eval so our Flash programming
> utility for the Sample Pack is the first freely available and proven
> working solution to reflash the strataflash on the Sample Pack board.
>
> the base functionality of the tool is FREE of charge, there is no
> registration required, just download unzip and get start

I just received a bit angry email from Nahitafu about my nonpolite wording
about their products, so here is goes public appology to Nahitech, sorry !

additional info from Nahiteh: There will be no MITOUJTAG trial or
evaluation versions available over internet, but a free evaluation of
MITOUJTAG is offered for those who attend one of the upcoming
trade shows in Japan.
http://www.reedexpo.co.jp/inj/english/
there will be MITOUJTAG eval available, I wish I could go
my 3 days visit to Tokyo is one of my best memories of all my travels.

Sorry, Nahitafu - I did not mean to say bad about yours products
I just think they are getting too little exposure in non-japanese
speaking world.

http://www.nahitech.com/jtag/basicv.html

I dont find any english description any more, it used to be online
also a evaluation version was available, what I have tested and
it worked - the commercial version of MITOUJTAG is most
likely much better than the very old version what was available
as free version.

Antti

From: Uwe Bonnes on
Antti Lukats <antti(a)openchip.org> wrote:

> I dont find any english description any more, it used to be online
> also a evaluation version was available, what I have tested and
> it worked - the commercial version of MITOUJTAG is most
> likely much better than the very old version what was available
> as free version.

Missing english documents make MITOUJTAG hard to use...

--
Uwe Bonnes bon(a)elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de

Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt
From: Uwe Bonnes on
Antti Lukats <antti(a)openchip.org> wrote:
> as more and more customers are getting their Sample Packs so I decided to
> pre release the standalone programming utility for the board, available for
> immediate download

> http://xilant.com/component/option,com_remository/Itemid,53/func,fileinfo/id,8/

> this has fully working base functionality for FPGA config and Flash
> programming.

> both for FPGA and Flash there is no need to worry about startup clock
> and for flash there is also no need to invoke and promgen or anything

> same .BIT files can be used for FPGA and Flash, the startup clock
> is automatically fixed to either JTAG of CCLK and the preparation
> for flash is also automatic startup clock auto-fix is now also supported
> in compressed bitstream (CRC is properly recalculated)

> only Cable III is supported for the moment, next releases may have
> wider hardware support included

Probably most of the Flash programming is already available in jtagtools:

http://blackfin.uclinux.org/projects/jtagtools/

From: Antti Lukats on
"Uwe Bonnes" <bon(a)hertz.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Antti Lukats <antti(a)openchip.org> wrote:
>> as more and more customers are getting their Sample Packs so I decided to
>> pre release the standalone programming utility for the board, available
>> for
>> immediate download
>
>> http://xilant.com/component/option,com_remository/Itemid,53/func,fileinfo/id,8/
>
>> this has fully working base functionality for FPGA config and Flash
>> programming.
>
>> both for FPGA and Flash there is no need to worry about startup clock
>> and for flash there is also no need to invoke and promgen or anything
>
>> same .BIT files can be used for FPGA and Flash, the startup clock
>> is automatically fixed to either JTAG of CCLK and the preparation
>> for flash is also automatic startup clock auto-fix is now also supported
>> in compressed bitstream (CRC is properly recalculated)
>
>> only Cable III is supported for the moment, next releases may have
>> wider hardware support included
>
> Probably most of the Flash programming is already available in jtagtools:
>
> http://blackfin.uclinux.org/projects/jtagtools/

defenetly not.

the sample pack utility takes care of many aspects, namly in order to
load the FPGA with flash programming IP core it may be required to
set the Flash into read status mode, then trigger reconfig in parallel
mode what is not seeing the signature - this will allow the JTAG
port to be used to configure the FPGA. After that the flash-programming
ip core can be used.

if config signature is seen by FPGA at close proximity of where the
parallal mode config starts then some tools like Impact, etc are
not anymore able to configure the PFGA unless the config mode
is changed away from BPI and power cycled.

things like that are defenetly not handled by blackfin tools.
they are also not handled by Impact or any other tool

Antti