From: Paul Russell on
Bonge Boo wrote:

> Paul Russell wrote:
>
>> Bonge Boo wrote:

>>> Hang on...
>>>
>>> CPU1 Inlet 37C
>>> CPU1 Ambient 45C
>>> CPU1 Internal 48C
>>> CPU2 Inlet 31C
>>> CPU2 Ambient 39C
>>> CPU2 Internal 55C
>>>
>>> System Controller and memory seems hottest at 57C

>>> Sitting on the top of a trolley with nothing obstructing front or
>>> back vents. It does have a big fax machine sitting on it. Do they
>>> dissipate much through the top case?
>>>
>>> The load on it should be pretty minimal. Small file serving, DNS,
>>> DHCP and Mail.
>>>
>>> What sort of fan speeds are typical?
>>

>> On my G5 Xserve here, most of the fans are at around 4k rpm, except
>> the system controller fan, which is at around 5.5k. Highest temp is
>> system controller internal, at 49 C.
>

> IS yours a dual? This ones a Dual 2.3Ghz with 2Gb RAM, and 3 internal
> drives. Stacked basically. More watts to dissipate?

Yes, dual G5 @ 2.3 GHz, 3 drives, 6 Gb RAM, Tiger Server.

I think I'd try takign the fax machine off the top if I were you - it's
not really designed to support weight. Also I bought four chunky stick
on feet for mine - helps the air flow underneath and also reduces the
noise transmitted through the surface that it sits on, which otherwise
tends to act like a sounding board.

Paul
From: Graham J Lee on
On 5/9/06 21:02, Bonge Boo wrote:
> Graham J Lee wrote:
>> On 5/9/06 18:25, Bonge Boo wrote:
>>> Anyone got an Xserve they can login to?
>>>
>>> What fan speeds have you got? I've got an incredibly noisy one, all
>>> fans bar PCI are on 12,000rpm. I can't get the bloody thing to shut up.
>>>
>>> Nothing showing up in top that's eating cycles...
>> So what are the various temperatures and voltage or current readings?
>
> Hang on...
>
> CPU1 Inlet 37C
> CPU1 Ambient 45C
> CPU1 Internal 48C
> CPU2 Inlet 31C
> CPU2 Ambient 39C
> CPU2 Internal 55C
>
> System Controller and memory seems hottest at 57C

OK, I'm seeing CPU Ambient temps of 24/23, and Internal of 50/45.
Memory is 52, PCI 50, Controller is 49 so yours *is* running hot; I'm
only measuring one of my Xserves, but it's one I'm stressing by
NetRestoring from it over NFS to an entire lab. My other is much cooler.

For comparison, the fan speeds on that hotter machine are all ~5400rpm,
except SysController (7200) and PCI slot (5700). Yours is, indeed,
going mad.

>> What kind of environment is it in?
>
> Sitting on the top of a trolley with nothing obstructing front or back
> vents. It does have a big fax machine sitting on it. Do they dissipate
> much through the top case?

"On top of a trolley" and "big fax machine sitting on it" suggests it's
not in a rack, there's definitely no airflow over or under the machine
and nothing driving air around it at all...apart from the fans driving
air through. Perhaps you missed the bit on p21 of TFM where it says "To
ensure safe and smooth operation of your server, it's essential that you
plan for proper location of the server in its rack, adequate power to
the components in the rack, and the appropriate operating environment
for the rack"?
From: Bonge Boo on
Graham J Lee wrote:
> On 5/9/06 21:02, Bonge Boo wrote:
>> Graham J Lee wrote:

>>> So what are the various temperatures and voltage or current readings?
>>
>> Hang on...
>>
>> CPU1 Inlet 37C
>> CPU1 Ambient 45C
>> CPU1 Internal 48C
>> CPU2 Inlet 31C
>> CPU2 Ambient 39C
>> CPU2 Internal 55C
>>
>> System Controller and memory seems hottest at 57C
>>

> OK, I'm seeing CPU Ambient temps of 24/23, and Internal of 50/45. Memory
> is 52, PCI 50, Controller is 49 so yours *is* running hot; I'm only
> measuring one of my Xserves, but it's one I'm stressing by NetRestoring
> from it over NFS to an entire lab. My other is much cooler.
>
> For comparison, the fan speeds on that hotter machine are all ~5400rpm,
> except SysController (7200) and PCI slot (5700). Yours is, indeed,
> going mad.
>
>>> What kind of environment is it in?
>>
>> Sitting on the top of a trolley with nothing obstructing front or back
>> vents. It does have a big fax machine sitting on it. Do they dissipate
>> much through the top case?
>>

> "On top of a trolley" and "big fax machine sitting on it" suggests it's
> not in a rack, there's definitely no airflow over or under the machine
> and nothing driving air around it at all...apart from the fans driving
> air through. Perhaps you missed the bit on p21 of TFM where it says "To
> ensure safe and smooth operation of your server, it's essential that you
> plan for proper location of the server in its rack, adequate power to
> the components in the rack, and the appropriate operating environment
> for the rack"?

There is no location to put a rack in. The only possible place for it is
where it is. Whilst I'd love to sell them a rack for the Xserve, a 1U
rack just ain't possible. So we're saying that it requires sufficient
airflow over he surface of the case, not just through the intakes?

Paul, it your's racked?
From: Chris Ridd on
On 2006-09-06 18:16:46 +0100, Bonge Boo <bingbong(a)spamcop.net> said:

> There is no location to put a rack in. The only possible place for it
> is where it is. Whilst I'd love to sell them a rack for the Xserve, a
> 1U rack just ain't possible. So we're saying that it requires
> sufficient airflow over he surface of the case, not just through the
> intakes?

What's the point of buying an Xserve if you aren't going to put it in a rack??

Cheers,

Chris

From: Paul Russell on
Bonge Boo wrote:

> Graham J Lee wrote:

>>> Hang on...
>>>
>>> CPU1 Inlet 37C
>>> CPU1 Ambient 45C
>>> CPU1 Internal 48C
>>> CPU2 Inlet 31C
>>> CPU2 Ambient 39C
>>> CPU2 Internal 55C
>>>
>>> System Controller and memory seems hottest at 57C
>>>

>> OK, I'm seeing CPU Ambient temps of 24/23, and Internal of 50/45.
>> Memory is 52, PCI 50, Controller is 49 so yours *is* running hot; I'm
>> only measuring one of my Xserves, but it's one I'm stressing by
>> NetRestoring from it over NFS to an entire lab. My other is much cooler.
>>
>> For comparison, the fan speeds on that hotter machine are all
>> ~5400rpm, except SysController (7200) and PCI slot (5700). Yours is,
>> indeed, going mad.

>>> Sitting on the top of a trolley with nothing obstructing front or
>>> back vents. It does have a big fax machine sitting on it. Do they
>>> dissipate much through the top case?
>>>

>> "On top of a trolley" and "big fax machine sitting on it" suggests
>> it's not in a rack, there's definitely no airflow over or under the
>> machine and nothing driving air around it at all...apart from the fans
>> driving air through. Perhaps you missed the bit on p21 of TFM where
>> it says "To ensure safe and smooth operation of your server, it's
>> essential that you plan for proper location of the server in its rack,
>> adequate power to the components in the rack, and the appropriate
>> operating environment for the rack"?
>

> There is no location to put a rack in. The only possible place for it is
> where it is. Whilst I'd love to sell them a rack for the Xserve, a 1U
> rack just ain't possible. So we're saying that it requires sufficient
> airflow over he surface of the case, not just through the intakes?
>
> Paul, it your's racked?

Mine's not racked but, as I mentioned earlier, I put some stick-on feet
on the bottom to raise it off the shelf that it sits on, which helps
with air flow and also helps to reduce the "sounding board" effect.
There is also nothing else on top of it, so it gets reasonable air flow,
both top and bottom.

Paul