From: John Pollard on
Gary wrote:
> On 2010-05-14 08:04:21 -0400, "Andrew" <andrew(a)jkl.com> said:
>
>> Gary wrote:
>>> I'd like to look at yield in some Quicken reports. By yield I mean
>>> the amount of income the investment is producing, either as a dollar
>>> figure or as a percent of the market value of the investment.
>>>
>>> I've tried several variables that don't seem to have values. Does
>>> anyone know of a variable or a report that will show me the
>>> investment yield?
>>
>> I am sure I am missing something, but in the INVESTMENT PERFORMANCE
>> report under the INVESTING report category, what is wrong with the
>> 'Average Annual Return' that it purports to provide?

> You're not missing something, Quicken is. At least on my report, the
> whole column is blank (where, in fact, there has been income).

I have no idea what the problem is, just a couple of comments related to
what I've read so far - the meaning of which, I am not completely clear.

Offhand, I can't think of any report where you would find a blank column
(if the column data was optional, and not selected ... there would be no
"column" to be blank - the column would be "missing"); nor any report
where a column normally contained amounts ... and the heading was present
but amounts were blank (when an amount is zero, it's displayed as 0.00, or
0 when rounding is selected). But you can eliminate entire columns from
the Investment > Performance report, including the Returns and Average
Annual Returns column (see the Display tab in the Customize dialog).

I have seen some investment reports where entire *rows* are blank ... this
can happen when a non-investment account has been changed so it appears in
the "Investing" group of accounts (a savings account, perhaps, that one
wants to treat as an investment), and that account is included in some
investment reports. If such an investment report selected only those
non-investment accounts, it might produce something fairly baffling to
view.

I also don't think any "Reports" menu report uses "estimated income".

--

John Pollard
Your source of user-to-user Quicken help

From: Zaidy036 on
In article <hsnj2g$6lr$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, 8plus7isf(a)gmail.com
says...

> Gary wrote:
<snip>

Using Q2008 Premier I just ran an Investment Performance Report and it looked
just like yours.

The first entry is Beg Mkt Val and the last is End Mkt Val followed by a total
line with AAR ONLY in that line.

Therefor it is a calculation over the time period of the report and not for
each "Return" item date shown.
From: John Pollard on
Gary wrote:
> Well, I discovered I have over 50 placeholders. Must of them are
> under the radar (e.g., 0.0001 shares). If the balance doesn't match,
> adjust it. And there may even be a few mistakes in there. In most
> cases I just need to go through the work of re-entering historical
> transactions of minimal amounts to get rid of the placeholders ...
> either that or tolerate the warning on the Investment Performance
> report.

One caution: any transaction that is "linked" (my term) to a placeholder
will never be able to affect the cash balance in the account.

If one is trying to get holdings current without having to worry about
where the cash came from for things like Buy transactions, being able to
enter transactions that do not affect cash may be a good thing.

But if the intent is to have every transaction entered correctly,
including the source of the cash used for Buy transactions, allowing a
transaction to become linked to a placeholder is not necessary, will be
sort-of self defeating, and manages to confuse a lot of users.

Once a transaction becomes linked to a placeholder (you can tell when one
is: it will have "N/A" in the Cash Amt column), it will *never* have any
effect on the cash balance of the account ... even if you delete the
placeholder to which it is linked.

So if the desire is to eliminate all placeholders and all placeholder
effects; first you must delete the placeholders, then you must delete
their linked transactions, then re-enter the linked transactions. Not a
fun prospect.

On the other hand, if your actual transactions are correct (so each
placeholder has an adjustment of zero shares), it may not be necessary to
delete the placeholders. I suspect the warnings will still appear in
reports (though I have not verified this), but if you know your historical
transactions are correct, I would think you could ignore the placeholder
warnings in reports (I haven't verified that either).