From: Dave on
After promoting our server (Windows 2003) to a domain controller, we are
no longer able to log into Terminal Services with any user other than
the domain administrator account. We have tried adding other users to
all the AD admin groups, and they still cannot access it. They receive
the message "you do not have access to logon to this session". I have
checked Terminal services manager, and all connections are cleared when
they try to login. I have set all AD policies regarding "Log on locally"
etc. to "undefined" with no success. I have also tried defining these
policies, and explicitly adding these users with no success. I have
tried editing the policies at the domain level, the domain controllers
OU, and the users` OU. After each change in policy, I`ve run the
gpupdate command. I have also tried rebooting the server. When I right
click on "My Computer" on this server, and select "Properties" and then
"Remote", the Select Remote Users button is grayed out. However, the
checkbox to allow users to access the machine remotely is checked. I
have verified that the users password is (very) complex, using over 12
digits and using letters, numbers, and characters. The "Allow logon to
Terminal Server" is checked in the users` properties.
Is this by design? Is the Administrator account the only account that
can log in remotely on a Windows 2003 domain controller? Unfortunately,
I have had to resort to demoting this server back to a member server for
the time being.
Please help.

From: Vera Noest [MVP] on
You have to explicitly give the users the right to "Log on
Locally", in your Domain Controller Security Policy.

I assume that you know that this setup is *not* recommended?
A Terminal Server is a multi-user workstation. Apart from potential
performance problems (a Terminal Server is internally tuned
differently), you are risking the stability and security of your
Domain Controller.
Imagine all of your users working at the physical console of the
server and using it as their personal workstation, simultaneously.
Do you really want them to do that on your Domain Controller?

Vera Noest
TS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net
___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___

Dave <take(a)friggin.guess> wrote on 31 aug 2005 in
microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services:

From: Dave on
Vera Noest [MVP] wrote:

> You have to explicitly give the users the right to "Log on
> Locally", in your Domain Controller Security Policy.

I have already set this in the domain controllers policy, both at the OU
level (AD Users and Computers, <domain name>, Domain Controllers
properties, Group Policy object) and at the domain controller machine
level (MMC Group Policy snap-in, Local Computer). Is there somewhere
else I need to check for this?

> I assume that you know that this setup is *not* recommended?
> A Terminal Server is a multi-user workstation. Apart from

<snip>

Yes I am aware. We need a seperate user to be able to log into the
machine and have administrative access, but not have domain level
administrative access. MMC`s will not do the trick.

From: Vera Noest [MVP] on
Dave <take(a)friggin.guess> wrote on 31 aug 2005 in
microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services:

> Vera Noest [MVP] wrote:
>
>> You have to explicitly give the users the right to "Log on
>> Locally", in your Domain Controller Security Policy.
>>
> I have already set this in the domain controllers policy, both
> at the OU level (AD Users and Computers, <domain name>, Domain
> Controllers properties, Group Policy object) and at the domain
> controller machine level (MMC Group Policy snap-in, Local
> Computer). Is there somewhere else I need to check for this?

No.
The user is not trying to connect to the console session, is he?
Because that is impossible for non-Administrators on a DC.

From: Dave on
Vera Noest [MVP] wrote:
> Dave <take(a)friggin.guess> wrote on 31 aug 2005 in
> microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services:
>

>>Vera Noest [MVP] wrote:
>>

>>>You have to explicitly give the users the right to "Log on
>>>Locally", in your Domain Controller Security Policy.
>>>

>>I have already set this in the domain controllers policy, both
>>at the OU level (AD Users and Computers, <domain name>, Domain
>>Controllers properties, Group Policy object) and at the domain
>>controller machine level (MMC Group Policy snap-in, Local
>>Computer). Is there somewhere else I need to check for this?
>

> No.
> The user is not trying to connect to the console session, is he?
> Because that is impossible for non-Administrators on a DC.

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by this? Do you mean is he
trying to log onto the machine via terminal services as the same user
that is logged in at the console? Right now, noone is logged in at the
machine console.