From: Isaac Gouy on

Henry Bigelow wrote:
> Juho Snellman wrote:
-snip-

> > > p.s. what would you say to changing the shootout such that multiple
> > > programs can be submitted, and the results shown based on whatever
> > > selection criteria wanted?
> >
> > Sounds like a horrible idea. You want *more* crappy programs for
> > people to whine about? :-)
>
> yes! :)

Multiple programs can be submitted, and the results for all those
programs are shown. Occasionally we go through and throw-out slower
programs (unless they seem interesting).

And then there's "FAQ: Who's working on similar projects?"
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/faq.php#similar

From: Jon Harrop on
Henry Bigelow wrote:
> hi mr. harrop! i was surprised to see your post over here on c.l.l!
> did you start on lisp before o'caml?

I started on SML and moved to OCaml. Then I toyed with some of the other
FPLs, including Lisp.

> so, is that shootout the best one
> available, despite the grim lifecycle descriptions?

Yes, AFAIK.

> from your and juho's descriptions, the owners sound a bit deceitful!

Only Isaac Gouy has tried to deceive people, AFAIK.

I have two fundamental disagreements with the shootout:

1. Benchmarks should be a function of a non-trivial input to obviate
arbitrary precomputation, e.g. computing the digits of pi is a stupid
benchmark.

2. Program selection should be objective to evade any notion of "cheating",
e.g. see the "Note"s in binary-trees.

If I were to create a shootout, I would use benchmarks with variable inputs
and I would try to remove all subjective criteria.

For example, to test the performance and implementation of balanced binary
trees in different languages I would try to define a benchmark that was
best solved using such trees, rather than trying to force programmers to
use trees. This might be something like: "use the given random number
generator with seed "x" to generate "n" sets of "m" random numbers in
different ranges and then compute the intersection of the sets,
with "x", "n" and "m" given on the command line". (When the overlap of two
sets is small, set-theoretic operations are faster with trees than with
hash tables.)

Unfortunately, my constructive criticisms fell on one of Isaac's deaf
ears. ;-)

Objective CAML for Scientists
From: Isaac Gouy on

Jon Harrop wrote:
> Henry Bigelow wrote:
> > hi mr. harrop! i was surprised to see your post over here on c.l.l!
> > did you start on lisp before o'caml?
>
> I started on SML and moved to OCaml. Then I toyed with some of the other
> FPLs, including Lisp.
>
> > so, is that shootout the best one
> > available, despite the grim lifecycle descriptions?
>
> Yes, AFAIK.
>
> > from your and juho's descriptions, the owners sound a bit deceitful!
>
> Only Isaac Gouy has tried to deceive people, AFAIK.

That is no more than malicious personal abuse - you contributed similar
baseless personal attacks to the shootout mailing-list.

> I have two fundamental disagreements with the shootout:
>
> 1. Benchmarks should be a function of a non-trivial input to obviate
> arbitrary precomputation, e.g. computing the digits of pi is a stupid
> benchmark.
>
> 2. Program selection should be objective to evade any notion of "cheating",
> e.g. see the "Note"s in binary-trees.
>
> If I were to create a shootout, I would use benchmarks with variable inputs
> and I would try to remove all subjective criteria.
>
> For example, to test the performance and implementation of balanced binary
> trees in different languages I would try to define a benchmark that was
> best solved using such trees, rather than trying to force programmers to
> use trees. This might be something like: "use the given random number
> generator with seed "x" to generate "n" sets of "m" random numbers in
> different ranges and then compute the intersection of the sets,
> with "x", "n" and "m" given on the command line". (When the overlap of two
> sets is small, set-theoretic operations are faster with trees than with
> hash tables.)
>
> Unfortunately, my constructive criticisms fell on one of Isaac's deaf
> ears. ;-)

I heard them the first and second time, but stopped listening as they
were repeated month after month.

Jack Andrews created "The shootin" partly in response to criticisms of
the shootout. I think it's sad that in the past year you haven't taken
the opportunity to be constructive and contribute to "The shootin".

http://shootin.sourceforge.net/

From: Henry Bigelow on

Isaac Gouy wrote:
> Henry Bigelow wrote:
> > Juho Snellman wrote:
> -snip-

> > > Sounds like a horrible idea. You want *more* crappy programs for
> > > people to whine about? :-)
> >
> > yes! :)
>
> Multiple programs can be submitted, and the results for all those
> programs are shown. Occasionally we go through and throw-out slower
> programs (unless they seem interesting).

hi isaac,
thanks for your reply. and thanks especially for maintaining the
shootout. it was a very enlightening day when i first came across it a
few years ago.

i think the territory of benchmarks and contests is unavoidably
contentious. and in some ways this is a positive thing. (although in
others, unfortunately, negative)

to mitigate the frustration of having a benchmark deleted, (even if it
becomes invalid due to a change in requirements), would you consider a
CVS tree, one for each benchmark/language combination? or would that
be impractical?

the branches or leaves could be labeled by benchmark criteria, and
whether they satisfy it, and the running statistics, and possibly even
the version of the compiler that compiled it. that way, it would be
plain to everyone who wants to know whether a given version was
producing the correct output, and in certain cases, what tweaks made
something run faster. that would be interesting to me at least.

of course, it would have the drawback of accumulating 'dead' leaves,
maybe even spam. depending on how prevalent it was, i suppose this
approach would become impractical. i don't know.

also, i feel the concept of a shootout and shootin are orthgonal. i'd
be interested to follow the development of both.

thanks in advance,

henry

From: Isaac Gouy on

Henry Bigelow wrote:
> Isaac Gouy wrote:
> > Henry Bigelow wrote:
> > > Juho Snellman wrote:
> > -snip-

> > > yes! :)
> >
> > Multiple programs can be submitted, and the results for all those
> > programs are shown. Occasionally we go through and throw-out slower
> > programs (unless they seem interesting).
>
> hi isaac,
> thanks for your reply. and thanks especially for maintaining the
> shootout. it was a very enlightening day when i first came across it a
> few years ago.
>
> i think the territory of benchmarks and contests is unavoidably
> contentious. and in some ways this is a positive thing. (although in
> others, unfortunately, negative)
>
> to mitigate the frustration of having a benchmark deleted, (even if it
> becomes invalid due to a change in requirements), would you consider a
> CVS tree, one for each benchmark/language combination? or would that
> be impractical?
>
> the branches or leaves could be labeled by benchmark criteria, and
> whether they satisfy it, and the running statistics, and possibly even
> the version of the compiler that compiled it. that way, it would be
> plain to everyone who wants to know whether a given version was
> producing the correct output, and in certain cases, what tweaks made
> something run faster. that would be interesting to me at least.
>
> of course, it would have the drawback of accumulating 'dead' leaves,
> maybe even spam. depending on how prevalent it was, i suppose this
> approach would become impractical. i don't know.
>
> also, i feel the concept of a shootout and shootin are orthgonal. i'd
> be interested to follow the development of both.
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> henry

It's not clear to me what problem your suggestion is supposed to solve.

I think the place to understand "what tweaks made something run faster"
is within a particular language community like this:
http://www.haskell.org/hawiki/ShootoutEntry

The old Doug Bagley benchmarks were mostly replaced by new benchmarks
during autumn/winter 2005 - I haven't been keeping track but I don't
think the benchmarks have been changed this year.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Prev: Pocket Lisp Machine
Next: Next Generation of Language