From: Jon Harrop on
Henry Bigelow wrote:
> it looks like you have a lot of experience. so, benchmark politics
> aside, do you find lisp to be fast enough to do heavy-duty computing,
> (in my case, a bayesian network with hundreds of nodes and lots of
> floating point addition, but also written in a very extensible,
> abstract style)

You may be interested in my ray tracer benchmarks:

http://www.ffconsultancy.com/free/ray_tracer/languages.html

On my computer, those benchmarks show Lisp to be roughly twice as slow and
twice as verbose as OCaml. However, the benchmark is quite specific. It
only tests data structures (trees) and floating point performance (ray
sphere). Also, timings vary considerably between architectures. Now that
Intel has a decent CPU, I'll be interested to see a Core Duo version of
this benchmark.

Objective CAML for Scientists
From: Jon Harrop on
Isaac Gouy wrote:
> Jon Harrop wrote:
>> Only Isaac Gouy has tried to deceive people, AFAIK.
>
> That is no more than malicious personal abuse -
GV
From my point of view, you implied that I had plagiarised the ray tracer
(following Alex Goldman) and then revoked my access.

> you contributed similar baseless personal attacks to the shootout
> mailing-list.

I don't believe so.

> Jack Andrews created "The shootin" partly in response to criticisms of
> the shootout. I think it's sad that in the past year you haven't taken
> the opportunity to be constructive and contribute to "The shootin".

Fortunately, my business is sufficiently busy that I don't have spare time
to invest in such projects. Indeed, I have little time to improve my own
benchmarking site.

I think we'll all agree that benchmarking "across the board" is very
difficult. You've tried. I disagree with the fundamental approach taken by
your shootout (particularly the unnecessary subjectivity). I tried. Juho
kindly contributed a lot of Lisp code to my ray tracer benchmark but, I
believe, he disagrees with the way I presented the results. So it goes
on...

Objective CAML for Scientists
From: Jon Harrop on
Isaac Gouy wrote:
>> saying this, i realize it might be a lot more work for the maintainers,
>> and possibly create problems.
>
> You seem to be suggesting that we should show every program that has
> ever been contributed, for ever. Do you understand that we continually
> update the language implementations and re-measure the programs?

Why don't you reinstate the ray tracer benchmark? I still think it is the
best designed benchmark on the shootout (spectral-norm is my second
favourite).

PS: If your answer is going to be "because the different language's
implementations use different algorithms" then I'll repeat "so do several
of your other benchmarks".

Objective CAML for Scientists
From: Isaac Gouy on

Jon Harrop wrote:
> Isaac Gouy wrote:
> >> saying this, i realize it might be a lot more work for the maintainers,
> >> and possibly create problems.
> >
> > You seem to be suggesting that we should show every program that has
> > ever been contributed, for ever. Do you understand that we continually
> > update the language implementations and re-measure the programs?
>
> Why don't you reinstate the ray tracer benchmark? I still think it is the
> best designed benchmark on the shootout (spectral-norm is my second
> favourite).
>
> PS: If your answer is going to be "because the different language's
> implementations use different algorithms" then I'll repeat "so do several
> of your other benchmarks".
>
> --
> Dr Jon D Harrop, Flying Frog Consultancy
> Objective CAML for Scientists
> http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/ocaml_for_scientists

Let no one accuse you of modesty.

From: Jon Harrop on
Juho Snellman wrote:
> My point was just that people really shouldn't be using the Shootout
> for making decisions about what languages to use, since it's not
> unlikely that a program for Blub has been submitted by someone who is
> still a newbie at programming Blub.

Given that poor (slow) implementations get replaced, the lack of a good
implementation can be taken to imply either an unwillingness or inability
of that community.

I'm not saying that is a good idea, but it is all the reader has to go on.

On the other hand, maybe Lispers think that the shootout is biased and,
consequently, will not bother working on it whereas the D programmer might
love the shootout because it is a low-cost advertisement.

Objective CAML for Scientists
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Prev: Pocket Lisp Machine
Next: Next Generation of Language