From: GP lisper on
I have an application that needs lisp and some stealth[1]. Recently
I've been looking at TI calculators, since they have some interesting
specs, in this case a 68000 processor, the same as in early Macs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TI-89_series

Since I'm willing to trash all the calculator side in favor of getting
it back with lisp later, it may be possible to drop in a old pre-clos
small 68000 lisp with the on-board flash and RAM. I'd just need a
keyboard remapper and a video module from the original code.

The purpose is to have handy access to a small database of some 3000
rows by 15 columns, including various simple analysis programs. The
MySQL version of the database will probably end up at less than 400k.
I can think of a few tricks that will probably keep the database under
100k in size. A development enviroment is not necessary on board the
calculator, some host computer can do all the grunt work.

I don't have any knowledge of old mac lisps, so I'm looking for
pointers to those programs and general feasibility comments or
alternative suggestions!

TIA

[1] No, not a student sneaking something into the exams, no matter how
many times Wikipedia mentions that.

There is a wireless restriction, solutions such as an iPaq come with
built-in wireless. While it is possible to demonstrate that a
specific iPaq does not have wireless or that counter-measures disable
the wireless, the security beaucracy is a bit dense and
conservative. Calculators "obviously" do not have wireless, and have
very long runtimes on batteries.

--
Reply-To email is ignored.

From: Larry Clapp on
On 2006-09-25, GP lisper <spambait(a)CloudDancer.com> wrote:
> I have an application that needs lisp and some stealth[1]. Recently
> I've been looking at TI calculators, since they have some
> interesting specs, in this case a 68000 processor, the same as in
> early Macs.

See also any non-wireless Palm, and "Lisp-Me" (actually Scheme). Also
the Linux-based Sharp Zaurus has a clisp binary for it somewhere.

-- L

From: bvowk on

Larry Clapp wrote:
> On 2006-09-25, GP lisper <spambait(a)CloudDancer.com> wrote:
> > I have an application that needs lisp and some stealth[1]. Recently
> > I've been looking at TI calculators, since they have some

> See also any non-wireless Palm, and "Lisp-Me" (actually Scheme). Also
> the Linux-based Sharp Zaurus has a clisp binary for it somewhere.

I concur. I've made quite a bit of use of lisp-me. Its pretty solid,
integrates well with the palm, and lets you have control of the
filesystem and serial ports as well! You'll want to get something like
pedit if you intend to write any code on the palm itself.

I've also used the Z, and its a pretty nice little box, I'd opt for one
of the clamshell models if you can afford it. The older style ones can
be had for next to nothing on ebay, and have a form factor quite
similar to the TI calcs. I don't really like the screen on the older
ones, it looks kinda hokey by todays standards.

From: Ari Johnson on
GP lisper <spambait(a)CloudDancer.com> writes:

> I have an application that needs lisp and some stealth[1]. Recently
> I've been looking at TI calculators, since they have some interesting
> specs, in this case a 68000 processor, the same as in early Macs.

I was working a bit on a Lisp for my TI-85 (z80-based) at one point or
another. The problem was that garbage collection is not as much fun
to do with a z80 as it might sound like. I don't have a TI-89, but I
think it might be less work to create a new, simple Lisp for it than
to port a Macintosh Lisp (which likely is 90% interface to the OS and
10% 68k code generation).
From: Dmitry V. corbatovsky on
GP lisper wrote:

> I have an application that needs lisp and some stealth[1]. Recently
> I've been looking at TI calculators, since they have some interesting
> specs, in this case a 68000 processor, the same as in early Macs.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TI-89_series
>
> Since I'm willing to trash all the calculator side in favor of getting
> it back with lisp later, it may be possible to drop in a old pre-clos
> small 68000 lisp with the on-board flash and RAM. I'd just need a
> keyboard remapper and a video module from the original code.
>
> The purpose is to have handy access to a small database of some 3000
> rows by 15 columns, including various simple analysis programs. The
> MySQL version of the database will probably end up at less than 400k.
> I can think of a few tricks that will probably keep the database under
> 100k in size. A development enviroment is not necessary on board the
> calculator, some host computer can do all the grunt work.
>
> I don't have any knowledge of old mac lisps, so I'm looking for
> pointers to those programs and general feasibility comments or
> alternative suggestions!
>
> TIA
>

> [1] No, not a student sneaking something into the exams, no matter how
> many times Wikipedia mentions that.
>
> There is a wireless restriction, solutions such as an iPaq come with
> built-in wireless. While it is possible to demonstrate that a
> specific iPaq does not have wireless or that counter-measures disable
> the wireless, the security beaucracy is a bit dense and
> conservative. Calculators "obviously" do not have wireless, and have
> very long runtimes on batteries.

Maybe I don't get it , but obvious choice would be a
linux capable pda.
DG