From: Ari Johnson on
GP lisper <spambait(a)CloudDancer.com> writes:

> On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 12:26:39 -0400, <iamtheari(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> GP lisper <spambait(a)CloudDancer.com> writes:
>>
>>> I have an application that needs lisp and some stealth[1]. Recently
>>> I've been looking at TI calculators, since they have some interesting
>>> specs, in this case a 68000 processor, the same as in early Macs.
>>
>> I was working a bit on a Lisp for my TI-85 (z80-based) at one point or
>> another. The problem was that garbage collection is not as much fun
>> to do with a z80 as it might sound like. I don't have a TI-89, but I
>> think it might be less work to create a new, simple Lisp for it than
>> to port a Macintosh Lisp (which likely is 90% interface to the OS and
>> 10% 68k code generation).
>
> GUI overhead probably wouldn't be that bad, it would be sensible to
> separate the GUI and lisp afterall. One of the things I do know about
> early macs is that they did have a command-line if you knew the
> tricks. I also vaguely remember some sort of lisp in those early
> beasts. I agree that getting something non-Mac but 68000 would be
> best, I just don't know where ancient software might be hidden
> nowdays.
>
> I though about the TI-85 too, since I was a pretty good CP/M and ZCPR3
> hacker (some archives still have my 'make' for ZCPR3). Thanks for the
> GC pointer there, the ebay price difference between these two models
> doesn't seem enough to go back to 8 bits. There is a CP/M lisp
> somewhat 'freely' available BTW and faking enough of the CP/M API to
> get by is not that difficult.

I have someone's '8kLisp' for the Z80. It looked like too much work
to port to the TI-85.

If I were eBaying, I'd get the TI-89. I, however, own a TI-85 already
so I am naturally more prone to hack on the z80. That said, I did do
some work on a TI-89 Lisp over the summer. I wonder if I still have
it somewhere.
From: Jecel on
GP lisper wrote:
> I though about the TI-85 too, since I was a pretty good CP/M and ZCPR3
> hacker (some archives still have my 'make' for ZCPR3). Thanks for the
> GC pointer there, the ebay price difference between these two models
> doesn't seem enough to go back to 8 bits. There is a CP/M lisp
> somewhat 'freely' available BTW and faking enough of the CP/M API to
> get by is not that difficult.

Back in 1990 I designed a Z80 based Lisp calculator. The idea was to
run CP/M and then muLisp and muMath on top of that. Since this was a
commercial project licensing these three programs wouldn't have been a
problem. The project was cancelled when the person I was doing this for
decided his company wasn't up to the task of making a product "with so
many little buttons"...

http://www.derive-europe.com/theroots.asp?history

-- Jecel

From: nallen05 on

GP lisper wrote:
> I have an application that needs lisp and some stealth[1]. Recently
> I've been looking at TI calculators, since they have some interesting
> specs, in this case a 68000 processor, the same as in early Macs.

There is a basic scheme for ti-89

http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/370/37098.html

but there are also much more mature c->6800 and c++->6800 compilers.
Would it be easier to use figure out how to interact with the OS with
thinlisp or ecl and compile the generated c to 6800 with a tried and
true c->6800 compiler?

Nick

ps

this all sounds very shady ;-)

From: Pascal Bourguignon on
nallen05(a)gmail.com writes:

> GP lisper wrote:
>> I have an application that needs lisp and some stealth[1]. Recently
>> I've been looking at TI calculators, since they have some interesting
>> specs, in this case a 68000 processor, the same as in early Macs.
>
> There is a basic scheme for ti-89
>
> http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/370/37098.html
>
> but there are also much more mature c->6800 and c++->6800 compilers.
> Would it be easier to use figure out how to interact with the OS with
> thinlisp or ecl and compile the generated c to 6800 with a tried and
> true c->6800 compiler?

C++ on 6800 that must be funny. With only 64KB adressable...
http://www.cpu-world.com/Arch/6800.html

ATTENTION: Despite any other listing of product contents found
herein, the consumer is advised that, in actuality, this product
consists of 99.9999999999% empty space.
From: GP lisper on
On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 18:13:50 -0400, <iamtheari(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> GP lisper <spambait(a)CloudDancer.com> writes:
>
>> I though about the TI-85 too, since I was a pretty good CP/M and ZCPR3
>> hacker (some archives still have my 'make' for ZCPR3). Thanks for the
>> GC pointer there, the ebay price difference between these two models
>> doesn't seem enough to go back to 8 bits. There is a CP/M lisp
>> somewhat 'freely' available BTW and faking enough of the CP/M API to
>> get by is not that difficult.
>
> I have someone's '8kLisp' for the Z80. It looked like too much work
> to port to the TI-85.

CP/M API consisted of two pieces, a jump vector at absolute address
005h and a table of BIOS jump vectors in high memory (usually about 2k
below the top). OS calls went thru the 005h jump and only about 20
existed. The BIOS jump vectors matched the CP/M system calls to the
actual routines. There is sample and actual source code available
that isn't hard to understand for a decent Z80 programmer. Runtime
CP/M code was non-relocatable and expected to start at 100h.

You really only need some way to map into the 'file system' and the
video, most CP/M programs only used 3-5 system calls to accomplish
that. When I was looking at the TI-85, I saw that I could run CP/M
inside it pretty easily. You just need some chording method to map
the keys to 'qwerty'.

The gotcha in this idea is the 160x100 dot screen alas.

--
Reply-To email is ignored.