From: GP lisper on
On 25 Sep 2006 16:00:03 -0700, <nallen05(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> GP lisper wrote:
>
> but there are also much more mature c->6800 and c++->6800 compilers.
> Would it be easier to use figure out how to interact with the OS with
> thinlisp or ecl and compile the generated c to 6800 with a tried and
> true c->6800 compiler?

I'd have to learn C, something I've successfully ducked for over a
decade, while Assembly is an old friend. In any case, I'd want some
source that had a small core in assembler, with everything else built
up from lisp. I can grab the lisp source pieces out of Codemist for
instance, and drop them on top of an assembler base.

> this all sounds very shady ;-)

Hey, that reminds me that maybe we should be announcing those Reno
Lisp Users meetings in this newsgroup, as some of the other westerners
(even the cold ones) have been doing.

The only thing that it's sounding to me is that of a long winters
project.

--
Reply-To email is ignored.

From: D Herring on
GP lisper wrote:
> I have an application that needs lisp and some stealth[1]. Recently
> I've been looking at TI calculators, since they have some interesting
> specs, in this case a 68000 processor, the same as in early Macs.

At least get a decent machine:
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/product_detail.do;jsessionid=FYaRX9nWabh2wBI1PycEjHtXhkLK3IE1n43HDU9JZVeZUU1oYKbG!1113141265?storeName=storefronts&landing=handhelds&category=calculators&orderflow=1&product_code=F2229AA%23ABA&catLevel=1

70MHz ARM7 CPU, 2.5 MB RAM, SD card slot, ... all for $150. And they
appear to have thrown in a decent keyboard to boot.
See comp.sys.hp48, http://www.hpcalc.org/, and http://hpgcc.org/
From: Ari Johnson on
GP lisper <spambait(a)CloudDancer.com> writes:

> On 25 Sep 2006 16:00:03 -0700, <nallen05(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> GP lisper wrote:
>>
>> but there are also much more mature c->6800 and c++->6800 compilers.
>> Would it be easier to use figure out how to interact with the OS with
>> thinlisp or ecl and compile the generated c to 6800 with a tried and
>> true c->6800 compiler?
>
> I'd have to learn C, something I've successfully ducked for over a
> decade, while Assembly is an old friend. In any case, I'd want some
> source that had a small core in assembler, with everything else built
> up from lisp. I can grab the lisp source pieces out of Codemist for
> instance, and drop them on top of an assembler base.

Don't be put off. C combines the power of assembly with the ease of
use of assembly. :P

I think the easiest thing to do here is build a runtime, gc, and
image-loader in assembly and then define the Lisp you want to use.
Once you have that Lisp defined, write the compiler for it in the same
dialect, preferably a subset of Common Lisp or Scheme to ease
cross-compilation in the bootstrapping process. Then write whatever
functions you need in Lisp or assembly, depending on which is easier
for each function. Pack them into an initial image and dump it to the
calculator.

That was my plan, at least. And it would have worked perfectly if it
hadn't been for those darn meddling kids. I got as far as the runtime
and the beginning of the GC, including a calling convention. How far
I got depends whether you ask me about the TI-85 or TI-89. I wrote
some code for each toward the same goal.

I'd be interested in helping out in such a project, if anyone
undertook it. I do think that rolling your own Lisp is the quickest
way to get what you want on the calculator.
From: GP lisper on
On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 00:44:05 -0400, <iamtheari(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> GP lisper <spambait(a)CloudDancer.com> writes:
>>
>> I'd have to learn C, something I've successfully ducked for over a
>> decade, while Assembly is an old friend. In any case, I'd want some
>> source that had a small core in assembler, with everything else built
>> up from lisp. I can grab the lisp source pieces out of Codemist for
>> instance, and drop them on top of an assembler base.
>
> Don't be put off. C combines the power of assembly with the ease of
> use of assembly. :P

A->B->C, and that A stood for assembler in the true history of unix,
i.e. prior to "designed by computer scientists worrying about their
place in history". All the bit pushers I knew kept saying that their
macro libs were better than early Cs, and muttered about the slow and
bloated code they produced.

> I think the easiest thing to do here is build a runtime, gc, and
> image-loader in assembly and then define the Lisp you want to use.
> Once you have that Lisp defined, write the compiler for it in the same
> dialect, preferably a subset of Common Lisp or Scheme to ease
> cross-compilation in the bootstrapping process. Then write whatever
> functions you need in Lisp or assembly, depending on which is easier
> for each function. Pack them into an initial image and dump it to the
> calculator.

Nooooo, that would create a 'development' environment on this limited
hardware and ignore that super-duper computer nearby. My purpose just
needs a 'runtime' environment, any code can be created on a nearly
dual-xeon system. A very calculator like problem is involved for a
limited deployment environment, however the code that runs daily will
probably not be the same as yesterdays code, so a smart lisp base
in the calculator seems perfect.

So the 'compiler' for it is totally external and can be common lisp,
with an output into something like clisp makes perhaps. As long as
the 'calculator program' primatives are supported on the Pocket Lisp
Machine, it should be fine and super-speed is not necessary, an answer
that takes a couple of minutes seems OK. So you are right, I need the
image-loader and a bootstrap permanently in the calculator plus a
basic BIOS, but the GC and runtime exist inside that externally
produced image. This is just like CP/M, you loaded the code at 100h,
jumped to it and the BDOS prayed it would 'return'.

> I'd be interested in helping out in such a project, if anyone
> undertook it. I do think that rolling your own Lisp is the quickest
> way to get what you want on the calculator.

I agree that 'rolling your own' is the true path here and can see that
the problems seem doable within the above approach.

But a 160x100 dot-matrix screen seems deathly small. That's about 5
words per line, and 14 lines and 70 words per page. I'm used to 32
words per line.

--
"Because no one uses Lisp, I'll have my pick of thousands of great,
experienced programmers looking to work for someone with a non-zero IQ"

From: GP lisper on
On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 00:44:05 -0400, <iamtheari(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> That was my plan, at least. And it would have worked perfectly if it
> hadn't been for those darn meddling kids. I got as far as the runtime
> and the beginning of the GC, including a calling convention. How far
> I got depends whether you ask me about the TI-85 or TI-89. I wrote
> some code for each toward the same goal.

I forgot to mention that you should see the Codemist source at

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/codemist/csl/index.html

Look in
ccl/src/cslbase/0notes

--