From: Paul Wallich on
GP lisper wrote:
> I have an application that needs lisp and some stealth[1]. Recently
> I've been looking at TI calculators, since they have some interesting
> specs, in this case a 68000 processor, the same as in early Macs.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TI-89_series
>
> Since I'm willing to trash all the calculator side in favor of getting
> it back with lisp later, it may be possible to drop in a old pre-clos
> small 68000 lisp with the on-board flash and RAM. I'd just need a
> keyboard remapper and a video module from the original code.
>
> The purpose is to have handy access to a small database of some 3000
> rows by 15 columns, including various simple analysis programs. The
> MySQL version of the database will probably end up at less than 400k.
> I can think of a few tricks that will probably keep the database under
> 100k in size. A development enviroment is not necessary on board the
> calculator, some host computer can do all the grunt work.
>
> I don't have any knowledge of old mac lisps, so I'm looking for
> pointers to those programs and general feasibility comments or
> alternative suggestions!

Coral Lisp was the ancestor of MCL/OpenMCL, and used to fit in a couple
of megabytes. But it had pretty strong integration with the mac. You
might want something like Cambridge Lisp (ran on the amiga as a
text-only app) instead. Or any of the lisps of that era that ran on
more-or-less stock 16-bit hardware. It sounds as if you probably have
the resources to cross-compile if it turns out to be useful.
From: GP lisper on
On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 14:56:36 -0400, <pw(a)panix.com> wrote:
> GP lisper wrote:
>> I have an application that needs lisp and some stealth[1]. Recently
>> I've been looking at TI calculators, since they have some interesting
>> specs, in this case a 68000 processor, the same as in early Macs.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TI-89_series
>>
>> I don't have any knowledge of old mac lisps, so I'm looking for
>> pointers to those programs and general feasibility comments or
>> alternative suggestions!
>
> Coral Lisp was the ancestor of MCL/OpenMCL, and used to fit in a couple
> of megabytes. But it had pretty strong integration with the mac. You
> might want something like Cambridge Lisp (ran on the amiga as a
> text-only app) instead. Or any of the lisps of that era that ran on
> more-or-less stock 16-bit hardware. It sounds as if you probably have
> the resources to cross-compile if it turns out to be useful.

Motorola 68000 is a 32 bit processor. Thanks for the 'Coral' and
'Cambridge' hints, googling them is looking interesting.

--
Reply-To email is ignored.

From: GP lisper on
On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 20:01:18 +0300, <dg-nospam(a)midasitech.com> wrote:
> GP lisper wrote:
>>
>> There is a wireless restriction, solutions such as an iPaq come with
>> built-in wireless. While it is possible to demonstrate that a
>> specific iPaq does not have wireless or that counter-measures disable
>> the wireless, the security beaucracy is a bit dense and
>> conservative. Calculators "obviously" do not have wireless, and have
>> very long runtimes on batteries.
>>

> Maybe I don't get it , but obvious choice would be a
> linux capable pda.

re-read "security beaucracy is a bit dense"
e.g., think about those airport inspectors

--
Reply-To email is ignored.

From: GP lisper on
On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 12:26:39 -0400, <iamtheari(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> GP lisper <spambait(a)CloudDancer.com> writes:
>
>> I have an application that needs lisp and some stealth[1]. Recently
>> I've been looking at TI calculators, since they have some interesting
>> specs, in this case a 68000 processor, the same as in early Macs.
>
> I was working a bit on a Lisp for my TI-85 (z80-based) at one point or
> another. The problem was that garbage collection is not as much fun
> to do with a z80 as it might sound like. I don't have a TI-89, but I
> think it might be less work to create a new, simple Lisp for it than
> to port a Macintosh Lisp (which likely is 90% interface to the OS and
> 10% 68k code generation).

GUI overhead probably wouldn't be that bad, it would be sensible to
separate the GUI and lisp afterall. One of the things I do know about
early macs is that they did have a command-line if you knew the
tricks. I also vaguely remember some sort of lisp in those early
beasts. I agree that getting something non-Mac but 68000 would be
best, I just don't know where ancient software might be hidden
nowdays.

I though about the TI-85 too, since I was a pretty good CP/M and ZCPR3
hacker (some archives still have my 'make' for ZCPR3). Thanks for the
GC pointer there, the ebay price difference between these two models
doesn't seem enough to go back to 8 bits. There is a CP/M lisp
somewhat 'freely' available BTW and faking enough of the CP/M API to
get by is not that difficult.

--
Reply-To email is ignored.

From: GP lisper on
On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 16:12:57 GMT, <larry(a)theclapp.org> wrote:
> On 2006-09-25, GP lisper <spambait(a)CloudDancer.com> wrote:
>> I have an application that needs lisp and some stealth[1]. Recently
>> I've been looking at TI calculators, since they have some
>> interesting specs, in this case a 68000 processor, the same as in
>> early Macs.
>
> See also any non-wireless Palm, and "Lisp-Me" (actually Scheme). Also
^
if I thought that I could teach others the differences
between wireless and non-wireless successfully, I'd use an iPaq.

> the Linux-based Sharp Zaurus has a clisp binary for it somewhere.

doesn't look like a calculator

--
Reply-To email is ignored.