From: George Neuner on
On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 01:35:16 +0200, Pascal Bourguignon
<pjb(a)informatimago.com> wrote:

>nallen05(a)gmail.com writes:
>
>> but there are also much more mature c->6800 and c++->6800 compilers.
>> Would it be easier to use figure out how to interact with the OS with
>> thinlisp or ecl and compile the generated c to 6800 with a tried and
>> true c->6800 compiler?
>
>C++ on 6800 that must be funny. With only 64KB adressable...
>http://www.cpu-world.com/Arch/6800.html

Aztec had a good quality rommable code K&R C compiler for the 6502.
IIRC, it was based on a prior 6800 version.

George
--
for email reply remove "/" from address
From: Pascal Bourguignon on
George Neuner <gneuner2/@comcast.net> writes:

> On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 01:35:16 +0200, Pascal Bourguignon
> <pjb(a)informatimago.com> wrote:
>
>>nallen05(a)gmail.com writes:
>>
>>> but there are also much more mature c->6800 and c++->6800 compilers.
>>> Would it be easier to use figure out how to interact with the OS with
>>> thinlisp or ecl and compile the generated c to 6800 with a tried and
>>> true c->6800 compiler?
>>
>>C++ on 6800 that must be funny. With only 64KB adressable...
>>http://www.cpu-world.com/Arch/6800.html
>
> Aztec had a good quality rommable code K&R C compiler for the 6502.
> IIRC, it was based on a prior 6800 version.

Indeed, C is still routinely used on any microcontroler with slightly
more than 100 byte of RAM... But AFAIK, not C++.

I'm not saying either that it's totally impossible to write an
implementation of C++ running on a 8-bit processor with 64KB of
adressable space. But this sounds like a ludicruous effort.
Note that the gcc C++ compiler on 32-bit ix86, stripped, takes 3.6 MB.

CAUTION: The mass of this product contains the energy equivalent of
85 million tons of TNT per net ounce of weight.
From: George Neuner on
On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 00:56:07 +0200, Pascal Bourguignon
<pjb(a)informatimago.com> wrote:

>George Neuner <gneuner2/@comcast.net> writes:
>
>> On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 01:35:16 +0200, Pascal Bourguignon
>> <pjb(a)informatimago.com> wrote:

>>>C++ on 6800 that must be funny. With only 64KB adressable...
>>>http://www.cpu-world.com/Arch/6800.html
>>
>> Aztec had a good quality rommable code K&R C compiler for the 6502.
>> IIRC, it was based on a prior 6800 version.
>
>Indeed, C is still routinely used on any microcontroler with slightly
>more than 100 byte of RAM... But AFAIK, not C++.
>
>I'm not saying either that it's totally impossible to write an
>implementation of C++ running on a 8-bit processor with 64KB of
>adressable space. But this sounds like a ludicruous effort.
>Note that the gcc C++ compiler on 32-bit ix86, stripped, takes 3.6 MB.

Oops. I saw the multiple "c->6800" references and totally missed that
_you_ were talking about C++. Actually though, I think a reasonable,
albeit non-compliant, compiler could be done in 64K if you left out
template support and made judicious use of overlays. I don't know
whether it's worth having C++ on an 8-bit chip ... I have certainly
used it (cross-compiling and mostly as "better C" rather than
idiomatic C++) for embedded programming on a number of 16 bit chips.

It would certainly be a pain to use the compiler itself in 64K ... I
still have vivid memories of writing my first C programs with the
Aztec compiler on my Apple ][e with dual 140KB floppy drives. I had
an extended 64KB memory card which gave me an 80 column screen and a
~60KB ram disk. The native 6502 compiler was ~80KB and had to be disk
based, but Aztec also included a 34KB self-compiled bytecode compiler
which, along with the linker, could fit into the ram disk.

OTOH, I have eerily similar memories of writing my first PC programs
using Microsoft C on a 640KB machine with dual 360KB floppy drives.
Except in the PC case, the compiler took 2 (compiler) disk swaps per
source file and another disk swap to link and I couldn't load any of
it into a ram disk.

On the whole, the smaller Apple was easier to work with.

George
--
for email reply remove "/" from address
From: Petter Gustad on
George Neuner <gneuner2/@comcast.net> writes:

> Aztec had a good quality rommable code K&R C compiler for the 6502.
> IIRC, it was based on a prior 6800 version.

The 1979 August issue of Byte Magzine had an article on a Lisp
implementation for the 6800.

Petter
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
From: Pascal Bourguignon on
Petter Gustad <newsmailcomp6(a)gustad.com> writes:

> George Neuner <gneuner2/@comcast.net> writes:
>
>> Aztec had a good quality rommable code K&R C compiler for the 6502.
>> IIRC, it was based on a prior 6800 version.
>
> The 1979 August issue of Byte Magzine had an article on a Lisp
> implementation for the 6800.

Key word being "a". But indeed, if I had a lisp on my 6809 instead of
Pascal, I would probably have had more fun :-)

"Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it!
Ship it and let them flee like the dogs they are!"