From: Henry Bigelow on

> It's not clear to me what problem your suggestion is supposed to solve.

the problem CVS will solve was mentioned by jon, juho and wade in their
description of the "life cycle" of a benchmark entry:

jon: "the shootout maintainers claim the program never existed." etc.

juho:

>5. The requirements for the benchmark are modified, and the optimized
> Lisp implementation gets deleted. There's no sign of it ever
> having existed.

and wade:

>Why the shootout site would have removed the previous faster Lisp
>version is beyond me.

if several people could all contribute their versions, there might not
be any bone of contention as to which implementation of a given
benchmark was or is best. they'd all be up there with the results side
by side.

but, my hope is not just to solve a 'problem' with the shootout, but to
make it even more useful. it would be interesting to see what the
running time difference would be between a lisp fannkuch imperatively
written, and lisp fannkuch functional version would be, for example.

saying this, i realize it might be a lot more work for the maintainers,
and possibly create problems. but i took a look at the 'shootin' site,
and the author seems to promote the idea of a 'wiki but with a
community-rated account system'. perhaps commit privileges for CVS
could be regulated similarly, and it might then distribute the workload
and the accountability.

does this answer your question, or was it something else?

thanks,

henry

From: Ralph Richard Cook on
Juho Snellman <jsnell(a)iki.fi> wrote:

>> it's possible that for various reasons, people don't care enough about
>> the shootout

I tried submitting code to the shootout around June 2005, but
apparently I wasn't putting the right code and makes in the right
little dialog boxes, so it didn't go through their automatic build. I
tried to get clarifications but a reply to my e-mails took about a
week to get back, so I just gave up.
From: Isaac Gouy on

Henry Bigelow wrote:

> > It's not clear to me what problem your suggestion is supposed to solve.
> >
> the problem CVS will solve was mentioned by jon, juho and wade in their
> description of the "life cycle" of a benchmark entry:
>
> jon: "the shootout maintainers claim the program never existed." etc.

As I said, for this go read the shootout mailing-list archive.

> juho:
>
> >5. The requirements for the benchmark are modified, and the optimized
> > Lisp implementation gets deleted. There's no sign of it ever
> > having existed.
>
> and wade:
>
> >Why the shootout site would have removed the previous faster Lisp
> >version is beyond me.

The shootout site removed "the previous faster Lisp version" of
Fannkuch because it no longer had any measured time to display, it no
longer gave the correct answer, it was broken, it stayed down at the
bottom of the table showing 'Error' (I don't know how many months
passed before it was finally removed - maybe we waited until someone
contributed a working program).

(When Fannkuch was changed back in 2005, I went through the contributed
Fannkuch programs in the tracker and emailed the people who had
provided an email address to let them know that the spec had been
changed. Within a short time we received fixed programs for most of the
programming languages.)

> if several people could all contribute their versions, there might not
> be any bone of contention as to which implementation of a given
> benchmark was or is best. they'd all be up there with the results side
> by side.
>
> but, my hope is not just to solve a 'problem' with the shootout, but to
> make it even more useful. it would be interesting to see what the
> running time difference would be between a lisp fannkuch imperatively
> written, and lisp fannkuch functional version would be, for example.

I guess you haven't noticed the 2 Scala programs we show for fannkuch
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=fannkuch&lang=scala&id=2
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=fannkuch&lang=scala&id=0

> saying this, i realize it might be a lot more work for the maintainers,
> and possibly create problems.

You seem to be suggesting that we should show every program that has
ever been contributed, for ever. Do you understand that we continually
update the language implementations and re-measure the programs?

> but i took a look at the 'shootin' site,
> and the author seems to promote the idea of a 'wiki but with a
> community-rated account system'. perhaps commit privileges for CVS
> could be regulated similarly, and it might then distribute the workload
> and the accountability.

If you think "the shootin" has promise then help make something happen
with "the shootin".

From: Henry Bigelow on

Ralph Richard Cook wrote:
> Juho Snellman <jsnell(a)iki.fi> wrote:
>
> >> it's possible that for various reasons, people don't care enough about
> >> the shootout

> I tried submitting code to the shootout around June 2005, but
> apparently I wasn't putting the right code and makes in the right
> little dialog boxes, so it didn't go through their automatic build. I
> tried to get clarifications but a reply to my e-mails took about a
> week to get back, so I just gave up.

hi ralph,
i see. well, i suppose it's possible that the maintainers are not
very motivated, since it's a free service after all. or, they might be
overwhelmed with emails. is there any way you can think to make the
submission process more reliable or easier?

and, what do you think of the idea of having a community-moderated CVS
submission of code?

thanks,

henry

From: Henry Bigelow on
Isaac Gouy wrote:
> Henry Bigelow wrote:
> > >
> > > It's not clear to me what problem your suggestion is supposed to solve.
> > >
> > the problem CVS will solve was mentioned by jon, juho and wade in their
> > description of the "life cycle" of a benchmark entry:
> >
> > jon: "the shootout maintainers claim the program never existed." etc.
>
> As I said, for this go read the shootout mailing-list archive.
>

> > juho:
> >
> > >5. The requirements for the benchmark are modified, and the optimized
> > > Lisp implementation gets deleted. There's no sign of it ever
> > > having existed.
> >
> > and wade:
> >
> > >Why the shootout site would have removed the previous faster Lisp
> > >version is beyond me.
>
> The shootout site removed "the previous faster Lisp version" of
> Fannkuch because it no longer had any measured time to display, it no
> longer gave the correct answer, it was broken, it stayed down at the
> bottom of the table showing 'Error' (I don't know how many months
> passed before it was finally removed - maybe we waited until someone
> contributed a working program).
>
> (When Fannkuch was changed back in 2005, I went through the contributed
> Fannkuch programs in the tracker and emailed the people who had
> provided an email address to let them know that the spec had been
> changed. Within a short time we received fixed programs for most of the
> programming languages.)
>

> > if several people could all contribute their versions, there might not
> > be any bone of contention as to which implementation of a given
> > benchmark was or is best. they'd all be up there with the results side
> > by side.
> >
> > but, my hope is not just to solve a 'problem' with the shootout, but to
> > make it even more useful. it would be interesting to see what the
> > running time difference would be between a lisp fannkuch imperatively
> > written, and lisp fannkuch functional version would be, for example.
>
> I guess you haven't noticed the 2 Scala programs we show for fannkuch
> http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=fannkuch&lang=scala&id=2
> http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=fannkuch&lang=scala&id=0

i didn't notice that. i'm just talking about eliminating the
controversy caused by deleting old submissions, even if they are
non-working. the fact that they are non-working is important
information too.

> > saying this, i realize it might be a lot more work for the maintainers,
> > and possibly create problems.
>
> You seem to be suggesting that we should show every program that has
> ever been contributed, for ever. Do you understand that we continually
> update the language implementations and re-measure the programs?

i was suggesting keeping the history of edits for each program, but not
necessarily displaying the results for each. and, not to remeasure the
entire history of all versions--that would obviously be impractical.

so, for each benchmark, a CVS history of edits. and with each leaf on
the version, whatever test results were performed, with whatever
language implementation etc. some versions would be retested with
newer compiler implementations, or against newer algorithm requirements
and assigned 'error', or whatever, just the way you normally do it.
the only difference would be that this information would be recorded,
and you wouldn't have to make a decision whether to delete it or not.

so, what i propose doesn't require any more computation than you
already do, just more diskspace.

i don't know, maybe there really isn't any way to remedy this
situation. anyone have any other ideas?

henry

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Prev: Pocket Lisp Machine