From: Josiah Jenkins on
On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 09:52:33 -0600, John Bokma <john(a)castleamber.com>
wrote:

>Josiah Jenkins <josiah-jenkins(a)somewhere_else.invalid> writes:
>
>> On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 21:18:38 -0600, John Bokma <john(a)castleamber.com>
>> wrote:

>>>That's an urban legend.
>>
>> Is it ? They're very nice with a mid-morning coffee.
>> (Ein Berliner, bitte)
>
>Yes, it is [1]. And like most urban legends it dies hard.
>
>[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ich_bin_ein_berliner#Jelly_doughnut_urban_legend

From the above :
"The day after President Kennedy made his famous proclamation,
Berlin cartoonists had a field day with talking doughnuts."
There's certainly room for ambiguity.

Anyway, it's really not worth arguing about, it'll only put me in
the mood for one (or two).

So I'll need to settle for poffertjes . . . I've got Koopmans mix
in the cupboard and the correct cast iron pan.
--
http://www.ian-stewart.eu
From: David Stone on
In article <gjgni5ls3gnpt0eros2l89o74sgnl8959b(a)4ax.com>,
Josiah Jenkins <josiah-jenkins(a)somewhere_else.invalid> wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 09:52:33 -0600, John Bokma <john(a)castleamber.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Josiah Jenkins <josiah-jenkins(a)somewhere_else.invalid> writes:

> >> Is it ? They're very nice with a mid-morning coffee.
> >> (Ein Berliner, bitte)
> >
> >Yes, it is [1]. And like most urban legends it dies hard.
> >
> >[1]
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ich_bin_ein_berliner#Jelly_doughnut_urban_legend
>
> From the above :
> "The day after President Kennedy made his famous proclamation,
> Berlin cartoonists had a field day with talking doughnuts."
> There's certainly room for ambiguity.

Selective quoting at work here - this is cited as being spoken by
a character in a Len Deighton book, in order to explain the origins
of the urban legend, and not as any actual historical account.

> Anyway, it's really not worth arguing about, it'll only put me in
> the mood for one (or two).

Not me, but then I just polished off a couple of banana muffins...

> So I'll need to settle for poffertjes . . . I've got Koopmans mix
> in the cupboard and the correct cast iron pan.

Why not Pfannkuchen? (See the same wikipedia article)
From: John Bokma on
Josiah Jenkins <josiah-jenkins(a)somewhere_else.invalid> writes:

> On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 09:52:33 -0600, John Bokma <john(a)castleamber.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Josiah Jenkins <josiah-jenkins(a)somewhere_else.invalid> writes:

>>> Is it ? They're very nice with a mid-morning coffee.
>>> (Ein Berliner, bitte)
>>
>>Yes, it is [1]. And like most urban legends it dies hard.
>>
>>[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ich_bin_ein_berliner#Jelly_doughnut_urban_legend
>
> From the above :
> "The day after President Kennedy made his famous proclamation,
> Berlin cartoonists had a field day with talking doughnuts."
> There's certainly room for ambiguity.

The entire paragraph reads:

"The origins of the legend are obscure. The Len Deighton spy novel
Berlin Game, published in 1983, contains the following passage, spoken
by narrator Bernard Samson:

'Ich bin ein Berliner,' I said. It was a joke. A Berliner is a
doughnut. The day after President Kennedy made his famous
"

> Anyway, it's really not worth arguing about, it'll only put me in
> the mood for one (or two).

Now and then I discover that what I considered a fact is in reality an
urban legend. I prefer to know if something is a fact or not. And based
on what I know the "Berliner" thing is an urban legend. To be clear, I
never thought otherwise, but that's maybe also because I had German
classes for some time.

> So I'll need to settle for poffertjes . . . I've got Koopmans mix
> in the cupboard and the correct cast iron pan.

That stuff is most likely impossible to get where I live. But we do have
hot cakes, which are nice as well.

--
John Bokma

Read my blog: http://johnbokma.com/
Hire me (Perl/Python): http://castleamber.com/
From: Josiah Jenkins on
On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 13:49:31 -0500, David Stone
<no.email(a)domain.invalid> wrote:

>In article <gjgni5ls3gnpt0eros2l89o74sgnl8959b(a)4ax.com>,
> Josiah Jenkins <josiah-jenkins(a)somewhere_else.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 09:52:33 -0600, John Bokma <john(a)castleamber.com>
>> wrote:

>> >Yes, it is [1]. And like most urban legends it dies hard.
>> >
>> >[1]
>> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ich_bin_ein_berliner#Jelly_doughnut_urban_legend
>>
>> From the above :
>> "The day after President Kennedy made his famous proclamation,
>> Berlin cartoonists had a field day with talking doughnuts."
>> There's certainly room for ambiguity.
>
>Selective quoting at work here - this is cited as being spoken by
>a character in a Len Deighton book, in order to explain the origins
>of the urban legend, and not as any actual historical account.
>
>> Anyway, it's really not worth arguing about, it'll only put me in
>> the mood for one (or two).
>
>Not me, but then I just polished off a couple of banana muffins...
>
>> So I'll need to settle for poffertjes . . . I've got Koopmans mix
>> in the cupboard and the correct cast iron pan.
>
>Why not Pfannkuchen? (See the same wikipedia article)

I haven't got the necessary baking skills ?
--
http://www.ian-stewart.eu
From: Josiah Jenkins on
On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 13:18:16 -0600, John Bokma <john(a)castleamber.com>
wrote:
>Josiah Jenkins <josiah-jenkins(a)somewhere_else.invalid> writes:
>
>> So I'll need to settle for poffertjes . . . I've got Koopmans mix
>> in the cupboard and the correct cast iron pan.
>
>That stuff is most likely impossible to get where I live.
> But we do have hot cakes, which are nice as well.

I had a job finding it when we were on holiday.
I think we were in four or five supermarkets before
I found it.
--
http://www.ian-stewart.eu
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last