From: Gary Greene on
Hi!

On Freitag, 26. März 2010 wrote Adrian Berlin:
> Hi!
> Does anyone know how many ACLs can be stored on file system (xfs)
> using acl_xattr module and in file file_ntacls.tdb?

The docs say that xfs uses 64k.

A small test gives me total other numbers :-( .

xfs can store 21 to 26 ACEs. It depends on the size of gidnumber.
ext3 may store 503 to 513 ACEs, also depending on the size of gidnumber.

The test bed:
fresh created /home partitions with:
mkfs.xfs -f /dev/hda6
for xfs, and
mkfs.ext3 /dev/hda6
for ext3.

only one directory:
rmdir /home/dir/ ;mkdir /home/dir/

and a small shell script, which add ACEs:
/root/acl-test.sh:

#!/bin/sh -ex
G=2200000000
#G=10

while :
do
G=$(( $G + 1 ))

setfacl -m g:"$G":rwx /home/dir

done

OS is Debian Lenny:
debian:/# cat /etc/debian_version
5.0.4
debian:/# uname -r
2.6.26-2-amd64

getfacl & setfacl has version: 2.2.47

Other extended attributes may reduce the number of avaiable ACEs.

Conclusion:
ext3 is a better choice then xfs, at least for Debian Lenny.

I have not tested any special tuning options for ext3 or xfs.

--

Gruss
Harry Jede

> A small test gives me total other numbers :-( .
>
> xfs can store 21 to 26 ACEs. It depends on the size of gidnumber.
> ext3 may store 503 to 513 ACEs, also depending on the size of gidnumber.
>
> The test bed:
> fresh created /home partitions with:
> mkfs.xfs -f /dev/hda6
> for xfs, and
> mkfs.ext3 /dev/hda6
> for ext3.
>
> only one directory:
> rmdir /home/dir/ ;mkdir /home/dir/
>
> and a small shell script, which add ACEs:
> /root/acl-test.sh:
>
> #!/bin/sh -ex
> G=2200000000
> #G=10
>
> while :
> do
> G=$(( $G + 1 ))
>
> setfacl -m g:"$G":rwx /home/dir
>
> done
>

> OS is Debian Lenny:
> debian:/# cat /etc/debian_version
> 5.0.4
> debian:/# uname -r
> 2.6.26-2-amd64
>
> getfacl& setfacl has version: 2.2.47
>
> Other extended attributes may reduce the number of avaiable ACEs.
>
> Conclusion:
> ext3 is a better choice then xfs, at least for Debian Lenny.
>
> I have not tested any special tuning options for ext3 or xfs.

Thank you very much for that information!
Thanks everyone for answers!

21 - 26 ACLs in XFS filesystem is just for POSIX ACL or extended too?

Best regards
/Adrian Berlin

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4